AIS pre-paid versus post-paid

NanLaew

I have had my pre-paid AIS number over 12 years and after many years of paying the flat 700 baht (+VAT) a month for voice and unlimited internet, since they are always offering great deals, I have been more selective with data packages. Some of these 7-day, 14-day and 30-day high or unlimited internet offers make for significant savings.

I have received an sms from AIS suggesting I switch to post-paid, get their Serenade Platinum status plus a 10,000 baht discount on a new Samsung S8/S8+.

OK, I am not enamored of Samsung products but Mrs NL needs a new phone (again) so if anyone can shine a light on any benefits of post-paid over pre-paid, I am all ears. Will I still be advised of the great offers or is it pretty much like you are in the US or UK and once on a 'package', that's it?

AIS post paid is a lot better than prepaid. with serenade platinum membership, you will enjoy it even more. the s8/s8+ promo sounds good, but expect the monthly plans to be more (2-4 times) than you currently spend on prepaid top ups. 

On 04/07/2017 at 11:13 AM, NanLaew said:

Will I still be advised of the great offers or is it pretty much like you are in the US or UK and once on a 'package', that's it?

I have been on AIS post paid for 10+ years and not once have I ever been advised of anything.  That said it is easy enough to change/modify the monthly package depending on your actual needs.

I have been pre paid for seven years and never had any issues. Approx. THB 300 a month plus THB 100 for the WIFI plus service. The missus was pre paid as well (approximately THB 1000 a month) but decided to go on a post paid plan at about THB 500 a month. In the end it was costing an additional THB 1000 a month because of the high charges when she went over her package quota. All in all it cost an additional THB 4000 for four months plus about THB 2000 to buy her out of the plan before the initial 12 months of the contract and revert to pre paid.

• Like 2

Switched to post paid last week on ais. Used to pay 300 per month with 6G. Ais offered 15G + WiFi+ 250min on a 599 plan but throwing in 50%disc for first 6 months, so paying 299 before tax now. 

See how it goes after 6 months as I can switch back to prepaid anytime.

Not on contract.

Edited by Telly
Add in last line

What's the problem? i got Prepaid.sometime as much as 50/100  THB a month.I use a Phone for Calls and International banking using a  OTP. Anything else I use a Laptop.So it cost Bagger all .Works for me ,Try it you might like it.  (:

I'm on prepaid 7 days unlimited internet 99 baht ( 105 with tax ), 4G speed 1 Mbps or in 3G area goes down to 375 Kbps, phone usage on top. Gf is on the same, don't really use the phone as a phone anymore, use , FaceTime, Line, WhatsApp etc.

There is another at 89 baht ( 94 with tax ) unlimited internet at 512 Kbps for 7 days, good as well, buffers a bit watching videos online at certain times of day ( hence I went for the 99 baht version).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I switched to post paid mainly because I could get the same phone number on multiple phones.  I keep a Nokia in the car and when I forget my Huawei  at least I have a phone on hand in case of emergencies.

17 hours ago, Telly said:

Switched to post paid last week on ais. Used to pay 300 per month with 6G. Ais offered 15G + WiFi+ 250min on a 599 plan but throwing in 50%disc for first 6 months, so paying 299 before tax now. 

See how it goes after 6 months as I can switch back to prepaid anytime.

Not on contract.

Wow 6g where do you live ?

• Haha 1

I guess paying your account is the same be it pre-paid or post-paid?

I pay from my laptop or mobile  (pre-paid) but Mrs always has to go off to the office and stand in those long lines I see. No thanks.

I have been pre-paid for 12 years+ and quite happy with my current weekly package, but it could be better and include a bit more!  I am mostly paying for stuff I do not use. A better package and a serious discount on a new phone is attractive, but of course they likely want to tie me into a more expensive contract!

Edited by jacko45k

I have been on AIS pay as you go for over 10 years, works for me. Its voice only and I just stick on 50 baht when I need to. I don't need data at home having wifi so I just buy data when I need it. Various deals starting at around 16 baht for 24 hours. All done online.

Anyone on AIS can see their account online here https://eservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb;jsessionid=6JhDpwu09FI-3aiU7ZFy1UuM.undefined

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 11:48 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I'm on prepaid 7 days unlimited internet 99 baht ( 105 with tax ), 4G speed 1 Mbps or in 3G area goes down to 375 Kbps, phone usage on top. Gf is on the same, don't really use the phone as a phone anymore, use , FaceTime, Line, WhatsApp etc.

There is another at 89 baht ( 94 with tax ) unlimited internet at 512 Kbps for 7 days, good as well, buffers a bit watching videos online at certain times of day ( hence I went for the 99 baht version).

I was on a 15 day 512K plan for 168 baht but just noticed there is a 30 day 1Mbps plan for 300 baht. Better deal I doubled my speed and saved 38 baht per month. At 99 baht for 7 days, if you use a full month you are paying about 400 baht ...better deal if you are interested. AIS prepaid.

I was on a 15 day 512K plan for 168 baht but just noticed there is a 30 day 1Mbps plan for 300 baht. Better deal I doubled my speed and saved 38 baht per month. At 99 baht for 7 days, if you use a full month you are paying about 400 baht ...better deal if you are interested. AIS prepaid.

Am interested yes tonray, can you send me a link, am looking but it's a bit of a minefield !

13 hours ago, nasanews said:

They will give you a new phone as a bait and then they will drain your wallet on monthly bill.

That was the crux of my question, is it worth it?

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have been on AIS pay as you go for over 10 years, works for me. Its voice only and I just stick on 50 baht when I need to. I don't need data at home having wifi so I just buy data when I need it. Various deals starting at around 16 baht for 24 hours. All done online.

Anyone on AIS can see their account online here https://eservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb;jsessionid=6JhDpwu09FI-3aiU7ZFy1UuM.undefined

I use data though and already use the AIS eservice site and myAIS on the phone to shop for deals. Thanks.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

That's the one that I would typically use with AIS prepaid. However, sometimes when it's time to resubscribe or rollover, their eservice falls over with either the selected service being either unavailable (over subscribed already?) or just refuses to be registered.

• 1 year later...

I use AIS post paid and am happy with it.  I had to sign up for it a couple of years ago as it was the only way that I could get two telephones  with the same phone number, two SIM cards with the same number.  They send me an email the first of each month with the current billing and I pay it on line.

Here is a prepaid AIS sim that give you a year of unlimited internet at 1mbps (1,000kbps)...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-net-ais-4g-1mbps-ais-12-hook-i203281847-s307018855.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.46bf4b01pEtYi0&search=1

True has a similar sim with 4mbps (4,000kbps) speeds

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/true-sim-net-true-4g-unlimit-4-mbps-unlimit-i106935595-s108013299.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.14.20e819ccf0Bm2A&search=1

If the OP has a phone with two SIM card capability he could do the postpaid with the cheapest plan to get the promotion and add one of the above prepaid cards for data...

If you have a spouse or child who gobbles up data I would suggest one of the above unlimited data cards...  

Edited by sfokevin

10 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Here is a prepaid AIS sim that give you a year of unlimited internet at 1mbps (1,000kbps)...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-net-ais-4g-1mbps-ais-12-hook-i203281847-s307018855.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.46bf4b01pEtYi0&search=1

True has a similar sim with 4mbps (4,000kbps) speeds

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/true-sim-net-true-4g-unlimit-4-mbps-unlimit-i106935595-s108013299.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.14.20e819ccf0Bm2A&search=1

If the OP has a phone with two SIM card capability he could do the postpaid with the cheapest plan to get the promotion and add one of the above prepaid cards for data...

If you have a spouse or child who gobbles up data I would suggest one of the above unlimited data cards...  

Why would you buy the SIM via Lazada when you can buy it cheaper direct from AIS??

The Truemove H SIM is good value, though it's unclear about the registration dates posted.

I honestly have no idea why you are quoting kbps. A bit strange. ?

More useful would be kB/s; 125 kB/s downstream for the 1 Mbps connection and 500 kB/s downstream for the 4 Mbps connection.

Edited by KneeDeep

7 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Why would you buy the SIM via Lazada when you can buy it cheaper direct from AIS??

The Truemove H SIM is good value, though it's unclear about the registration dates posted.

I honestly have no idea why you are quoting kbps. A bit strange. ?

More useful would be kB/s; 125 kB/s downstream for the 1 Mbps connection and 500 kB/s downstream for the 4 Mbps connection.

What AIS store sells it for less?... Do you have a link of lower price?.... sorry about my use of Kbps which is the same as your kB/s... I was just trying to be consistent with previous posts for comparison purposes...

Edited by sfokevin

17 hours ago, sfokevin said:

What AIS store sells it for less?... Do you have a link of lower price?.... sorry about my use of Kbps which is the same as your kB/s... I was just trying to be consistent with previous posts for comparison purposes...

Nope. kbps is not the same as kB/s  

One is a bit and the other is a byte. 8 bits in a byte.

That's why the download speed on a 4 Mbps connection would be up to 500 kB/s. 8 Mbps connection; 1 MB/s.

https://store.ais.co.th/en/sim-card/sim-net-marathon/sim-net-marathon-1200-baht-1-mbps-12-months.html

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

The 6 month and 12 months prepaid data package is now available on the AIS app so you can use it with your own number. 

at 4mbps I see no lag in my surfing. 

At 1mbps it's a trickle slower. 

Just signed for the 1mbps 6 months. Signed the 4 mbps 2 months back .

To get a 10% disc,  transfer funds to your line then to AIS app. After payment to AIS, you get a 10% rebate.