Updates on Which Gyms or Personal Trainers to Use?

CN1050

I've been reading through the forums and it seems like all of the posts in regards to gyms and personal trainers are either outdated or for other areas of Thailand. I wanted to get into shape, but haven't exercised since high school and needed someone to help get me on track. Just going to the gym myself I wouldn't know how to use any of the machines or where to focus!

I'm in Chiang Mai Land and ideally would be looking for something close but if there are better options elsewhere I'd certainly consider, at least at first to learn about machines and get a plan in place.

If anyone has any suggestions of gyms or trainers they know or are currently using, I'd love to hear about them. Just looking to turn my health around.

Depends on how much you can afford or are willing to spend.  I tend to be a cheap charlie in this department.  I simply want free weights and aerobic machines.  I pay 30 THB a visit to the gym I use in Lamphun.

When I lived in CM I used Fitness Thai  http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/contact.php.  My biggest complaint with them was their reluctance to keep their equipment maintained including not having enough steel pins for the weight racks on their weight machines.  They have personal trainers.  But overall they are an OK place for the price. Personally I'd recommend them.

One of the closest places to you is the fitness center at Centra Duangawan Hotel on the fourth floor  http://www.duangtawanhotelchiangmai.com/facilities.html
I consider it a frilly boutique fitness place.  Pricy. Crowded. Limited equipment.  Not sure about personal trainer.  

You also have a swimming pool at the Southwest side of CM Land.  Swimming is excellent exercise.  
Best of luck.  Happy training.

Edited by connda

21 hours ago, connda said:

Depends on how much you can afford or are willing to spend.  I tend to be a cheap charlie in this department.  I simply want free weights and aerobic machines.  I pay 30 THB a visit to the gym I use in Lamphun.

When I lived in CM I used Fitness Thai  http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/contact.php.  My biggest complaint with them was their reluctance to keep their equipment maintained including not having enough steel pins for the weight racks on their weight machines.  They have personal trainers.  But overall they are an OK place for the price. Personally I'd recommend them.

One of the closest places to you is the fitness center at Centra Duangawan Hotel on the fourth floor  http://www.duangtawanhotelchiangmai.com/facilities.html
I consider it a frilly boutique fitness place.  Pricy. Crowded. Limited equipment.  Not sure about personal trainer.  

You also have a swimming pool at the Southwest side of CM Land.  Swimming is excellent exercise.  

What I don't like about the Duangtawan hotel fitness center is, they have those air freshener gadgets stuck up in many corners You will notice those little white thinggys up there. They "hiss" out every few minutes. AND they are  known carcinogenic contributors. They are banned in many places in the USA, Canada and some places in Europe, especially gyms. Don't need to be sucking stuff like that down yer lungs as you're pushing a thousand ( okay, forty ) pounds over yer head.

• Like 1

Do you have access to a computer? Umm, I'll assume....yes. Then why not just type in Athlean x.com. or athlean x you tube? Best darn exercise site on the net. And it does not have to cost you a baht, unless you want to buy into one of his programs, which are well worth the money (IMHO of course ) Exercises for any and all parts of the body, with weights, without weights, nutrition plans, the works. He has put out hundreds of vids, and still puts out one a week.

The Chiang Mai Orchid just re-vamped their gym last July. New equipment, new showers, etc. The locker room setup sorta sucks, but you have two to choose from. And they have a lovely SALTWATER POOL. All the young guys working there are body builders, ( the ladies don't seem to know dick all ) and will teach you how to use the machines for free. You may be able to hook one of them ($ ) to become your personal trainer. A wee bit expensive, but it's worth it for me. Oh yeah, I've never seen more than fifteen people there at any one time. Maybe because of the cost?

Buy an old bicycle, pedal out to the 700 stadium, on the dedicated bike trail, then swim in the olympic pool for 20 laps, at least 4 different strokes.  Cool down, dry off and then move downstairs to the weight training department with loads of various machines.  You'll be fit in no time at small cost.  3x per week.  

Swim = 60 baht, machine use the same.  approx.

Going to go through and respond to these posts but some of them come off as ads, are misinformed or sorta just dickish haha. Will reply to helpful people though.

Mostly looking for the personal trainer part just so that I can have some guidance and help down the line of where to be putting focus into. Gyms in my opinion are kind of a dime a dozen unless you are in need of serious weights and equipment. Trainers on the other hand, are workout tools that can be really shit or really good, and if they're shit then you can really mess up your body. Was moreso looking for recommendations on a trainer, my apologies for not being too specific. The gym info is helpful though.

23 hours ago, nickmondo said:

CNX Gym near to the Nissan Garage, fairly close to the shopping mall

Do you use this gym personally? As far as trainers, do they offer anything?

The food seems sorta distracting, that was my issue that led to me needing to work out haha

On 7/7/2017 at 1:58 PM, connda said:

Fitness Thailand seems cool but they're on the opposite side of town. The hotel gym seems off and other people here seem to bash it so probably a pass on that as well. If you know any trainers that operate outside the gyms worth their salt then let me know though!

4 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Do you have access to a computer? Umm, I'll assume....yes. Then why not just type in Athlean x.com. or athlean x you tube? Best darn exercise site on the net. And it does not have to cost you a baht, unless you want to buy into one of his programs, which are well worth the money (IMHO of course ) Exercises for any and all parts of the body, with weights, without weights, nutrition plans, the works. He has put out hundreds of vids, and still puts out one a week.

Was moreso looking for someone that could talk to me about my own goals, abilities and eating habits and work with me on a way to go about working out responsibly. I know of this guy from weighlifting mates and he can help form and what not but I am looking for a trainer, not just a youtube guide. All the perks of a human including personalized help, their informed advice down the line a few months, and maybe someone to work out with and keep you on program, are all helpful.

35 minutes ago, jobin said:

Buy an old bicycle, pedal out to the 700 stadium, on the dedicated bike trail, then swim in the olympic pool for 20 laps, at least 4 different strokes.  Cool down, dry off and then move downstairs to the weight training department with loads of various machines.  You'll be fit in no time at small cost.  3x per week.  

Swim = 60 baht, machine use the same.  approx.

Um, going to say you didn't read or are really naive? Pardon if I'm wrong but that place is awfully far.

8 hours ago, Loaded said:

If you want to avoid the beer chang vests, tough guy talk from pot-bellied pigs and little dark farang girlfriends from a medieval village, try somewhere that costs over 15,000 baht/year.

You seem to have rep on here but your comment is confusing and I don't get what you are trying to say. Either way it wasn't super... helpful?

I work out at O2 Gym on Mahadol Rd... there is a farrang guy that trains others there most morning at 9-10am... he seems to be very engaged with his clients... I have never once seen him using his cellphone while training someone ;-)

Ruamchok Fitness Center

This just recently opened and all the equipment is brand new. They have everything you could possibly want to lift or pull or push. They have yoga sessions as well as other group classes, which are free if you sign up for a year membership. 

They have trainers but they don't come cheaply, however, they do seem to have knowledge of how to set up and maintain a work-out program. 

14 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I work out at O2 Gym on Mahadol Rd... there is a farrang guy that trains others there most morning at 9-10am... he seems to be very engaged with his clients... I have never once seen him using his cellphone while training someone ;-)

Thanks, maybe I'll swing by on a day pass and see if I could find a moment to chat him up. That's definitely the kind of work ethic I'd be looking for!

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Ruamchok Fitness Center

This just recently opened and all the equipment is brand new. They have everything you could possibly want to lift or pull or push. They have yoga sessions as well as other group classes, which are free if you sign up for a year membership. 

They have trainers but they don't come cheaply, however, they do seem to have knowledge of how to set up and maintain a work-out program. 

Good tip, though this place is definitely too far to consider. Like I said I'm on Chiangmai Land so that's quite a bit out of the way from here. I'll keep it on the list though if any other place falls through, thanks!

I go mainly to a few of the O2 gyms, CNX and Magnus lately.

Firstly mixing it up keeps it interesting, allows me to use different machines as none have all the others do and different locations and opening times are convenient to when and where I am when I want to workout.

The last point is huge! If it's not convenient it's much more likely one won't go as much!

Another point is parking, all the one's I've listed have ample parking for large vehicles. I rather not park in a mall or hotel as their gym can be far away. 

Finally the costs! If you do the math of a long term plan it can work out to as much as going 5x a week EVERY week!

The one's I've listed are 60-100 bht a day. The more expensive one's have a/c so when it's hot or smokey I find it worth the extra cost.

I lift weights usually 2x a week (I cycle 4x/week) so the daily fee is much more cost effective for my exercise program.

Check out the relatively small Rumchok gym for an example of an over priced gym for what you get (300 bht a day!!).

If you do sign-up for a term membership ask what the rules are for putting it on (vacation) hold. They will tell you it's allowed but then you might find out it's only allowed once a year and for no more then two weeks. Not great if you go home for a few months a year or travel more regularly. 

When I use to lift more regularly I had yearly memberships at Fitness Thailand and Harris and gone to many other on daily rate but listed my current preferences.

As for a trainer I have observed so many here that teach not only incorrectly but dangerously!

It's sadly amusing watching them teach a technique that was proven harmful in the 70's. 

And that's when they are not playing on their phone on your time!!

I'd be very wary of signing up with one here.

To learn how to use a basic machine I think youtube would be a better choice (sorry don't mean to be of of those "google is your friend" people but ..

Good luck and I'd be remiss not to say that cardio is an integral part of a work-out program and with the wonderful weather we have here, especially this time of year, one should really do it outside. 

Why not try a bike riding too!! :) 

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

I rather not park in a mall or hotel as their gym can be far away. 

So you have to walk too far before you get some exercise?  Kidding - it's the way of our species. 

11 hours ago, amexpat said:

So you have to walk too far before you get some exercise?  Kidding - it's the way of our species. 

No just don't like walking around inside a public space all sweaty from the gym.

Harris for instance you have to take an elevator from the hotel lobby for instance. 

16 hours ago, junglechef said:

Check out the relatively small Rumchok gym for an example of an over priced gym for what you get (300 bht a day!!).

It's sad indeed to see so many overpriced gyms in Chiang Mai. For 300 baht in Canada, I get a clean, spacious air- conditioned gym equipped with state-of-the-art equipment. All for 300 baht PER MONTH, not per day!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, searcher22 said:

It's sad indeed to see so many overpriced gyms in Chiang Mai. For 300 baht in Canada, I get a clean, spacious air- conditioned gym equipped with state-of-the-art equipment. All for 300 baht PER MONTH, not per day!

Well one doesn't have to look hard to find a bad deal here in most industries. 

But there are many fairly priced gyms too.

I think Mae Jo Gym is 50 bht/day and O2 is 60 bht. Magnus is 80 bht for a clean, well stocked and AIR CONDITIONED gym. 

• Like 1

Not in your area, but I'll put this in for informational purposes if people are looking for a gym- 'Like Fitness' near Big C Hang Dong is a great gym from an equipment perspective, and they're adding new, quality stuff all the time- it's definitely worth checking out if you live within striking distance.  

On 7/10/2017 at 6:29 AM, junglechef said:

I go mainly to a few of the O2 gyms, CNX and Magnus lately.

Firstly mixing it up keeps it interesting, allows me to use different machines as none have all the others do and different locations and opening times are convenient to when and where I am when I want to workout.

The last point is huge! If it's not convenient it's much more likely one won't go as much!

Another point is parking, all the one's I've listed have ample parking for large vehicles. I rather not park in a mall or hotel as their gym can be far away. 

Finally the costs! If you do the math of a long term plan it can work out to as much as going 5x a week EVERY week!

The one's I've listed are 60-100 bht a day. The more expensive one's have a/c so when it's hot or smokey I find it worth the extra cost.

I lift weights usually 2x a week (I cycle 4x/week) so the daily fee is much more cost effective for my exercise program.

If you do sign-up for a term membership ask what the rules are for putting it on (vacation) hold. They will tell you it's allowed but then you might find out it's only allowed once a year and for no more then two weeks. Not great if you go home for a few months a year or travel more regularly. 

When I use to lift more regularly I had yearly memberships at Fitness Thailand and Harris and gone to many other on daily rate but listed my current preferences.

As for a trainer I have observed so many here that teach not only incorrectly but dangerously!

It's sadly amusing watching them teach a technique that was proven harmful in the 70's. 

And that's when they are not playing on their phone on your time!!

I'd be very wary of signing up with one here.

To learn how to use a basic machine I think youtube would be a better choice (sorry don't mean to be of of those "google is your friend" people but ..

Good luck and I'd be remiss not to say that cardio is an integral part of a work-out program and with the wonderful weather we have here, especially this time of year, one should really do it outside. 

Why not try a bike riding too!! :) 

I want to thank all the new posters but yours in specific was very well written and in-depth. In my head, with all the young hipster people being 'digital nomads' here I had thought the fitness culture would mean there would have been an abundance of good, educated trainers though I am increasingly becoming convinced I was wrong. I suppose google and YouTube are my friend but that isn't so bad! I'd love to run outside but between the dogs, the heat and the random rain, just not a cool mix for me. Used to live in southern California and could run outside without a second thought but here, not so much, same goes for biking at least for now.

I'll try out the places you mentioned. Though I'll be here six months, I'll be doing visa runs and frequent holidays, so the plans probably won't work for me. Popping in and out of different gyms seems fun and refreshing.

Thanks again for your insightful reply, maybe I'll see you around!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You can check out these guys. Thailand Private Fitness http://ThailandPrivateFitness.com

They have expat and Thai trainers that are Certified by the National Academy of Sports Medicine a well known accredited organization from the USA. Considered to be the best.

There is also this group too that meets every 2 weeks. Could be helpful.

Edited by RetiredExpat99