RCD upgrade

cryo

ABB SystemPro units are DIN mount (we have five 16 way ProM units) so you can easily add an RCD after your main breaker (assuming you have room). ABB RCDs are readily available from HomePro and the like.

If you don't have room for an additional RCD ABB do make RCBO's that will replace your main breaker, but they are not readily available in Thailand and you will likely need to buy online.

Note that unlike the UK where the front end is just a switch (and overcurrent protection is provided by a service fuse) in Thailand the front end is an MCB (there is no service fuse), so you must replace it with an RCBO rather than a plain RCD.

Thanks for the info mate I'm only in Thailand occasionally at the moment but hope to upgrade the system next year when I get more time. I'll have a look round and see if I can find two units to replace the main isolators as there's no extra ways in the two consumer units Thanks again for the info.

Ken.

What current rating are the existing front end breakers? (probably 50A or 63A)

ABB only do 2 Pole, 2 units wide, RCBOs to 32A from my current research, I'll check out the other manufacturers.

Hi mate I'm not in Thailand at the moment but I'm sure they are 60A. I'm in the UK till September so I hopefully source something suitable here and also looked for the ABB units on line and found the same as yourself. I'm presuming that being DIN units they will all be the same size as it's an electrical standard but knowing technology that probably won't be the case? 

Ken.

I seem to remember having this issue in the past, plenty of solutions 3 units wide but stuff all above 40A in 2 unit width.

Any way to move your circuits around to gain an extra position?

I've got my contacts in the UK looking in to it.

Or you could use individual RCBOs on each "risky" circuit (outlets, water heaters etc), they are available in single unit width in the lower currents. More expensive and getting everything working can be fraught if neutrals have been borrowed as Thai sparks are wont to do :sad:

I will have a good look in the boxes in September but the consumer units are fully populated with MCBs so I suspect there are no free ways but I'm sure I can double up on some low power circuits and create a spare way as there is a very low load on both the bedroom power circuits only 2*11W LED table lamps and phone chargers with only two double outlets. Or I could double up on the lighting circuits as they are all now LED bulbs max circuit load 8*11W and some 4*11W circuits. I looked at the single way RCBOs when I tried to source the ABB double units but its a very expensive way to solve the problem. Thanks for the info anyway I think your idea to double up some low power circuits and use three way RCBOs, Its the best way to go to gain some initial safety in my condo and then when i retire next year Ill install an earth either with an earth rod or as I'm on the ground floor look for a suitable earth point in the basement. I had a Thai electrician replace a water heater and was shocked by their lack of understanding of cable clamping tightening connections etc I rewired the unit after he left as it appears that if its working its is O/K:sad: Ill be happy to get the condo electrics up to a safe standard when I spend more time in Thailand. The wiring and installation in my condo appears to be a fairly competent job but whoever did it did not understand the protection required although T.I.T :smile: I also noticed that running 240V and cable TV to the same double box with no zoning appears to be a Thai stranded which could cause some serious upset to all TVs in the building if they ever get together.

Ken