Gunmen kill eight family members, including three girls in Krabi

webfact

31 minutes ago, gbswales said:

arriving at 4 and waiting until 8 when he returned is explainable but if the objective had been to kill everyone why would the gunmen wait until later in the evening. before doing so. Clearly there must have been some discussion or negotiation between then which appears to have gone tragically wrong.  I cannot understand the mentality of anyone who is prepared to kill someone else, no matter what that person has done but to kill young innocent family members is beyond imagination.  The police should be looking for people who were known by the family and could therefore have been identified by them if they had just shot the headman and left.  A tragic situation and the sooner these people are behind bars for life the better.

The hitmen were most probably off duty police.  They often are as history shows.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

According to witness/s the armed men show up at 4 PM, wait until 8 PM then shoots ever everyone at 11PM  and not one person thinks they should call Police even at 4 PM? For 7 hours not one person though it was unusual to have armed men in fatigues and do nothing about it?   Sad testament to how society responds to suspicious activity when they see it.  I'd be suspicious of the witness.

Well, now, maybe they thought the armed men who came at 4pm were police or Army.  No shots until 11pm, why call more police?

If, as has been reported, a conflict of interest/business, the organisers of this atrocity should be easy to identify.

However, should any big names come to light, (not that the names will be in the media), they will be walk as always.

1 hour ago, bsdthai said:

Does anyone know of an honest village headman? Hate to say it but sometimes people get sick of the injustices taking place in villages around the country. These idiots only care about themselves. Mostly criminals building egos off tax payers money and other illegal activities. My family knows this pain. I don't want to condone or condemn without all verified facts but hope the government gets tough on corruption or i think we are going to see a steady pattern of the same. Certainly nothing new and it does happen all the time but just not basically whole families being taken out in this manner.

My village head man is a great bloke. A bit dodgy but a great bloke. Gets things sorted. Problems sorted. Quickly.

Known him for years. Huge for a Thai, bullet scars in his neck when he was a soldier working in the deep South. Certainly would not want to get on the wrong side of him.

Have his number in my phone on speed dial....

2 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

According to witness/s the armed men show up at 4 PM, wait until 8 PM then shoots ever everyone at 11PM  and not one person thinks they should call Police even at 4 PM? For 7 hours not one person though it was unusual to have armed men in fatigues and do nothing about it?   Sad testament to how society responds to suspicious activity when they see it.  I'd be suspicious of the witness.

Just maybe as is the case in village life, the people who "noticed" men in fatigues turning up at 4pm had no desire to stop whatever was going to happen because someone may not be very popular with a lot of other people. There is a code in the country that we westerners are not aware of. Some murderers get off very lightly because nobody liked the bastard he or she disposed of anyway. I've always thought village life in Thai was a bit like a combination of 13th century England and the wild west. 

Eight killed in Thailand in rare mass shooting - police

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Gunmen shot dead eight people, including at least one child, in a house in Thailand after holding them hostage, police said on Tuesday, a rare incident in a country where although guns are common, such mass shootings are rare.

The eight were killed in the southern province of Krabi, which is a popular beach destination, after the gunmen stormed the house late on Monday and held the inhabitants hostage before shooting them, police said.

Three people were wounded.

Police said they believed the motive was some kind of personal dispute.

"They were found this morning. Eight people died, three were injured. They were all found at the house," Manat In-prom, an officer at the Ao Luk police station in the province, told Reuters.

"We believe there were five or six criminals."

Thailand has a high rate of gun ownership and many people carry guns for their self-protection but such mass shootings are very rare.

According to the Interior Ministry, there are 6.1 million registered firearms in the country of 67 million people. But there are also many unregistered guns in circulation.

According to 2016 data from the University of Washington, Thailand had the highest reported rate of gun-related deaths out of 10 countries in Asia, about 50 percent higher than the Philippines, which came second on the list.

(Reporting by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-11

4 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

If they were any good hitmen then they would have torched the place to clear any possibility of evidence and it's a waste with handcuffs, cable ties are easier, faster and cheaper.

Anyway R.I.P. for the family and I hope any surviving members that were not present at the time stay safe!!!

It's comments like this that show just how deplorable many on this site are. Thanks for the advice! 

3 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

There are pros and cons to everything.

Thais are wonderfully easy going, and if you don't bother them they won't bother you. On the other hand, they are very easy going and unlikely to get involved with something that doesn't effect them.

Strange, when you consider in most villages something unusual occurs everybody comes to see what's going on! They love to stick their noses in. But, on this occasion, nobody seems interested, nor no visitors to see the headman? but the large family , not seen cooking, moving and still nobody shows interest, or phones the headman to tell him that people are at his house?

3 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

Law and order is some sort of joke here on this Los. What justifies killings innocent children? It's becoming a truly violent country day by day . 

Maybe we can ask the world policeman to come and invade.  Seems to be working well in all the other countries.

Here is one for the Army to get their teeth into.

The Police will know exactly what happened & why but will never tell as the protection monies have been paid.

Similar to that island fiasco, where the head family think they can do anything they wish 

To bring children into this reeks of organized gang warfare. Terrible

As I sit here in the UK on a break from Thailand, reading this and other stories, I think in many ways what a rat hole place Thailand is.. and worse, a lot of this 'killing mindset' is daily portrayed in their nightly Thai drama.. 

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, now, maybe they thought the armed men who came at 4pm were police or Army.  No shots until 11pm, why call more police?

No, they would have been afraid for their lives as the police would have informed the assailants exactly who had made the complaint. Nope, in that case, it's always better to not put yourself or your family in harm's way by getting involved. And don't expect the cops can protect you, you will be left on your own. 

5 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

possibly whomever saw them thought they WERE actual military-

who does one call in that case???

and since he was the headman, it would not be unusual for official and non-official

shenanigans to occur there, and the locals wouldn't think twice about it...

i'm very sad,  i'm pretty sure i knew him, we met 4 yrs ago this month when he was visiting some other powerful

friends of mine in Suphan Buri

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Here is one for the Army to get their teeth into.

The Police will know exactly what happened & why but will never tell as the protection monies have been paid.

Similar to that island fiasco, where the head family think they can do anything they wish 

To bring children into this reeks of organized gang warfare. Terrible

it is entirely possible that the perps were military, or at least connected thereof

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

My village head man is a great bloke. A bit dodgy but a great bloke. Gets things sorted. Problems sorted. Quickly.

Known him for years. Huge for a Thai, bullet scars in his neck when he was a soldier working in the deep South. Certainly would not want to get on the wrong side of him.

Have his number in my phone on speed dial....

glad you guys have a good one, ours was so "dodgy", the locals ran him out of office

even though his extended family  one of the biggest, longest-term landowners (his cousin is my landlord;

she's the greatest landlord i've EVER had) shortly after i first came, he nicked me for 12k baht

for a "sign" for my business

On 4/13/2016 at 5:03 PM, CharlieH said:

And how can you tell a "Korean" person just by looking at them ?

MOVED to Chiang Mai forum

5 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

Law and order is some sort of joke here on this Los. What justifies killings innocent children? It's becoming a truly violent country day by day . 

after killing 4 or 5 ..... well killing 10 or 11 is to be expected .... what next ?

Archived