Best pint of Guinness these days

leddie

Retox Soi Lengkie. All draft Guinness in Thailand comes from Dublin. Only 150baht in the daytime up to 6pm. After that only 170baht..Open 24hrs too. 

only one problem there is my decision to have the full English breakfast at 98baht or the Guinness first! 

Edited by Chicken George
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Maggie Mays, top end of Soi Chaiyapoon (off Buakow). Best I've had by far - they get it from Dublin and its well looked after. I've tried Retox, Wetherspoons etc. but this wins hands down. Its as good as 'back home' and costs B195 a pint.

This plus they shift a fair drop considering the size of the place.

Kind of feels like a New York Irish dive bar

14 hours ago, SidJames said:

This plus they shift a fair drop considering the size of the place.

Kind of feels like a New York Irish dive bar

High turnover does keep the brew fresher and maybe they religiously flush and clean their pipes. Some of the Old Speckled Hen being pumped in the quieter places is plain manky.

Talking of marketable bar themes, do you think a "Pattaya Irish Dive Bar" in New York would have the same success as a "New York Irish Dive bar" in Pattaya?

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Talking of marketable bar themes, do you think a "Pattaya Irish Dive Bar" in New York would have the same success as a "New York Irish Dive bar" in Pattaya?

Haha, maybe back before they cleaned it up as it would be in violation of most city codes but what a great idea.

If you get to LA then try a place called Smogcutter near Silverlakes a few blocks off Santa Monica Blvd.

It's run by a could of very rude Thai girls with excellent use of colourful language who take over the karaoke when drunk & throw people out for not buying enough drinks.

Brilliant gaff & the nearest that I got to a Pattaya style bar in the US 

• 7 months later...

Oct 2, 2015 - Fifty years ago, the first drop of Guinness ever brewed in Malaysia left the brewery in Sungai Way, Petaling Jaya. Today, the beer is still brewed in the same location by Guinness Anchor Berhad (GAB), and remains one of Malaysia's best selling beers. It is even recognised as one of the best Guinness ...

On 7/4/2017 at 2:25 PM, Chicken George said:

Retox Soi Lengkie. All draft Guinness in Thailand comes from Dublin. Only 150baht in the daytime up to 6pm. After that only 170baht..Open 24hrs too. 

only one problem there is my decision to have the full English breakfast at 98baht or the Guinness first! 

Have you got proof of that ?

Edited by stanleycoin

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 5:58 PM, MerryJerry said:

Nitrogen gas is a must to properly serve Guinness from the keg.

Make sure they're using it.

Are you saying the servers must ingest nitrogen gas?  Isn't that detrimental to the health and/or illegal.  Their flatulence must be off the charts the following day. 

On 2/17/2018 at 1:55 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Nope, it is brewed in Ireland.

Guinness itself owns five breweries worldwide, including St. James Gate in Dublin. One is in Malaysia, and the rest are in Africa, specifically in Nigeria, Ghana and Cameroon

Apparently more nitrogen is used in foreign countries maybe because of the heat but it gives it a more acidic taste than the proper stuff

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 6:40 PM, wobblyjohn said:

Guinness itself owns five breweries worldwide, including St. James Gate in Dublin. One is in Malaysia, and the rest are in Africa, specifically in Nigeria, Ghana and Cameroon

Apparently more nitrogen is used in foreign countries maybe because of the heat but it gives it a more acidic taste than the proper stuff

Bottled African brewed Guinness Extra is the best Guinness I have tasted anywhere in the World ...... I haven't had a decent pint of Guinness anywhere in Pattaya.... Always too thin and watery..

On 7/4/2017 at 1:47 PM, 4737 Carlin said:

Maggie Mays, top end of Soi Chaiyapoon (off Buakow). Best I've had by far - they get it from Dublin and its well looked after. I've tried Retox, Wetherspoons etc. but this wins hands down. Its as good as 'back home' and costs B195 a pint.

Any idea of opening times - I'd like to give it a go but it always seems closed when I walk passed in the mornings..????

Quite a dilemma you have there. I have tried both on separate occasions and it is a close call to say which of the two has the least taste ...

21 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Bottled African brewed Guinness Extra is the best Guinness I have tasted anywhere in the World ...... I haven't had a decent pint of Guinness anywhere in Pattaya.... Always too thin and watery..

Tried that bottled african stuff...it was almost undrinkable...nowhere near Pattaya pint quality

I thought the 98 baht guiness was the full english breakfast....or maybe that was half a dozen pints?

On 7/4/2017 at 1:47 PM, 4737 Carlin said:

On 2/17/2018 at 8:55 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Nope, it is brewed in Ireland.

It ALL comes from Malaysia.

End of.

14 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Any idea of opening times - I'd like to give it a go but it always seems closed when I walk passed in the mornings..????

They usually don't bother opening until mid-afternoon. BTW I was in there on St Pat's day - the Guinness was still good, regardless of where it comes from.