More confusion as DLT explains: only cabs with yellow plates are legal

webfact

More confusion as DLT explains: only cabs with yellow plates are legal

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- The head of the Department of Land Transport has reiterated that only cabs with yellow plates are legal.

All drivers - like Uber and Grab - are breaking the law by using unregistered private cars.

The edicts that are sure to leave the public more confused than ever came despite a seeming softening towards the new taxi services.

Sanit Phromwong said applications were legal but only yellow plates ensured the cars were insured, had legal drivers and meters.

This was meant to reassure the public, reported Thai Rath.

Sanit was yesterday trying to promote the new Taxi OK and Taxi VIP apps that are meant to upgrade the service to the public.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-29

3 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- The head of the Department of Land Transport has reiterated that only cabs with yellow plates are legal.

All drivers - like Uber and Grab - are breaking the law by using unregistered private cars.

This has always been the case, I don't understand the confusion. It is one of the ways the DLT have spotted illegal airport transport for years.

All the dodgy transport "taxis" at the airport are strictly speaking illegal in spite of most being better and safer drivers than the "real" taxis.

Come to Chiang Mai. What is the purpose of meters and insurance if they are not used and the drivers play racist pricing games. No taxi meter driver has EVER turned it on in the history of CM as far as I know. I doubt getting any insurance claim out of a Thai taxi company would be easy. The one time I was actually riding in a Taxi accident (BKK) the HiSo witch who caused it immediately started screaming at me "you you! pay!" I just walked away in disgust.

UBER had been a godsend in CM but with the stories of threats and intimidation starting it will be gone soon I worry. Nothing good ever lasts.

3 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

This has always been the case, I don't understand the confusion. It is one of the ways the DLT have spotted illegal airport transport for years.

All the dodgy transport "taxis" at the airport are strictly speaking illegal in spite of most being better and safer drivers than the "real" taxis.

Every single GrabTaxi (not GrabCar, same company 2 different services) I've used in CM (that is a real, licensed taxi) and I use them regularly use the meter without fail. 

The airport taxis are a set price of 160 baht...no problems there 

I find it totally astonishing that something so fundamentally  simple as taxi registration is still able to be screwed up in this country. Scary  establishment that has in my view completely lost its way! 

4 hours ago, yasorab said:

I find it totally astonishing that something so fundamentally  simple as taxi registration is still able to be screwed up in this country. Scary  establishment that has in my view completely lost its way! 

Its because, like many things, the people who control it and make the real money are untouchable.

10 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Come to Chiang Mai. What is the purpose of meters and insurance if they are not used and the drivers play racist pricing games. No taxi meter driver has EVER turned it on in the history of CM as far as I know. I doubt getting any insurance claim out of a Thai taxi company would be easy. The one time I was actually riding in a Taxi accident (BKK) the HiSo witch who caused it immediately started screaming at me "you you! pay!" I just walked away in disgust.

UBER had been a godsend in CM but with the stories of threats and intimidation starting it will be gone soon I worry. Nothing good ever lasts.

Ditto for Pattaya.