A fun game to play with your Thai wife

JohnJay

For anyone that has any doubt over the the education system in Thailand, here's a game I like to play with my Thai wife occasionally. Load up Google images, and think of any famous or influential person. Show your wife the photo of this person, and see if she can identify them.

Here's my results:

Adolf Hitler - Doesn't recognize him

Stalin - Doesn't recognize him

Einstein - Doesn't recognize him

Micheal Jackson - "Micheal Jackson, him <deleted> baby?"

Saddam Hussein - Doesn't recognize him

Kim Jong Un - "Who fat man? Him man asia?"

Mount Rushmore - Never seen it before

George Bush - "Him man government?" (I think the suit and American flag gave it away.)

And yes, virtually any person I can think of she does not recognize. We finished off asking her to point to Thailand on a world map. After a couple of minutes she pointed at Sweden.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I really think the problem is your wife, rather than the Thai education system, no offence.

Ha ha. I had a tour of my son's school a couple of months ago. 8 classrooms, 2 of them had teachers, the rest were just copying work from some government TV channel. Maybe everywhere else in Isan has amazing schools apart from this village...

16 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

You being ignorant, must be a bliss. :post-4641-1156694606:

I'm certainly not being ignorant, my wife would know the answers to most, if not all of the qustions, if you want to turn this into  Thai bashing thread 'up to you' but count me out!

I get 1 good answer: "Michael Jackson" ; and 1 interesting attempt for Adolf Hitler: "Charlie Chaplin" - It reminds me when Thai television announced the death of Muhammad Ali by showing a picture of Will Smith. 

Edited by Lamar

Yea......we are so smart compared to them.

Strange that when you think about it. We are the smart ones but they often end up with a big slice of our money.

Looks like a little beaver can sometimes be worth a lot of otherwise useless general knowledge.

It is not a question of smart or cleverness but rather of a different cultural orientation. On the one hand, we are not in the same geographical and geopolitical area; For example, the World War 2 was not experienced in the same way - nor in the same side! On the other hand, Thailand has a recurring tendency to retreat culturally on itself; Citizens are not responsible for this situation, but those who hold power.

JohnJay - who's the fool here? Not considered any of this pre-marriage? Someone of your obvious superior intellect ... gets their jollies humiliating their spouse. You must be so proud of where you've ended in life...

Assuming it's a two or three generations gap age-wise between the two of you, try the same on people of her age in your home country

I wouldn't expect any of the eight you've named to have any relevance to a 20 year old in 2017

Even Beethoven had his critics. See if you can name three of them.

Edited by gomangosteen

5 hours ago, Denim said:

Yea......we are so smart compared to them.

Strange that when you think about it. We are the smart ones but they often end up with a big slice of our money.

Looks like a little beaver can sometimes be worth a lot of otherwise useless general knowledge.

And watch us try to identify people from Thai history.

(Meanwhile, I'll go play a game with your Thai wife...)

Edited by Ruffian Dick

Load up Google images, and think of any famous or influential person

Here's my results:

George Bush - "Him man government?" (I think the suit and American flag gave it away.)

Bro, you're doing it all wrong based on those peeps you mentioned. You have to Google famous Thai actors/actresses, music stars & powerful peeps in Thailand, then ask her the question. I can guarantee she will probably get a lot of them right.

Edited by bbi1

Have you ever seen "Watters World" or Jay Leno asking general knowledge questions to Americans on the street? The level of ignorance of their own country and the world is frightening. In fact, one question asked them to identify the presidents on Mt Rushmore, about 1 in 100 could. They also asked them to point to where Iraq was on a world map, again, maybe 1 in 100. BTW, some of the people asked were on university campuses.

Edited by giddyup

6 hours ago, Lamar said:

I get 1 good answer: "Michael Jackson" ; and 1 interesting attempt for Adolf Hitler: "Charlie Chaplin" - It reminds me when Thai television announced the death of Muhammad Ali by showing a picture of Will Smith. 

Well, as Chaplin himself loved to point out, it was Hitler who stole that mustache idea from him, so...

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Have you ever seen "Watters World" or Jay Leno asking general knowledge questions to Americans on the street? The level of ignorance of their own country and the world is frightening. In fact, one question asked them to identify the presidents on Mt Rushmore, about 1 in 100 could. They also asked them to point to where Iraq was on a world map, again, maybe 1 in 100. BTW, some of the people asked were on university campuses.

Where did he state that the big US of A is different than Thailand ?

8 hours ago, JohnJay said:

Show your wife the photo of this person, and see if she can identify them.

Here's my results:

Now have your wife show you a list of Thai and Asian historical people and see how well you do

3 hours ago, Been there done that said:

I do not like exclusion. Certainly not somebody with such a peaceful profilephoto as you have.

I would concentrate more on the posts merit and substance rather than a meaningless avatar, and then you may find you have something useful to contribute! 

Edited by vogie

46 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

Where did he state that the big US of A is different than Thailand ?

He is suggesting that the Thai education system is somewhat lacking. I'm pointing out that it's no different in America, a country you would expect to have a better education system. I thought my point was pretty obvious, but I guess some people need it spelled out.

Which means basically - she was dumb enough to marry you.....

Then - you find it humorous to humiliate her on a public forum....

You've established - and put on public display what you think of her = good luck to the both of you.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I mean really? If you want intelligent conversation you go and talk to other falangs,as long as your wife knows where your dick is and can service it,clean the house and cook what more do you want,all they ever talk about is food and money,and who's shagging who anyway.

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

He is suggesting that the Thai education system is somewhat lacking. I'm pointing out that it's no different in America, a country you would expect to have a better education system. I thought my point was pretty obvious, but I guess some people need it spelled out.

Expect to have a better education system, you wrote. A nation of people who voted for Trump to lead their country, is a failed nation. Thanks most likely to the mindset there and education system. You get my point now young man ?

49 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I mean really? If you want intelligent conversation you go and talk to other falangs,as long as your wife knows where your dick is and can service it,clean the house and cook what more do you want,all they ever talk about is food and money,and who's shagging who anyway.

But not for the majority of posters on here. Their wives/gf's belong to the intellectual part of thai society. :passifier:

15 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

Nah, not in your case. You must have made an effort to pick an avatar. That you chose this one, quite telling.

Where did you find yours, you must have up all night looking for that one, but all credit to you, it probably describes your personality.

56 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

Expect to have a better education system, you wrote. A nation of people who voted for Trump to lead their country, is a failed nation. Thanks most likely to the mindset there and education system. You get my point now young man ?

You get my point now young man ?

No, I don't. I could have used Australia or the UK as an example instead of the US. There are many ignorant, uninformed people wherever you go.