Driving licence renewal questions

My 5-year motorcycle licence is about to expire and I have a few questions:

1. Do the Chatuchak and Sukhumvit DLT offices still do a peripheral vision test? I always fail it (even though my optician says my PV is normal), but they feel sorry for me and let me pass.

2. Which of these two is the easiest to deal with? I've only dealt with Chatuchak before.

3. Where can I get the medical certificate done near these buildings?

4. Is there any theory test for a 5-year renewal these days?

5. I also have a 5-year car licence but it expired 2 years ago. Can I just get it renewed with the motorcycle licence without any extra documentation?

My experience and that of others is that the woman that does the peripheral vision test at Bang Chak gets a kick out of rudely failing foreigners.  I ended up going to Chiang Mai where they don't do a peripheral vision test.  

I have moderate red green color blindness but can easily distinguish colors.  Just not peripherally.......

However, I should add that the last time I was at Bang Chak was 7+ years ago and the peripheral test lady was getting on in years back then, so maybe she is gone now.

I have the same problem as you. I can pass their easy colour blindness test but not the peripheral vision test. I recall a couple of years ago someone said they don't do the PV test at Nong Chok. That would be a bit more convenient than Chiang Mai, I guess. But I'll go to Chiang Mai if I have to.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:55 PM, orientalist said:

4. Is there any theory test for a 5-year renewal these days?

I had to sit through a video.

The video was surprisingly well made and had some good advice. None of the Thais in the room unfortunately came out wiser. They were either

1. Asleep.

2. Looking out of the window.

3. Texting or gaming on mobile phones.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:55 PM, orientalist said:

5. I also have a 5-year car licence but it expired 2 years ago. Can I just get it renewed with the motorcycle licence without any extra documentation?

You will need to re-sit the whole test.

When I got my first Thai driver's license in 2009 the fun part was watching the Thais fail the reaction test then get to take it over and over until they finally passed it.  At age 63 I nailed it so quickly that I had to tell the tester I had finished.  At that time I had the peripheral vision test and it is a bi%ch.  I just had an even more comprehensive one done at Rutin Eye Clinic for medical reasons and I'm fine but I hope I never have to take it again at the LTO.

My license was 1 year expired when I last renewed it two years years ago.  I got almost 6 years on my new license since I renewed it right after my birthday.  Watched a video, paid my money, and had my picture taken.  Not one person in the room watched the video, they just played with their cell phones.

I took the motorcycle license test shortly afterward.  I had to take the written and physical tests (the peripheral vision test and reaction time test devices were not working here in Pattaya at that time).  The only part of the driving test that was difficult was traveling 60' down a 2" high concrete "plank" abut 8" wide but lots of people had problems with weaving through some cones.  Be sure to wear a helmet and use your turn signals.

Here is one on-line site where you can practice the computer test.  I think the questions are the same but I can't guarantee that since it is from 2015.  You can Google for other sites.

Thailand Driving License Online Test

Here is another site.

Thai Driving License Exam Test Questions: Exam One

One room for a video had charts on the wall of what signs, painted lines on the street, and painted curbs mean - study them because you will need to know some of them for the test.  After the video is  a test on a computer and a driving test.   The written test is presented in English for farangs. 

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

You will need to re-sit the whole test.

I should have mentioned that I never took a test. I got the Thai licence using my UK licence plus IDP. However, it is the old, lifetime licence without photo and I've heard they don't accept that now.

22 minutes ago, orientalist said:

I should have mentioned that I never took a test. I got the Thai licence using my UK licence plus IDP. However, it is the old, lifetime licence without photo and I've heard they don't accept that now.

You are screwed. If there is anyway to beg borrow or steal to get a new IDP from the UK you can avoid a disaster.

Have a friend in UK, get one and bring it back. If like the one from U.S. easy to change?  remove the picture and replace, then take a paper towel with some clorox and pad the signature slowly it will remove the old and then sign your name.  Of course this is all illegal but that is what I do not following rules.:partytime2:

You can do both at the same time and only one original proof of address needed for both test.

and you still can do driving license in a later time, but you need to make all paperwork ready and make an appointment and come back just with that receipt and your passport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 7:02 PM, ricklev said:

My experience and that of others is that the woman that does the peripheral vision test at Bang Chak gets a kick out of rudely failing foreigners.  I ended up going to Chiang Mai where they don't do a peripheral vision test.  

I have moderate red green color blindness but can easily distinguish colors.  Just not peripherally.......

However, I should add that the last time I was at Bang Chak was 7+ years ago and the peripheral test lady was getting on in years back then, so maybe she is gone now.

Good tip. I ended up doing the renewal on a quick trip to Chiang Mai and the only health-related test was colour-blindness. I had to do the written test due to my car licence being expired for 2 years, but that wasn't very difficult.

• 1 year later...

So, last year I renewed my motor car driving licence in Chiang Mai to avoid difficulties with the peripheral vision test and thought I was set for life. But yesterday Chiang Mai turned me away for a motorcycle renewal saying that I had to do it in my area of residence (i.e. Bangkok), due to new regulations.

Anyone know a DLT office in Bangkok that doesn't do the peripheral vision test for a 5-year renewal?

Archived