Army takes on Phuket jet-ski operators for encroaching on the beaches

rooster59

Army takes on Phuket jet-ski operators for encroaching on the beaches 

The Phuket News

1498813071_1-org.jpg

Jet-ski operators have been warned to remove their vehicles from the beaches – or else jeopardise having jet-skis evicted from all beaches in Phuket. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: Soldiers in Phuket were dispatched to Patong, Kata and Karon this week to ramp up efforts to get jet-ski operators to abide by the beach rules and no longer occupy beach sands during the day, when the beaches are to be left clear for use by tourists.

Following orders from Col Santi Sakuntanark, Commander of the 25th Infantry Regiment and the highest-ranking army officer stationed in Phuket, soldiers on Tuesday (June 27) found four operators at Kata Beach with their jet-ski towing vehicles on the sand.

“We urged officers from Karon Municipality Law Enforcement division to fine them and teach them how to keep their operations neat,” Col Santi said.

“This is not my duty, but I have to force those officials to do their job,” he told The Phuket News on Wednesday (June 28).

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/army-takes-on-phuket-jet-ski-operators-for-encroaching-on-the-beaches-62788.php#HoKbM6TtH51EmKtl.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-01

It will be very interesting to see any enforcement on jet ski operators. I expect they (jet ski guys) will just 'pay off' any resistance  .... and jack up the jet ski 30 minute price to cover these additional 'costs'.

Those on the beach are not operating,just hired hands the operators employ. The owners can be found in Local Admin.Wise Up

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

army should confiscate both jet ski's and towing vehicles for a 2 week period for first offence and  the confiscate period extends every time they break the rules ...no jet ski's means no money full stop 

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Those on the beach are not operating,just hired hands the operators employ. The owners can be found in Local Admin.Wise Up

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not so sure about that. Over the years I have directly known some independent operators. No doubt they operate at the will of Local Admin = brown envelopes.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Not so sure about that. Over the years I have directly known some independent operators. No doubt they operate at the will of Local Admin = brown envelopes.

90/ 10 all over Thailand, so have i.

Just now, soalbundy said:

One wonders why Thailand even bothers to have a police force, they obviously aren't up to it, need the law enforced, call in the army, it gets curiouser and curiouser said Alice.

From what I hear the Army are getting on the gravy train. So there will be no true law enforcement. But all the businesses will have to hand another brown envelope to yet another 'official'.

16 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

From what I hear the Army are getting on the gravy train. So there will be no true law enforcement. But all the businesses will have to hand another brown envelope to yet another 'official'.

longer the army is in power the more rackets they will take off the cops. 

Why not try Patong again, and bring a whole Battalion of Soldiers.

The mess in the afternoons between Jet Skies and Parachute flyers is incredible and right in front of Police at the junction from Bangla Road and Beach Road.

19 hours ago, gamini said:

The brown envelope Farang fantasy brigade out in force as usual. They have no proof of their accusations.

I am farang and I have a different theory. For your benefit gamini I have no proof, just a theory, so save your cheap shots please.

Call it fantasy, which you probably will, but I believe it is all part of an extended and orchestrated process to completely militarise Thailand. Even down to municipal officers and the like where eventually the RTP and other similar law enforcement agencies all become part of the Army.

DEFINITION:

Militarism is an ideology that reflects the level of militarization of a state, and which is associated with the glorification of the military and of military power. The process of militarization involves many interrelated aspects that encompass all levels of society.

Footnote:

Is there any part of Thailand now where someone is not touched in some small way by the Supreme Commander's Article 44?

On the world's GMI (Global Militarisation Index) Thailand stand high up at position No. 36 out of a total of 152. The planned purchase of submarines, helicopters, tanks, APCs, jet attack aircraft, etc. should kick it higher on the chart.

GMI is calculated on the basis of:

• comparison of military expenditure with its gross domestic product (GDP);
  • comparison of military expenditure with its health expenditure;
  • contrast between the total number of (para)military forces with the number of physicians, and the overall population;
  • ratio of the number of heavy weapons available and the overall population.

Edited by Cadbury

I drove along Kata Beach road today and it does seem that jet skis are no longer on the beach but floating in the shallow water.

As for the trailers and the tractors that tow them: not on the beach but they instead take up just about every available space in the public car park at the north end of the beach!