How to wai - a guide to the Thai greeting

stigvinck

8 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Excuse me? How am I up my own backside? Why the need for insults, just because you disagree with my opinion/experience?

I misread it. It doesn't make sense otherwise. Not waiing your own family elders is pathetic if you ask me.

They are not your family, they are your in-laws, they are your wife's family.

Here is a question for you though. Let's say that I am a lecturer and my gf's father is a barber. I am older than him, but of course he is the father of my gf. Who instigates the wai, and why ?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

Here is a question for you though. Let's say that I am a lecturer and my gf's father is a barber. I am older than him, but of course he is the father of my gf. Who instigates the wai, and why ?

OK,  even though you never answered my questions about the need to be rude just because you don't know ho to wai or feel you are above waaing, I'll answer your question.

First, my in-laws are my family. If you're not comfortable with having lowly paid barbers as part of your family, that's your problem.

It's weird if you're older than your gf's father, regardless of your job. Anyway, you are expected to wai him.

My wife's brother is older than her, so I call him "pee" and therefore wai him first. She has a younger sister and she is supposed to wai me.

By the way, can you speak Thai? This makes the understanding of when to wai easier. Are you a tourist or a retiree?

Happy to see you're trying to learn the culture. 

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

My wife's brother is older than her, so I call him "pee"

The "pee" or "nong" should be based on their relative age and position to you, not your wife ?

I knew two Thais who called each other "pee", one because she was older, and the other because she was her boss.

"By the way, can you speak Thai? This makes the understanding of when to wai easier." - How?

Edited by 1SteveC

OK,  even though you never answered my questions about the need to be rude just because you don't know ho to wai or feel you are above waaing, I'll answer your question.

First, my in-laws are my family. If you're not comfortable with having lowly paid barbers as part of your family, that's your problem.

It's weird if you're older than your gf's father, regardless of your job. Anyway, you are expected to wai him.

My wife's brother is older than her, so I call him "pee" and therefore wai him first. She has a younger sister and she is supposed to wai me.

By the way, can you speak Thai? This makes the understanding of when to wai easier. Are you a tourist or a retiree?

Happy to see you're trying to learn the culture. 

I agree 100%. They would be family especially if he hypothetically has kids by his wife/girlfriend. They would be his children's grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Is he going to deny his kids their blood relatives or not try to make an effort to fit in for the sake of the kids? They are not his blood relatives but through his wife/girlfriend and kids they are his relatives (in-laws). Same as in my home country. Even though I did not like my late wife's family in the US I still said Mr. - Mrs. - Yes Sir -Yes Mam because I was raised with manners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The "pee" or "nong" should be based on their relative age and position to you, not your wife ?

I knew two Thais who called each other "pee", one because she was older, and the other because she was her boss.

"By the way, can you speak Thai? This makes the understanding of when to wai easier." - How?

Not in my Thai family. I call relatives as my wife does because that's what she wants and it is definitely ok and appreciated by her family. Do you speak for all Thai families? Evidently not.

3 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

It means your wife is VERY young!  but apart from that he does because of your position (as a lecturer).

Edited by LannaGuy

7 hours ago, 1SteveC said:

Sorry but you are wrong on this. It is based on age relative to your wife. It is proper to call your wife's elder sister "pee" (dtam sak) even if the sister is younger than you. This is in the family setting. Although I must say it feels awkward to me. 

With friends, a person may be called "pee" by older friends if they have particular respect for that person. Same goes for work. Otherwise it is based on relative age.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Sorry but you are wrong on this. It is based on age relative to your wife. It is proper to call your wife's elder sister "pee" (dtam sak) even if the sister is younger than you. This is in the family setting. Although I must say it feels awkward to me. 

With friends, a person may be called "pee" by older friends if they have particular respect for that person. Same goes for work. Otherwise it is based on relative age.

Another poster who failed to see the question mark in my post.

Having just asked my (possibly) future wife, she reckons that in theory you are correct, but in reality, (at least her understanding of it), it would not happen like that.

:-)

Edited by 1SteveC

24 minutes ago, 1SteveC said:

Having just asked my (possibly) future wife, she reckons that in theory you are correct, but in reality, (at least her understanding of it), it would not happen like that.

Despite the question mark, it was presented as a statement. My English is fine thanks.

com

I will reply to your comment. Post 118, 121, and 123 all have a space between the last word and punctuation marks. Trouble writing English? See, mine are next to the last word in the sentence.

2 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I will reply to your comment. Post 118, 121, and 123 all have a space between the last word and punctuation marks. Trouble writing English? See, mine are next to the last word in the sentence.

Merely done for the sake of ease of reading. Though you are correct, there should not be a space.