500 Year Old Temple Ruins Discovered in Haiya

snoop1130

500 Year Old Temple Ruins Discovered in Haiya

by CityNews

ancient-temple-1600x900.jpg

CityNews – A ancient temple ruin estimated to be over 500 years old was discovered during the restoration of Wat Yan Guang, and is now being excavated and examined by the 7th Region Office of Fine Arts Department.

The Wat Yan Guang temple is found in the Haiya sub-district, and was being restored when on June 3rd the ruins of a 500 year old temple were discovered.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/500-year-old-temple-ruins-discovered-in-haiya/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-7-3

That photo tells an interesting story.

In the middle is some really nice relief work. Carved cement, very stylish.

At front left and immediately behind, some poor to rubbish looking brickwork, poorly laid out and uneven.

And then, far right at the back, some ghastly breeze block and cement work.

It shows crafts skills in decline

speaking of brick and craftwork, as I toured a few old sites, Sukhothai for example, I noticed the tiny little bricks they used in construction.  they were much smaller than what I consider a conventional western country size.  Why so small?  Was it just to make more work and keep the laborers busy?  Was it because they used smaller kilns to fire the bricks so wanted smaller bricks?

On 7/8/2017 at 8:10 AM, gk10002000 said:

speaking of brick and craftwork, as I toured a few old sites, Sukhothai for example, I noticed the tiny little bricks they used in construction.  they were much smaller than what I consider a conventional western country size.  Why so small?  Was it just to make more work and keep the laborers busy?  Was it because they used smaller kilns to fire the bricks so wanted smaller bricks?

Durex does an annual a survey on this.