Sun halo phenomenon in Bangkok this morning

webfact

Sun halo phenomenon in Bangkok this morning

sh.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Downtown Bangkok workers were delighted to observe the sun halo phenomenon in the city this morning.

According to Wikipedia the effect is caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere.

Though quite cloudy there was no rain in the area this morning.

Our picture was taken by an employee at the Ital Tower in Petchaburi Road in central Bangkok about 11am this morning.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-29

A well known metrological phenomenon  caused as you correctly said by ice crystals in the high altitude atmosphere with the light from the sun or sometimes the full moon refracted by entering the ice crystals at just the right angle to produce a "ring around the Sun or Moon".

More commonly seen at higher latitudes, but certainly possible This far south at Bangkok's latitude if the ice crystals just happen to be aligned correctly with the sun or moon.

There is a song by a group whose name I don't remember now on You Tube video right now with the title, "There's a Ring  Around the Moon" if you are interested.

2 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A well known metrological phenomenon  caused as you correctly said by ice crystals in the high altitude atmosphere with the light from the sun or sometimes the full moon refracted by entering the ice crystals at just the right angle to produce a "ring around the Sun or Moon".

More commonly seen at higher latitudes, but certainly possible This far south at Bangkok's latitude if the ice crystals just happen to be aligned correctly with the sun or moon.

There is a song by a group whose name I don't remember now on You Tube video right now with the title, "There's a Ring  Around the Moon" if you are interested.

I don't think so. I'm sure the "ring around the Sun" was created by the rainmaker squad to honor the outstanding achievements by the military government. :giggle:

‘Solar halo’ seen as an auspicious sign
By The Nation

fbeaf583ad670a8c83bd7c796169ab97.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Pictures showing a rainbow-like halo around the sun above Bangkok were circulating on social media on Thursday.

The optical phenomenon caused by tiny ice crystals in clouds refracting light appeared shortly before noon and lasted for almost an hour. It was clearly visible at Government House where officials and visitors took souvenir snapshots. 

The sighting of the “solar halo” was regarded by many as auspicious in line with traditional Thai beliefs that it signified the light of victory and that the country would pass through a crisis.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319444

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-29

9 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

We experienced this on Koh Samui about three weeks ago and it lasted for several hours, but no one wrote anything about it........except me just now!

same same in Korat 3 weeks ago. Was playing golf, and one of the caddys pointed it out.

Certainly was mystical and magical. Swallowed up 6 of my golf balls.

Many fishermen in the northern hem will tell you, depending how far the ring is outside the sun or moon it indicates that rain will come.  Fishermen in Spain where i  lvd  for 4 years in the 70s on my boat whould look at it and say how many hours before the rain would come and they would get it right so many times.

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

A natural event, but Thai, as usual, want to make something "magical" out of it.  God, these people are superstitious to the nth degree. 

This is the ring of Lord Indra one of the Superior Gods worship by the Thais since ancient time. In old days it predicted the defeat of the Thai army by the Burmese..

When this ring appears it brings calamity. May be great flood in Bangkok?

2 hours ago, robertson468 said:

We experienced this on Koh Samui about three weeks ago and it lasted for several hours, but no one wrote anything about it........except me just now!

June 11 it was reported on Samui, !!! ....with a couple of images! .... You're not keeping up! :giggle:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/987329-halo-around-the-sun-right-now/

On 6/29/2017 at 6:20 PM, madusa said:

This is the ring of Lord Indra one of the Superior Gods worship by the Thais since ancient time. In old days it predicted the defeat of the Thai army by the Burmese..

When this ring appears it brings calamity. May be great flood in Bangkok?

Quick!!! Hurry!!! Must buy Chinese subs and US Blackhawks!!!

On 7/1/2017 at 4:04 PM, connda said:

Quick!!! Hurry!!! Must buy Chinese subs and US Blackhawks!!!

Hey Connda, no hurry, easy, easy, just buy a wooden boat, a camping cooker and lots of quick noodles, some fish sauce and sugar don't bring your Thai wife or GF because where you are going there are lots of nice young girls.

Let the boat follow the current, you will finally end up in Ho Chin Min city in vietnam. Just use your credit card and check in at Ho chin Min city hotel. Simple.