Render Not Sticking

carlyai

Just thought I share with others who may be building their own pool.

The metal frames we used for the wall concrete pours were covered in oil to stop the concrete sticking to the walls.

The thought is I didn't clean the walls good enough before we rendered.

That combined with extremely hot weather, which I think, caused the render to dry very quickly and not stick in parts.

So taken all the loose render off, put on a small coat of a slow drying cement, then re-rendering.

IMG_20170703_060045_686.jpg20170701_090645.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

The metal frames we used for the wall concrete pours were covered in oil to stop the concrete sticking to the walls.

Think I would have used plastic film or paper as a barrier, as oil never ends up being a good thing in the wrong places  8-p

• 1 month later...
Think I would have used plastic film or paper as a barrier, as oil never ends up being a good thing in the wrong places  8-p
Hi RichCor, the oil was from the rental place, makes the frames easier to clean. Should have used a pressure strayer, but I thought the tiler had it covered as he said he'd done pools before, but on checking he said only wooden framework.

The tiler might have built homes in Thailand. He however has neglected to read the Thai language or English language Weber catalog. That Weber Standard Tile Adhesive called Weber Tai "cem" is NOT for use in a swimming pool. It is quite clear on page 20 of the Weber English language catalog or page 24 of the Thai language Weber catalog I picked up at a Buriram Builders Merchants Store. The Weber products are indicated for a swimming pool in the printed catalogs. Perhaps you will have better results with Weber Tai Gres or Weber Tai 2 in 1 or Weber Maxx or Weber Tai flex or Weber Tai no stain when building a swimming pool in Thailand. The issue with the oil on the forms is yet another challenge. I am of the opinion that some construction workers can not be bothered with reading a catalog in Thai.  Weber  has web sites in many languages which have proven helpful to me.  I bought Weber Tai flex when I had a swimming pool built in Buriram province in 2008. 

Thanks. He only did a thin coating then rendered. Seems to have stuck well, as i hammered all round and sounds solid as against hollow.

I am not a tiler, but I think the render not sticking was due in part to the oiled formwork and the really hot weather drying out the render before it bonded.

I don't know, but all the hollow bits seem to be solid now.

Maybe in hindsight, if you don't know, you shouldn't build a big pool.

But there again, life if full of challenges.