Getting a monitor fixed

smccolley

I have a 30" Dell monitor that is out of warrantee that just s%^t the bed. It powers on but the display is scrambled. Dell's policy is that you just throw them away after they are out of warrantee, they refuse to service them.

Has anyone had any luck finding a repair place for monitors? I tried Tukom and a couple local TV repair places in Naklua but no love. I hate the idea of just throwing it in the dump, especially as it was around 50k baht.

I find it hard to believe that nobody in Teuk Com was willing to have a go at fixing it?

Did you by any chance just go to the shops selling new monitors? If so, they will refuse to touch it.

You need to go to the repair shops. If the repair shops won't touch, it means your problem is terminal.

However, I suspect you asked the wrong people.

Edit : Teuk Com Sri Racha, which I am more familiar with, has tons of repair shops. If they can't fix it, you are not charged. Since you are chucking it out anyway, you can't go wrong.

I got the impression that the folks at Tukom were just component replacement people, not true repair people. They were happy to look at desktops and laptops but had confused looks on their faces when I showed them the monitor. One guy did take it until the actual repair person arrived, then called and said take it back. I don't believe it was unrepairable, I believe it just didn't have a motherboard to swap out. What I need is a real repair person who can diagnose and actually repair electronics - a dying art form for sure.

6 hours ago, smccolley said:

I got the impression that the folks at Tukom were just component replacement people, not true repair people. They were happy to look at desktops and laptops but had confused looks on their faces when I showed them the monitor. One guy did take it until the actual repair person arrived, then called and said take it back. I don't believe it was unrepairable, I believe it just didn't have a motherboard to swap out. What I need is a real repair person who can diagnose and actually repair electronics - a dying art form for sure.

I don't think you took it to the right shop but that is by the by as you have given up on Teuk Com.

There is an electrical repair shop on the 3240, not far from Na Kleua, between the railway line and Sukhumvit.

There is a monitor and TV repair shop on the road down to Ao Udom, about 100m - 200m from Sukhumvit on the left. Coming from Pattaya, turn left at Ao Udom intersection.

Really, if you cannot find a business to fix a monitor in the Pattaya area, or at least to try, you are not looking very hard.

Thanks Briggsy. I will try those two places Saturday. 

I have been too busy working my regular job to run around town, and have been working with a local friend to check out places mostly. I was hoping some knowledgeable TV person such as yourself could save me the pain of driving all over looking.

If I get it fixed I will post the results.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, smccolley said:

I got the impression that the folks at Tukom were just component replacement people, not true repair people. They were happy to look at desktops and laptops but had confused looks on their faces when I showed them the monitor. //

Where did you ask? For a monitor I would go Tukcom to the big shop under-ground floor (near Tops) as they are used to repair TVs and may be able  to do it for a monitor, or at least they may say what is wrong and what to replace.

23 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Where did you ask? For a monitor I would go Tukcom to the big shop under-ground floor (near Tops) as they are used to repair TVs and may be able  to do it for a monitor, or at least they may say what is wrong and what to replace.

It did end up at that shop. I didn't take it personally, but we left it there Saturday and on Monday their monitor repair guy called and said he couldn't touch it. He indicated that there are no replacement parts for Dell brand monitors, but I didn't speak to him personally.

20 hours ago, smccolley said:

It did end up at that shop. I didn't take it personally, but we left it there Saturday and on Monday their monitor repair guy called and said he couldn't touch it. He indicated that there are no replacement parts for Dell brand monitors, but I didn't speak to him personally.

Amorn in the basement at Tukcom is a total waste of time for repairs. Better chance at their Sri Racha outlet but Briggsy's recommendations are the best options.

Archived