Why can my facebook friends see comments I make on other friends profiles?

cyberfarang

13 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:
2 hours ago, MrSnow said:

You are confusing Facebook groups with private contact groups. 

No, I'm not.

Yes you are.

Perhaps because we've called them 'groups' and Facebook actually calls them 'Lists' 

Either way, we were talking about choosing selected friends and putting them in a group or list so that when posting you can choose exactly which group or list gets to see each post.

Nothing to do with 'Groups' that you are thinking of.    

Selection_642.png

Selection_643.png

23 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

I struggle to understand, how you dont understand. 

A post can be public, for friends, for groups of friends or private (you wouldnt see it) etc.. If you reply on a post thats public, everyone (the public) can see it.. If you reply on a post for thier friends only, his (not your) friends can see it.. If you reply on a post set to a small group or subset, that group or subset see it. 

Whats to understand here ?? simply look at the privacy of a post to know how the privacy of any comments made to it will be controlled. 

Exactly right. Go to your privacy settings. 

Its you not the software OP thats having the problem

15 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

No, I'm not.

14 hours ago, seancbk said:

Yes you are.

Perhaps because we've called them 'groups' and Facebook actually calls them 'Lists' 

Either way, we were talking about choosing selected friends and putting them in a group or list so that when posting you can choose exactly which group or list gets to see each post.

Nothing to do with 'Groups' that you are thinking of.    

Selection_642.png

Selection_643.png

Fair enough, I obviously misread something somewhere down the thread. -Ooops

3 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Fair enough, I obviously misread something somewhere down the thread. -Ooops

I was calling the custom lists of friends 'groups of friends'   So partly my fault for making it overly confusing.

19 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I have a Facebook account and it is probably ruining my relationship with everybody, because I don't use it at all anymore. I get hundreds of messages I don't look at which clog up my email, and I have hundreds of friend requests, some from very nice people whom I like a lot. But I don't accept any friend requests because it seems to increase the messages and friend requests by an order of magnitude. And why do I want the whole world to know what I said to Fred, or that I liked an article. It's none of their business.

I wish Facebook was on my side letting me create a custom experience, where likes and comments and messages were mine alone to know about. That would be awesome. Why do people want to have a timeline? You might as well build a glass house.

You can - and should! - unsubscribe from those email notifications. Just click on that at the bottom of the email.

The "custom experience" you have in mind would hinder FB being the money machine that it is, obviously.

I use FB to keep in touch with friends that live far away from me, I hardly ever post anything myself and it works for me. The first step is to really tighten your security settings as mentioned before.

I seem to have made the mistake of commenting on friends posts that are public and not contained for friends only. This means that on the public posts of friends all my friends will see them in my feed. So I guess that by only clicking like or commenting on friends posts that have set their facebooks or posts to friends only, my friends who are not their friends cannot see them.

But what has really irritated me, is that sometimes I make comments on certain political points of friends that are public, then I get a few of my friends who are not their friends coming in uninvited, commenting on my comments and lecturing me on my lack of principles and errors of my ways.  I feel like they are tagging me that they probably are. This is certainly not ideal, having to be very careful who we converse with on there, careful of what we say and having to restrict our comments as it seems there are no ways to completely hide our activities from certain people. Not that I have things to hide or doing anything illegally, just that I feel it`s none of their business.

What about people who may have gripes about their employers or maybe form relationships with people their spouses may not like. The FB is dangerous, better beware.