Western man slightly injured in fall from Samui pier bridge

rooster59

Western man slightly injured in fall from Samui pier bridge

By The Nation

A western man was slightly injured when he fell from a pier bridge in Koh Samui on Friday.

The accident happened at the pier of Lom Phraya speedboat in Tambon Mae Nam on the island.

Officials at the pier said a western tourist was waiting for his luggage on the bridge after the boat arrived from Koh Tao when the accident occurred. The guarding rope he was leaning against broke, as a result he lost his balance and fell into the sea some five metres below.

Officials at the pier tried to throw a rope to pull him up but the tourist preferred to swim ashore.

He was found to have scratches on his right hand, arm and legs. His mobile phone fell into the sea. Officials gave him first aid and took him to Samui airport from where he took a flight to his home country.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319629

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-01

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The guarding rope he was leaning against broke...

Probably arriving with the Lomprayah catamaran from Koh Tao – presume "guarding ropes" at the pier are not made for farangs to lean against – good nothing serious happened...

wDSC03654_Lomprayah-pier.jpg.d2a1e6fb6358b8f3696334e170646190.jpg

I would never lean against these guarding ropes at Lomprayah pier...

16 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

I was surprised at how 'temporary' the pier looked when we arrived from Chumpon a few years ago. They are not really geared up for luggage either.

Well, the former pier must have been looking even more temporary then – here's what it looked like almost 8 years ago in August 2009...

wDSC05297crop_Lomprayah-pie.jpg.7ca89c4f547e2342de5e7686e2696e04.jpg

...but the real temporary pier was before that, just an intentionally sunken fishing boat with some planks on top; unfortunately I didn't take a photo back then.

:smile:

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Well, the former pier must have been looking even more temporary then – here's what it looked like almost 8 years ago in August 2009...

wDSC05297crop_Lomprayah-pie.jpg.7ca89c4f547e2342de5e7686e2696e04.jpg

...but the real temporary pier was before that, just an intentionally sunken fishing boat with some planks on top; unfortunately I didn't take a photo back then.

:smile:

That looks much safer to me :wink:

Thank you for posting the photo :thumbsup: