Auto insurance - how does it work ?

Hello,

I have first class insurance with Viriya. Recently, I had a minor accident with a taxi and this resulted in a minor scrape across the door that requires some repainting.

The insurance agents of both parties ( the taxi and myself) agree that the taxi was at fault and the taxi insurance agent has agreed to pay to get our door repainted. Luckily for me, I had a dash cam so there was not much argument as to whose fault this was.

Apparently, the process is to go to the dealer and get the dealer to submit some paperwork indicating the cost and time required to do the painting. I am then supposed to take this document to the taxi insurance agent.

My question is this : Why isn't my Viriya agent handling this for me ? i.e. I get the document from the car dealer and then hand it to the Viriya agent who then handles it with the other parties agent. It's been my experience outside Thailand that your agent handles everything in the event a claim is made. Here it looks like my agent doesn't do anything and has me doing the running around. Is this how claims are handled in Thailand ? Would appreciate your own experiences and who the good insurance companies are. I was told Viriya was one of the best in Thailand which is why I went with them.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

46 minutes ago, DineshR said:

Viriya was one of the best

There OK don't know any insurance that's best that only comes with experience. :biggrin:

We were 1st class with Viriyah and they handled everything, l guest it's the agent you use.

I dont like Virijay :)

Depends on what you consider an 'agent'.

If you bought your policy through a broker, this broker is supposed to take care of this for you. If you purchased from Virijay, they will in general just refer you to the 3rd party, unless you want to claim on your own Virijay insurance.

Thanks Stevenl ... any particular reason you don't like Viriya ... who would you recommend ? I'm going to change my insurance in November. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have an old Toyota, no big worth. I should like to make an insurance to cover my responsibiliti, if I make a fault and make damage a car, or person. I no want cover the damage what is occuring in my car. 

Are somebody  to give me an advice?

Someone reversed into our new car just before the insurance was expiring, the insurance came through the dealership as part of the package, i.e. full insurance free for a year, or should I say 80% of the value of the car in the event of it being deemed a ride-off.

It was what I consider a minor repair, i.e. scratch on the right guard, lower section, I wasn't going to bother with it, but as the policy was expiring the Mrs wanted it repaired.

The insurer told us to take it to a certain panel beaters located in our area, which we did, the guy their got his girls to take photos and make notes, the car was booked in for a week later, repairs done, collected the car same day in the afternoon, and went with the new insurer when the policy lapsed a week later, as the wife says the new insurer was cheaper as the 1st ones annual renewal was much more then the previous year through the dealership paying for it, that and the new insurer will get a tow truck to tow you back for, I think the 1st 100 kilometres if you have broken down, then you pay per kilometre thereafter if over 100 kilometres.

Never saw a broker, although we paid for the new policy through the panel beater, so he must be an agent for them ?

On 7/7/2017 at 11:58 AM, Kwasaki said:

There OK don't know any insurance that's best that only comes with experience. :biggrin:

We were 1st class with Viriyah and they handled everything, l guest it's the agent you use.

Yes there is not best insurance anywhere in the world.

As soon as they can they will screw you.

But of course they at least have to do everything and the OP should not do anything himself. This is why we pay slaves.

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have a good broker in pattaya. pm if you want details. i know people who have had problems and she was very good sorting it out.

Your broker is AAinsurance just like anybody else. Why keeping in secret.

And yes, they are good and reply quickly to every email sent.

1 hour ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Yes there is not best insurance anywhere in the world.

As soon as they can they will screw you.

But of course they at least have to do everything and the OP should not do anything himself. This is why we pay slaves.

Indeed 1st class Insurance means just that,  my Cambodian slaves are a problem though maybe I should pay them.  :biggrin:

8 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

not sure what AA insurance is. broker i used is on pattaya klang. is no secrete, i will give the details to anyone who wants them. business called Plan B. 

9 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

They did not respond to my request for insurance 3 weeks ago so I went elsewhere.

11 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Well emails aren't going to help if your got a bunch of Thais accusing the Falang at the scene or you've just been dragged down to the station 

So the question is would they send a rep anywhere that's required - I live in Korat but can't seem to find their sales office ( i did know of a business that had them attached before )

4 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well emails aren't going to help if your got a bunch of Thais accusing the Falang at the scene or you've just been dragged down to the station 

So the question is would they send a rep anywhere that's required - I live in Korat but can't seem to find their sales office ( i did know of a business that had them attached before )

In the event of an accident you would call the insurance company, not email the broker.

5 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

They did not respond to my request for insurance 3 weeks ago so I went elsewhere.

Three vehicles and a total of around 15 years insurance through AA. No missed emails, no lapsed insurance, renewal quotes from up to 3 insurers.

Check your spam folder.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Three vehicles and a total of around 15 years insurance through AA. No missed emails, no lapsed insurance, renewal quotes from up to 3 insurers.

Check your spam folder.

Yeah spam folder was checked, weirdly I used them for the 2 previous years and they sent me a reminder for last year, this year no reminder and no reply to my email so did a quote request on their website and still got no response.

All good though I filled out anther quote request with another broker the next day and by that afternoon was re-insured.

On 7/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, stevenl said:

If you bought your policy through a broker, this broker is supposed to take care of this for you.

Regardless if your insurance was a direct purchase or via a broker, the primary contact is the insurer who will assign an agent.

The broker is who you call if the insurance company or their assigned agent start dragging their feet or as in the OP's case, don't do their job.

Keep in mind that outside major metropolitan areas where the agent may show up in an insurance company branded vehicle, most agents will turn up in their own vehicles (mine borrowed his girlfriends car after she came home from work, hence he was a bit late). Also be aware that these agents may work for more than one insurer, sort of on-call to several insurance providers in the area.

Just now, Techno Viking said:

Yeah spam folder was checked, weirdly I used them for the 2 previous years and they sent me a reminder for last year, this year no reminder and no reply to my email so did a quote request on their website and still got no response.

All good though I filled out anther quote request with another broker the next day and by that afternoon was re-insured.

Yup, sometimes things fall in a crack. Maybe a new girl in their office didn't check THEIR spam folder.

My first truck insurance renewal notice never appeared so I went to their office and renewed it anyway. The following year they sent a renewal notice with no price breaks so I shopped around and got a better deal.

The new truck I get renewal notices/quotes from both the existing insurer and the finance company but once again, went my own way and got the better deal.

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Hey Bevup, you a khorat guy?

9 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Your primary contact will be the direct emergency number for your insurer, not any insurance broker.

The insurer will dispatch a local agent. If you live in Korat and have a local prang, a local agent will attend. If it's somewhere else, a local agent will be assigned by the insurer.

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Yes Dark Lord for about maybe 4 yrs now was in village for 4 yrs until the BIL got hands on all

Pandinthong 4

As Midge Ure once said ( but with a different meaning) " it means nothing to me, it means nothing to me (oh Vienna)" in other words I am no better off with the knowledge you imparted to me . No problem though pls don't sweat it. 

i am currently the prisoner ofzonda based based in Rung Arun near Tesco lotus. Easily identified by several articles of clothing on the roof.........

12 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

As Midge Ure once said ( but with a different meaning) " it means nothing to me, it means nothing to me (oh Vienna)" in other words I am no better off with the knowledge you imparted to me . No problem though pls don't sweat it. 

i am currently the prisoner ofzonda based based in Rung Arun near Tesco lotus. Easily identified by several articles of clothing on the roof.........

Ah.... I see that "the crazy" still prevails?

I will be passing through Korat around 3 AM next Wednesday morning so as Jake Elwood suggested...

Incidentally, I'm headed for the airport.

On 7/8/2017 at 11:04 AM, DineshR said:

Thanks Stevenl ... any particular reason you don't like Viriya ... who would you recommend ? I'm going to change my insurance in November. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Bad experience where Virijay screwed up repair time and repair quality.

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Regardless if your insurance was a direct purchase or via a broker, the primary contact is the insurer who will assign an agent.

The broker is who you call if the insurance company or their assigned agent start dragging their feet or as in the OP's case, don't do their job.

Keep in mind that outside major metropolitan areas where the agent may show up in an insurance company branded vehicle, most agents will turn up in their own vehicles (mine borrowed his girlfriends car after she came home from work, hence he was a bit late). Also be aware that these agents may work for more than one insurer, sort of on-call to several insurance providers in the area.

Sorry, not correct.

The insurance company will send a claims adjuster, not an agent.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Sorry, not correct.

The insurance company will send a claims adjuster, not an agent.

Semantics.

The insurance company will indeed send a claims adjuster who, for all intents and purposes, since he or she is representing the insurance company, as far as the claimant and any attending police are concerned, is acting as the insurance company's agent.

Is the Thai word for claims adjuster multi syllabic and/or readily interchangeable with the Thai word for insurance agent?

Archived