Nakhon Phanom University- International Aviation College

Asian Frog

Information about IAC (International Aviation College Nakhon Phanom University)

IAC is in the Budget 2007 and we expect to start the pilot training by the Ground phase around May for the first batch. Selection of students should take place in March/ April.

All the teaching will be done in English, IAC is going to be at the highest Pilot Training Standards (JAR-European Standards)

For the New Academic year (june 2007), a preparatory school system is under preparation: 2 years of studies after High School, with around 1/3 of time spent studying english (Basic and technical). This program will give the possibility to join the IAC for Pilot training or Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Training or some Bachelor degrees in Aviation or Aviation related science. This system will be run by NPU.

In parallel a "school hotel" is launched that IAC is going to use (partly) for its International cadets. In a next phase we will launch a training dedicated for preparation of Cabin Crew (Air hostesses).

To all Issan people, we are working on this project from more than one year and half, it is now entering in his realisation phase. The aim is to revitalisize the ISSAN region by offering some career prospects and a support for modern industries. The Commission on Higher Education, some politicians like General Chavalit are pushing this ambitious project which is not leaded by any personal interest but only by the good will of doing a positive action for ISSAN and its people.

If you are directly interested, we will be ready to collect candidacies and give more information by the end of January. We are very busy all January, so do not contact us before end of this January month.

The information will be forwarded by Newspapers in due time.

Happy New year to all of you

Asian Frog

Edited by Asian Frog

Now that might be of some intrest to me....

I am the Senior Aircraft Maintenence Training Instructor for Boeing, and have and continue to teach world wide. I am also a Airline Transport Pilot. Since I am about to either transfer to Singapore, or just retire, but I do not want to really stop working (Most people that have been very mentally active just die)

I retired one time when I was 38. Plenty of money, 5000 acre ranch in the mountains, single....what more could I want.....There was nothing to challlenge my mind and I got in trouble....

I really want to keep a watch on this.

• 1 month later...
So....for now they are going to offer a preparatory program of general studies with 1/3 of the course work being English?...is this right?

Chownah

PILOT TRAINING

We are working hard targeting a first intake in May.

1. This training is a typical aviation training depending on approval of Civil Aviation Authority (DCA), fulfilling Thai and International standards.

2. All the training is in English (flight and Ground School) by an International team of Ground and Flight Instructors

3. We are preparing the selection process: Nothing is yet definitive but as guidelines for ENTRY requirements:

1st Step

- Bachelor degree required (any)

- But examinations in Maths, Physics in English, level between High School and first module of engineering bachelor degrees

- English examinations equivalent to TOEFL pass mark 550 (Between 450 & 550, NPU will propose a specific English Pretraining)

2nd Step

-Medical Class 1 to be obtain from Aviation Medical Centre

- Psycho tests

3rd Step

- Interview

BACHELOR DEGREE

An Aviation Bachelor Degree is under study not only dedicated to pilot training but also to other possibilities (Management). Yes, in the two first years of this bachelor degree, we are looking to inject 1/3 of time in English in plus of Mathematics and Physics and aviation induction. At the end of the second year, some students will be able to attend the pilot selection and other will continue the Bachelor Degree: but it is one of the possibilities. Nothing is yet definitive.

As I have already stated, this bachelor degree is under study and the feasibility for this year is not yet confirmed.

OTHER SHORT TRAININGS

Other trainings should follow by the next years...

We cannot start 36 programs at the same time: an International Standard Professional Pilot Training is a very demanding project: all our efforts are converging to succeed what is going to be the Best International Aviation College in all Asia.

I expect I have answered to your questions....

You are planning having a flight school set up by May and perhaps in the future you will offer a bachelor degree in Aviation?...is this correct? If so it seems that requiring a bachelor degree for entry into a program that would only offer a bachelor degree is a bit much.

Chownah

To all Issan people, we are working on this project from more than one year and half, it is now entering in his realisation phase. The aim is to revitalisize the ISSAN region by offering some career prospects and a support for modern industries. The Commission on Higher Education, some politicians like General Chavalit are pushing this ambitious project which is not leaded by any personal interest but only by the good will of doing a positive action for ISSAN and its people.

Oh dear, Asianfrog.............Big Jiew on board and no "personal interest" involved? How long have you lived in Thailand by the way? Think some background research on your patrons is required.............

Oh dear, Asianfrog.............Big Jiew on board and no "personal interest" involved? How long have you lived in Thailand by the way? Think some background research on your patrons is required.............

I am since a very long time in SE Asia (and before I have been working in the Middle East) I understand your reserve but on this particular and small project, -until now-, I do believe involved people are not looking for "personal tips". In any case, the technical team is not involved in such a search and will try to oppose to some drift if it appears....

It is maybe unusual, maybe I am wrong... but until now it looks like that ...and we do our best to avoid that such things may happen. The coming days will be interesting as purchases are ongoing...

Concerning the Bachelor degrees, currently the other thai "FTOs" (Flight Training Organisations) are recruiting "Bachelor degrees". Yes, it should be interesting to recruit the candidates amidst students following an engineering degree during their second University year. we will save 2 years. But the Thai University system is not tailored for that at the present time. You certainly know that Airlines Pilots selection is very stringent and let a lot of people on the road side. Current recruitment of others FTOs and current thai University system oblige us to select our cadets with already a bachelor degree for the first intakes.

But as soon as possible, we aim to recruit suitable candidates only 2 years after High School within an Aviation Bachelor degree system so that unfortunate candidates to pilot selection may pursue and get an aviation bachelor degree giving the possibility of a job in Airlines. But this system is not in place.

Chownah, your remark is very founded and you can notice we are working on it: recruitment at the level of "Bachelor degrees" is a transitional measure.

Actually, 'plachon', I think that it is the other way about.

If 'Big Jiew' wasn't 'on board' a project like this one, I (and many more in Isaan, I think) would be very suspicious that it was not a sound prospect.

As to 'chownah's' point about entry to a bachelor program requiring a bachelor's degree, I note that it says "(any").

So, except possibly for engineering bachelors, it is a sensible requirement.

Take a lass who (maybe 'inspired' by a charismatic teacher at school) has done a bachelor's in History (which these days seems quite often to lead only to a job where the phrase "Do you want fries with that?" is prevalent) and has come to her senses and aspires to a career in aviation management (with possibly a first few years as an aeroplane assistant-driver). She needs to start with first year bachelor's maths and sciences and aviation engineering.

Also, I doubt if male aspirant pilots have the maturity to do pilot training till the age at which bachelors graduate.

The really encouraging thing here is that this is starting up in the heart of Isaan. Hundreds more such start-ups are needed for Thailand to become a properly-balanced nation. Isaan needs to become to the rest of Thailand much as Scotland became to the rest of the United Kingdom, for the good of Thailand.

Actually, 'plachon', I think that it is the other way about.

If 'Big Jiew' wasn't 'on board' a project like this one, I (and many more in Isaan, I think) would be very suspicious that it was not a sound prospect.

The really encouraging thing here is that this is starting up in the heart of Isaan. Hundreds more such start-ups are needed for Thailand to become a properly-balanced nation. Isaan needs to become to the rest of Thailand much as Scotland became to the rest of the United Kingdom, for the good of Thailand.

Martin, do you really and honestly think that BJ is doing it for the "good of Isaan"? :D It's like saying 4 years ago you would be very suspicious if Thaksin was not behind Suwanapoom Airport. Like these dinosaurs are really just sweet ol' philanthropists who do things for the public good, but are misunderstood by the 2 % of the population who ask questions and demand accountability from their politicians. C'mon mate, check out the guy's history. And what was that trip over to Beijing about the other day? An innocent visit for a round of golf with his old buddy Mr T I suppose? Even the junta don't seem to trust the old fella these days! :o

And who says "Thailand needs to become [like] the rest of Thailand" apart from yourself. I like Isaan BECAUSE it's different from the rest of Thailand. I value it's differences and uniqueness and setting up a bunch of aviation colleges is not going to help it much, imo. And I wouldn't start spouting that Scotland is an integral part of UK around some Scottish nationalist jocks I know, or they'll see you Jimmy! :D

By the way, did you know that Scotland has its own parliament and Scottish is gradually being taught in more and more schools, just as in Wales there is positive discrimination towards those who can speak the Welsh native lingo. cf Isaan. :D

Some foreign Airlines (Middle East particularly) try to recruit Cabin Crew in Thailand, but due to the poor preparation they do not find enough candidates.

It is better to prepare the Issan Girls to be Air Hostesses than Pattaya Bar hostesses, is not it?

And the boys to be Airbus or Boeing drivers instead to join the army of Bangkok taxi drivers is not it?

We plan to start the engineering school in the next couple of years which is a basic requirement before proposing small industries to come. (No suitable workforce). We are not going to solve all the issues but it is one good will component. If you do not do anything in any case the situation will never improve. Let us try with our enthusiasm ...at least we will have tried to do something.

Asian Frog,

Do you know about the First Global Community College (FGCC) in Nong Khai. They seem to have the same philiosophy as you about education and how it can help the people of Isaan. You might want to contact them and let them know what you are doing....maybe you could benefit each other.

Chownah

Asian Frog,

Do you know about the First Global Community College (FGCC) in Nong Khai. They seem to have the same philiosophy as you about education and how it can help the people of Isaan. You might want to contact them and let them know what you are doing....maybe you could benefit each other.

Chownah

I will be quite pleased to meet them. But until April, I am in Bangkok working from the Commission on Higher Education Office (paperwork for DCA approval of the Flight Training Organisation, approval of the "Line and Repair Station", instructor recruitments, selection procedure set up with Chulalongkorn, University bachelor degree in Aviation Management syllabus, terms of reference for bidding...). If you have a specific contact send me a private message.

Thank you

We will launch the recruitment of the first batches in few days (Pilot Training). The first step of the selection will be handled by Chulalongkorn university (Maths, Physics, English) by the end of March hopefully. For those first batches, we recruit with a bachelor degree as already explained.

The new Bachelor degree system should take place in June. syllabus:

-First Year foundation: Maths, Physics, English-( similar to first year of engineering degree)

-Second year: Aviation English, introduction to economy, introduction to aviation. at the end of the second year selection and orientation Pilot or Aviation Management degree.

Third and Fourth year ATPL approved pilot Training

or

-third Year Aviation Operational topics covering what is required to be Dispatcher, Airlines Station Manager,

-Fourth year Management: Economy, as per Business school but focusing on Air Transport activities. Human resources management in Aviation (CRM, TEM...)

The official advertising will be done through the University network

Edited by Asian Frog