Far-right violent acts up 14 percent in Germany in 2016 - report

webfact

Far-right violent acts up 14 percent in Germany in 2016 - report

BERLIN (Reuters) - Violent acts by neo-Nazis and other far-right groups in Germany rose 14 percent to 1,600 in 2016, reflecting a steady increase in anti-immigrant sentiment triggered by the arrival of large numbers of migrants since 2014, an intelligence report said.

The annual report by the BfV domestic intelligence agency estimated that some 12,100 people with far-right views in Germany were considered ready to commit acts of violence, an increase of about 300 people, or 2.5 percent, from 2015.

"We see a clear radicalisation in both substance and rhetoric regarding asylum matters from far-right extremists," the report said, adding that the use of social media sites had sharply increased the proliferation and impact of such groups.

"The danger posed by the far-right extremist scene in Germany remains at a high level," the report said.

A scandal erupted in May in the German army after police detained an army officer for posing under a false identity as an aslyum seeker possibly with a view to staging an attack and blaming it on migrants. The case prompted a search of all German army barracks for Nazi memorabilia.

In March a court sentenced four far-right militants to up to five years in jail for forming a "terrorist association" with racist and anti-Semitic aims and planning to attack refugees.

The total number of "far-right extremist" crimes grew to around 23,555 in 2016, while those with a far-left motivation dropped by 2.2 percent to 9,389, according to police statistics released by the government in April.

The report decribed as "alarming" growing numbers of far-right individuals with access to explosive materials, including Molotov cocktails and illegal fireworks that could cause serious bodily harm.

The number of people with far-left extremist views reached about 28,500 in 2016, an increase of 7 percent from 2015 and the highest level seen since 2012, the report said. Of those, 8,500 were believed ready to commit violent acts, an increase of 10 percent from the year earlier.

The report cited concerns that the July 7-8 summit of leaders from the 20 leading economies in the city of Hamburg and a national election in Germany set for Sept. 24 could prompt a big rise in far-left violence.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-04

"... far-left extremist  .... about 28,500 ..."

more than 2.000.000 migrants in 2015 alone

That's far less than proportional to the number of migrants ...

Did they expect the more migrants come the less people would be far right?

And btw - what do they mean with "far right" ? are those who object those enormous number of

difficult strangers coming to Germany "far right" 

or do they use these words for not political correct?

The people are starting to take the matter into the their own hands - in the first place, by making economic migrants know they are unwelcome - something the government should have done a long time ago. Merkel had really had better start understanding what this is all about and address the root cause.

18 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

The people are starting to take the matter into the their own hands - in the first place, by making economic migrants know they are unwelcome - something the government should have done a long time ago. Merkel had really had better start understanding what this is all about and address the root cause.

Because her position in the polls has only been going up.  Time to do something about that. Clearly she should change what she's doing to accommodate the violent right.

16 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Because her position in the polls has only been going up.  Time to do something about that. Clearly she should change what she's doing to accommodate the violent right.

Yes.

The alternative is to continue to seriously rile a large section of the population.

6 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Yes.

The alternative is to continue to seriously rile a large section of the population.

According to the latest polls, that large section constitutes about 8 percent of the electorate.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/824007/German-election-2017-who-will-win-latest-polls-Angela-Merkel-Martin-Schulz-Germany

10 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

According to the latest polls, that large section constitutes about 8 percent of the electorate.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/824007/German-election-2017-who-will-win-latest-polls-Angela-Merkel-Martin-Schulz-Germany

Governments have to try to keep all the country happy, not just their own supporters, or it's a recipe for social discontent, and then nobody is happy. It's a simple principle.

If anyone thought that the policies of Merkel were going to lead to peace and more importantly harmony in Europe, these latest statistics prove otherwise.  Social harmony is a quite easy actually. I grew up in Australia just after WW11. By then, Australian young men had been decimated by the sacrifices

they made in two world wars. So Australia granted migration or refugee status to many Europeans. And from nearly all European countries from Russia to Greece, Italy and the then Yugoslavia especially.   It is important to differentiate between what is happening in Germany and many EU countries now.  Firstly, the new migrants had no political or religious idealism over what Australia offered them.   Culturally, we were similar, including the different faiths or sects of religion.   No one wanted to establish a Caliphate, a new Rome, a new Orthodox or whatever. They just wanted a new peaceful and prosperous life.   Social harmony is quite easy really.

The next really important thing is that the new migrants from Europe wanted to work and progress the country they were now living in.  They were never bludgers. Social harmony is quite easy really, something Australia may be able to teach EU now.

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

If anyone thought that the policies of Merkel were going to lead to peace and more importantly harmony in Europe, these latest statistics prove otherwise.  Social harmony is a quite easy actually. I grew up in Australia just after WW11. By then, Australian young men had been decimated by the sacrifices

they made in two world wars. So Australia granted migration or refugee status to many Europeans. And from nearly all European countries from Russia to Greece, Italy and the then Yugoslavia especially.   It is important to differentiate between what is happening in Germany and many EU countries now.  Firstly, the new migrants had no political or religious idealism over what Australia offered them.   Culturally, we were similar, including the different faiths or sects of religion.   No one wanted to establish a Caliphate, a new Rome, a new Orthodox or whatever. They just wanted a new peaceful and prosperous life.   Social harmony is quite easy really.

The next really important thing is that the new migrants from Europe wanted to work and progress the country they were now living in.  They were never bludgers. Social harmony is quite easy really, something Australia may be able to teach EU now.

You may like to check out the number of economic refugees / asylum seekers entering Germany originating from Balkan countries, including Serbia.

38 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You may like to check out the number of economic refugees / asylum seekers entering Germany originating from Balkan countries, including Serbia.

And what has that to do with my post. Many Balkans settled into Australia since the mid 40's.

They were not economic refugees, they were legitimate migrants,  who after applying to Australia to migrate, were granted residency, after security screening. What are you blathering on about? 

6 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Governments have to try to keep all the country happy, not just their own supporters, or it's a recipe for social discontent, and then nobody is happy. It's a simple principle.

So before you wrote this: "The alternative is to continue to seriously rile a large section of the population."

Apparently you've dropped the contention that it's a large section of the population.

So exactly what does a government do to make the bigoted right happy that won't make the majority of its citizens unhappy?

I am sure the govenment wont wake up and realise people are getting fed up of their countries being used as free board and lodgings  

Edited by Caps

49 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

And what has that to do with my post. Many Balkans settled into Australia since the mid 40's.

They were not economic refugees, they were legitimate migrants,  who after applying to Australia to migrate, were granted residency, after security screening. What are you blathering on about? 

Approx 40% of economic refugees / asylum seekers in Germany originate from Balkan countries

You mean people leaving devastated postwar Europe for an economically prosperous Australia were not economic refugees? They were going to Australia because they were big fans of marsupials?

And they were screened for security reasons? Really?

Edited by ilostmypassword

The key point you make is "they were legitimate migrants,  who after applying to Australia to migrate, were granted residency, after security screening."   They were not entering the country illegally.

1 minute ago, landslide said:

The key point you make is "they were legitimate migrants,  who after applying to Australia to migrate, were granted residency, after security screening."   They were not entering the country illegally.

So all economic refugees are by definition illegal immigrants? Really?

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

So all economic refugees are by definition illegal immigrants? Really?

If they did not apply for residency through normal diplomatic channels, then yes, really.  Would you let someone enter your home uninvited just because they did not like their own home?

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

So before you wrote this: "The alternative is to continue to seriously rile a large section of the population."

Apparently you've dropped the contention that it's a large section of the population.

So exactly what does a government do to make the bigoted right happy that won't make the majority of its citizens unhappy?

Alright, I'll explain.

As you know, it's all about immigration.

A large section of the population, left and right, is unhappy about immigration (Cologne sexual assaults etc). Deny it if you will. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/701859/Refugees-NOT-welcome-as-66-of-Germans-turn-on-Merkel-over-migrants

A small section of those who are very unhappy about it polarise their opinion for rhetorical effect and become the 'violent right'.

If Merkel's support is increasing, it's because:

a) all the migrants, including all the Turks, have shifted to her side because they fear the game is up.

B) young people are shifting to her side because they are have grown up coddled and idealistic and are therefore afraid.

c) many others are so terrified of the violent right, given Germany's history, that they shift to the left as a countermeasure.

Note than none of these reasons implies that ethnic Germans actually want more immigrants in the country.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that a large number of those who support Merkel are still unhappy about immigration.

The solution: The government needs to take measures to bring stability back to society - that means NOT carrying on with the same immigration policies as before. I would suggest:

i) establishing clear moral and practical criteria for determining who has a right to stay and deporting those who don't (ie, brazen economic migrants escaping from poor countries - no; qualified professionals bringing valuable skills - yes.)

ii) not allowing any migrants to settle there in perpetuity, but only on the basis of periodic work permit approval (like Singapore).

And if you say Germany can't do that because of EU rules - well, that shows how bolloxed up Europe is, and also shows why Britain needs Brexit.

Edited by ddavidovsky

11 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Oh...so you condone violence against a whole group of people!

Good to know, what an upright citizen you are!

:bah:

6 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Oh...so you condone violence against a whole group of people!

Good to know, what an upright citizen you are!

:bah:

It's a political blunder to take violence as an excuse for not doing something. Violence is only a symptom of a problem which it's the government's responsibility to address.

Btw, I observe the workings of the world, as always, with as much dispassion as if I were observing from the Moon.

Edited by ddavidovsky

21 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

It's a political blunder to take violence as an excuse for not doing something. Violence is only a symptom of a problem which it's the government's responsibility to address.

Btw, I observe the workings of the world, as always, with as much dispassion as if I were observing from the Moon.

Well, then, by your standards, violence by Muslims is also only a symptom of a problem which it's the government's responsibility to address.

Of course, this statement is just as fatuous as yours. It's not a  question of whether it's a symptom but what the remedy is. And what I see is a big gulf between the remedies proposed depending on who is committing the violence.

20 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Good Luck Germany, when you officially become a Muslim majority country, then you

will indeed need al the luck you can get,   for sure.

Geezer

How are roughly 5.5 % of the German population " a Muslim majority"?

God in heaven, stop with this BS already!

Yes , Yes at the present the Muslims are a small percent of the population , but if Germany keeps bringing them In, in the thousands they will eventually swell their numbers by their practices of having big families, so In The  Future their numbers and percentages will also swell. I am  just looking to the possible future, so yes guys, today you can breathe easy. and if you are my age of the middle 60s you have no worries, but if you are Germans,  then think of your children and grand children, but if you are not in Germany , then like me you have no worries. So Don't Worry Be Happy.

Geezer

22 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yes , Yes at the present the Muslims are a small percent of the population , but if Germany keeps bringing them In, in the thousands they will eventually swell their numbers by their practices of having big families, so In The  Future their numbers and percentages will also swell. I am  just looking to the possible future, so yes guys, today you can breathe easy. and if you are my age of the middle 60s you have no worries, but if you are Germans,  then think of your children and grand children, but if you are not in Germany , then like me you have no worries. So Don't Worry Be Happy.

Geezer

I think you're confusing Muslims with Gremlins.

In fact, as demographers have repeatedly shown, when Muslims emigrate to countries where there is good healthcare and contraception is easily available, their birth rates drop markedly.

Edited by ilostmypassword

Well Mister, you should come to Canada and see the population here. With our present

PM still saying please come to Canada, We accept everyone.  I have seen many families here

and they are still 5 children and more, as Canada has generous child benefits.

Hence my attitude is politically incorrect.

Geezer