U.S. urges power-sharing deal in Northern Ireland

webfact

U.S. urges power-sharing deal in Northern Ireland

tag-reuters-2.jpg

Sinn Fein President, Gerry Adams, joins demonstrators participating in the ‘March For Marriage,’ demanding equal marriage legislation in Northern Ireland, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, July 1, 2017. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyn

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday urged Northern Ireland's two major political parties to reach an agreement for a power-sharing government, after talks broke down on Tuesday between Sinn Fein and the Democratic Unionist Party.

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement that the "United States regrets that the political parties in Northern Ireland have not yet reached an agreement to establish a power-sharing regional government following elections in March."    

She urged the DUP and Sinn Fein "to continue their discussions with the aim of forming an effective, responsive, and representative government as soon as possible."

(Reporting by Yeganeh Torbati; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-06

1 minute ago, Caps said:

Maybe the US should sort out its own problems before butting its nose into others countries.    

maybe so,

but they just might do better in the north of UK than in the middle east and afg.

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

maybe so,

but they just might do better in the north of UK than in the middle east and afg.

debatable 

The US was always part of the problem in N Ireland by allowing their citizens to finance and fund the IRA. They should keep their nose out of it and sort out the divisions in their own country caused largely by their POTUS.

Or maybe the British Government should be giving them advice which I am sure will be welcomed by them

1 hour ago, ResandePohm said:

The US was always part of the problem in N Ireland by allowing their citizens to finance and fund the IRA. They should keep their nose out of it and sort out the divisions in their own country caused largely by their POTUS.

Or maybe the British Government should be giving them advice which I am sure will be welcomed by them

That's true. NORAID was responsible for providing large amounts of money to the Provisional IRA. And members of the IRA traveled freely to the US.

All that changed when President Bush declared the US war on terrorism. And remarkably the Provisional IRA suddenly wanted to negotiate more rather than simply demand.

Bill Clinton, for all his faults, played a significant role in the peace process. 

America has contributed in several ways to helping the peace process in Northern Ireland. Only criticism is they took too long to recognize the Provisional IRA as terrorists.

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

Nor can fighting thugs - whether or not they are employed by the government.

Alas, the occasional bad egg get's in everywhere.

But, blowing up innocent women, children, and men; murdering people at will, for whatever reasons requires dealing with and using extra ordinary measures if needed.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Alas, the occasional bad egg get's in everywhere.

But, blowing up innocent women, children, and men; murdering people at will, for whatever reasons requires dealing with and using extra ordinary measures if needed.

As did the indecent treatment of Northern Ireland's catholics.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

As did the indecent treatment of Northern Ireland's catholics.

Which is why the British Army originally went in - to protect the catholics who had little confidence in the police doing so.

But a terrorist group, as they often do, exploited that for their own reasons. Not all of which are political or to protect people.

How many years were you there?

so here we have it no wonder the two main parties in the north can,t agree when we 

have two TV members with divided opinions. just a thought were would the North be

now if the IRA had not intervened ?

Well done Conservative party.

It wasn't enough to split the mainland in two with your vote grabbing (from UKIP) promise of a referendum.

Now you place the DUP at the very heart of British government, with the inevitable consequences for Ulster, in your immoral, destructive, utterly self-seeking desperation to cling to power.

Soon be back to "normal" in Britains very own "restive province".

Edited by Enoon

15 minutes ago, oldgent said:

so here we have it no wonder the two main parties in the north can,t agree when we 

have two TV members with divided opinions. just a thought were would the North be

now if the IRA had not intervened ?

The dispute revealing itself in these pages is but a taste of things to come in Ulster itself.

Thank you once again Conservatives.

Edited by Enoon

Well, they were not agreeing even before the election. Afterwards, the real unionists lost all their seats and you only have 2 extreme parties based on opposing religious sects, Bringing the DUP into the ruling government didn't help though. 

The elephant in the room is that there are now more Catholics than Protestants in Northern Ireland. But less Catholic voters. Sooner or later, Sinn Fein will BE the government there. Best for the UK to start thinking about when to walk away.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

The dispute revealing itself in these pages is but a taste of things to come in Ulster itself.

Thank you once again Conservatives.

are you suggesting that the north is going back to the bad old days.

the problem is they don,t have proper people with knowledge of politics

what they have is loud mouthed jumped up self appointed  back street people

who use the bigots to keep them in power

So what about the loyalist death squads , the UVF

, UDA, Red Hand Commandos, The Glenane Gang , et al? 

The bigotry, sectarianism and deprivation of basic human rights to the nationalists in the north of Ireland are what gave rise to the troubles and the massive support for the republican movement not only in the northeast of the island  but around the world including the USA , AUstralia and elsewhere. 

Perhaps if the people of the UK were not indifferent and apathetic to the situation there decades of bloodshed could have been avoided. 

25 minutes ago, Beachdude said:

So what about the loyalist death squads , the UVF

, UDA, Red Hand Commandos, The Glenane Gang , et al? 

The bigotry, sectarianism and deprivation of basic human rights to the nationalists in the north of Ireland are what gave rise to the troubles and the massive support for the republican movement not only in the northeast of the island  but around the world including the USA , AUstralia and elsewhere. 

Perhaps if the people of the UK were not indifferent and apathetic to the situation there decades of bloodshed could have been avoided. 

don,t forget the  late Mrs Thatcher

11 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

How many years were you there?

If i were to hazard a guess I would say he did None.   Its far better/safer/easier being a keyboard warrior.  Having worked with the RUC very closely in the 3.5 years I spent there I found them to be very professional and brave doing a difficult job and I worked with catholics in the RUC

Edited by Caps

2 hours ago, Caps said:

If i were to hazard a guess I would say he did None.   Its far better/safer/easier being a keyboard warrior.  Having worked with the RUC very closely in the 3.5 years I spent there I found them to be very professional and brave doing a difficult job and I worked with catholics in the RUC

i would guess you were there in the time of the British army

i think the Ref.. to the RUC in post 8 he was referring to the early days when they 

misshandled the peace marches