When Do You Pay For Your Ticket?

libya 115

If I make a booking for a flight in Thailand, at a travel agency, when do I have to pay the full balance for the ticket, and can extra 'surcharges' be demanded?

For example. Suppose I book a flight: BKK-LGW nine months in advance; how much deposit is 'normal' and when should the final balance be 'expected' to be settled in full?

If payment is made early, does this make one 'immune' from extra charges like tax and fuel increases?

There must be some knowledgable people out there?

no, if you don't pay the full ammount they don't make a booking, the money you paid is just a deposit towards the booking (so you don't go somewhere else to buy a ticket). Some agents would return this deposit if asked - some don't.

the next time you go to this agency to pay the rest of the money they will check the airfare again - and if it's higher they will ask you to pay this difference.

once the ticket is sold the airline won't surcharge you even if you book well in advance and the cost of fuel rises - they already made a profit out of you

no, I am not knowledgable - just a common sense

no, if you don't pay the full ammount they don't make a booking, the money you paid is just a deposit towards the booking (so you don't go somewhere else to buy a ticket). Some agents would return this deposit if asked - some don't.

the next time you go to this agency to pay the rest of the money they will check the airfare again - and if it's higher they will ask you to pay this difference.

once the ticket is sold the airline won't surcharge you even if you book well in advance and the cost of fuel rises - they already made a profit out of you

no, I am not knowledgable - just a common sense

O.K. thanks for the feedback: but are your chosen dates of travel 'held' with the deposit, so that when you return to pay the balance the 'dates of travel' have not been taken?

no, if you don't pay the full ammount they don't make a booking, the money you paid is just a deposit towards the booking (so you don't go somewhere else to buy a ticket). Some agents would return this deposit if asked - some don't

I don't totally agree.

The big advantage of using a travel agent is precisely to be able to make a booking, without payment.

With websites (agencies or direct with airlines), you usually pay up front (even though twww.thaiairways.com for instance gives you a few days to issue the ticket).

My travel agent (in Europe) can book seats for me, at many dates, and then just call me usually 20 days before the date of the flight in order to issue the ticket (with the payment).

Edited by cclub75

You can make a booking without paying in a travel agent but the price is the price when you pay.

The airline hold the reservation on a booking but if they get a lot of booking requests they will call the agent and ask for payment or drop the booking so it isn't guaranteed - but in practice you do get some warning.

As an extra after paying I always give a short time and then phone the airline to check that the agent has paid them and the booking is now confirmed. Stops agents who hold onto your money for the interest and might go broke in the meantime.

If I make a booking for a flight in Thailand, at a travel agency, when do I have to pay the full balance for the ticket, and can extra 'surcharges' be demanded?

For example. Suppose I book a flight: BKK-LGW nine months in advance; how much deposit is 'normal' and when should the final balance be 'expected' to be settled in full?

If payment is made early, does this make one 'immune' from extra charges like tax and fuel increases?

There must be some knowledgable people out there?

If payment is "made in full" you get immunised from further charges, but by doing the deal early, you often pay a higher price anyway for the ticket as other factors such as the number of "bums" on seats in the days prior to the flight often result in lower ticket prices.

"Why Bother With an Agent"

I check the internet to get the Flight Schedule that suits me then go direct to the Airline Head Office and make the booking. There is no booking deposit and they give a printout of you booking and when final payment is required.

eg Flight Chiangmai to Perth 4 different agents price 37900 to 39900 with a required 2000 baht deposit. Thai Air head office 36900 Baht booked on 22/12/06 to depart 11/1/07 final payment 4/1/07.

Footnote: Our flight was obviously selling well so received a phone call 28/12/06 asking if we would pay before 4/1/07 to lock the seats in.

In Australia Thai International give between $150-$200 discount at their head office to Thai nationals or their spouses (marriage certificate required)

You can make a booking without paying in a travel agent but the price is the price when you pay.

The airline hold the reservation on a booking but if they get a lot of booking requests they will call the agent and ask for payment or drop the booking so it isn't guaranteed - but in practice you do get some warning.

As an extra after paying I always give a short time and then phone the airline to check that the agent has paid them and the booking is now confirmed. Stops agents who hold onto your money for the interest and might go broke in the meantime.

Do travel agents in Thailand have to have any guarantee of service, like ATOL in the U.K.?