Finding good farm staff

Does anyone know if either the Thai Dept of Agriculture or Dept of labor have methods of assisting workers and employers get together.  In my home country the Labor department runs a free employment agency and the Agriculture dept does one only for farm and seasonal crop assistance involving University students & migrant workers.

We need a person with fruit tree or even general gardening skills (we would train).  Ideally this person would be a man with a wife who could help my wife with cooking & housekeeping etc as well.  There is a staff house sitting empty that they could live in  and as my wife has another business to run and an aged mother who needs company during the day or if we go away.  As we are near a major industrial area we cannot get local people.  They all want to work in factories.  

We really need folk who like the outdoor life and want to work with trees and growing things.  We would pay both according to duties and give performance bonuses, plus free rent, water & electricity.   Any other ideas about how to find this type of person or other recent associated threads that might give me some ideas?  We are in Chonburi North, (nearer to Chacheongsao than Pattaya.)   We also are struggling with what reasonable attractive wages would have to be for these two conjoined positions.

We are in a similar situation (and location in north Chon Buri/Chachengsao border).

We are rural and it is nigh-on impossible to find a Thai live-in couple as you described. We also have a staff house available.

10 years ago no problem, now.....

Have you looked at agencies in BKK? @kannot has used them in the past but doesn't have much good to say about them.

You are going to have to offer above minimum wage B300 per day each, probably higher if you're in an industrial area.

We struggled for tappers for a while. My missus is looking for some home help and offering B400/day. Limited interest. Most round here are subsistance farming and as long as they have enough for food, petrol for the bike and mobile top-up they're not interested.

Try the nearest King's Project.

Not much help I know, sorry.

to get people to work day in day out year in year out.......ect  is one of the many problems with having a business/project here, farm or what ever its hard work....

example of what people around us pay for worker: pig farm 4/5 hours aday 1 day off per month, free housing electric and help with food 7,000 baht upwards, people dont tend to stay for long at this rate.

building work: non skilled 500 baht aday. skilled 700 and up. ie forman ect.  alot of builders want to do price work, this tends to work out 1,000 baht plus a day. builders around us are always busy.

we live in a village that is off the beaten track. we have a cleaner lady that gets 300 baht for 2 or 3 aday hours twice a week, she is the best clean we have had, but still only clean ok.... live in cleaners in the resorts will get 12,000 per month plus free everthing, but it has to be very clean, the girls i know dont stick at it long.

i do know of people that will only employ people from outside of the country, they go through agencies in said countries, this route you will be responsible for any tax incured and visa law ect... have to register with the labour department, i think also now they try to get you to offer  medicare of some sort if injured on the job...

can you not find someone from the thai family that wants some cash? maybe they know someone, ie word of mouth back in the village ect....for me, to get people that will  work you will need people that have bills that have to be paid every month, pick up / schooling ect even then people will still up and leave for the smallest thing, even if you look after them well.

good luck.

an example of the what people around us do for cash over the last few years....

1. south korea. enter legal or ilegal end of the month 60-70,000 baht to send home. general labor jobs like you mention/ factory ect.

2.3 months in sweden or finland blue berry picking, after all costs taken out 200,000 baht if you do ok.

On 7/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, thoongfoned said:

to get people to work day in day out year in year out.......ect  is one of the many problems with having a business/project here, farm or what ever its hard work....

example of what people around us pay for worker: pig farm 4/5 hours aday 1 day off per month, free housing electric and help with food 7,000 baht upwards, people dont tend to stay for long at this rate.

building work: non skilled 500 baht aday. skilled 700 and up. ie forman ect.  alot of builders want to do price work, this tends to work out 1,000 baht plus a day. builders around us are always busy.

we live in a village that is off the beaten track. we have a cleaner lady that gets 300 baht for 2 or 3 aday hours twice a week, she is the best clean we have had, but still only clean ok.... live in cleaners in the resorts will get 12,000 per month plus free everthing, but it has to be very clean, the girls i know dont stick at it long.

i do know of people that will only employ people from outside of the country, they go through agencies in said countries, this route you will be responsible for any tax incured and visa law ect... have to register with the labour department, i think also now they try to get you to offer  medicare of some sort if injured on the job...

can you not find someone from the thai family that wants some cash? maybe they know someone, ie word of mouth back in the village ect....for me, to get people that will  work you will need people that have bills that have to be paid every month, pick up / schooling ect even then people will still up and leave for the smallest thing, even if you look after them well.

good luck.

an example of the what people around us do for cash over the last few years....

1. south korea. enter legal or ilegal end of the month 60-70,000 baht to send home. general labor jobs like you mention/ factory ect.

2.3 months in sweden or finland blue berry picking, after all costs taken out 200,000 baht if you do ok.

So that is what we are up against as well as the Kubota and Toyota factories.  I think I will go to Sweden berry picking instead of growing Jackfruit here.  I am experienced.  I have seen hundreds of  square kilometres of wild berries while hunting in Russia. Don't bother carrying water in September, just pick and eat the berries as you go .  Just watch out for the bears.  They like berries too.  One pic of wild blueberries. and one of out party drinking and one of the dog.picking berries. (I am holding the camera).  Even the dog learned how to drink by picking berries.  Smart dog.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Best to talk to the locals and let them find you a couple or advertise on thai labor web sites or you can get a Burmese / Karen couple which we have and found they are good. There is also labor agencies that register workers and you can approach.

Archived