The Hangout - The Game - Rock City

pgrahmm

On 9/21/2017 at 3:22 PM, tomster said:

So went there last night and had a meal. The owner said that it was their second day open.

The decor is really cool, like what they have done with the place. Bright and lively colours, very comfortable booths and seating.

Extensive menu, lot's of Thai options, very sensible strategy given the location. Large and small Leo's available and ice cold.

Prices all about right, nothing jumped out as expensive, nothing cheap either.

Couple of negatives:

1. The overall level of brightness in the place was madness, they had every ceiling light and the tables lights on - it was uncomfortably bright.

2. Spag Boll (180 Baht) was very sweet, Thai style. The dish in the picture is actually spag meatballs I think, after some minor confusion with portion sizes was taken care of. Mentioned the sweetness to the owner, said he hadn't tasted it yet. Kind of sets off alarm bells if the owners didn't do extensive testing on the menu when they were putting the place together.

But gotta say, once they get over the initial hurdles this place could do really well. Good location, nice decor, interesting menu.

IMG_20170920_200645.jpg

Sweet spaghetti is the lowest of the low.  Not a place I shall set foot in.

14 minutes ago, Loaded said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's compulsory to order the spaghetti.

Probably right but if they are dumb enough to serve sweet spaghetti they probably have a lot of other dumb stuff going on which I prefer to avoid.  Better to eat and drink at Big C food court Hang Dong road.

39 minutes ago, hangdonger said:

You can't use Big C foodcourt as a comparative, that's ludicrous.

I have tried the place a couple of time, i think the food is reasonable and the place has been nicely decorated.

It could do really well with a few tweaks and was super busy last Friday evening

I agree. Few restaurants can beat Big C.

11 hours ago, hangdonger said:

You can't use Big C foodcourt as a comparative, that's ludicrous.

I have tried the place a couple of time, i think the food is reasonable and the place has been nicely decorated.

It could do really well with a few tweaks and was super busy last Friday evening

BigC food court area often has evening/weekend entertainment, many options for different types of food at very low prices and plenty of eye candy of most persuasions if that is a factor, so why can't it be a comparison?

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

BigC food court area often has evening/weekend entertainment, many options for different types of food at very low prices and plenty of eye candy of most persuasions if that is a factor, so why can't it be a comparison?

Because the boy has no imagination and limited observation.

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

read again

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

read again

OK, I have read it ; firstly , I am not a boy, secondly I prefer to take my family out to different restaurants and eateries - nothing against BIG C food court, if we are there doing some shopping, it's just not a place where we as a family would go for an evening out.  

There is IMO a need for some options in the Hang Dong area, so hopefully these guys will do well, fair play for them giving a business ago, as opposed to the usual moaning keyboard warriors who know so much more.

45 minutes ago, hangdonger said:

OK, I have read it ; firstly , I am not a boy, secondly I prefer to take my family out to different restaurants and eateries - nothing against BIG C food court, if we are there doing some shopping, it's just not a place where we as a family would go for an evening out.  

There is IMO a need for some options in the Hang Dong area, so hopefully these guys will do well, fair play for them giving a business ago, as opposed to the usual moaning keyboard warriors who know so much more.

Do I detect more that just a passing interest in the establishment?

Anyway, as I said before, I wish only  the best of luck for the venture.

This was a friend's observation from another page....

He is usually accurate when critiquing a place....

Arizona Joe's - Kad Farang.

Wife and I had an early dinner there and got to sit down and chat with the owners. Really nice gentlemen who love what they do. They have a history of food in Thailand down in Pattaya, so even though they are the new kids on the block, they have some experience under their belt. Place is really fitted out nicely, kind of a Southwestern theme to it with an actual hot rod sitting out front. They spared no expense decorating the place. Menu is kind of an eclectic mix of things from all day brekkie to steaks, thai food and everything in between. I had the pork ribs and the wife had the spag bol. We were give a sample of some homemade corn chips and salsa, both were excellent. I would buy both as a take away, it was that good.  The wife really liked her spag bol and the sauce is homemade and fresh. The ribs had an excellent sauce on them (tangy not sweet) and all the fixings that came with it was on the mark. If I had a complaint, it would be that the cole slaw was a bit watery and sweet for my liking, but everyone has their own favorite way. The rib plate was 395b and the spag bol was under 200b. 

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

This was a friend's observation from another page....

He is usually accurate when critiquing a place....

Arizona Joe's - Kad Farang.

Wife and I had an early dinner there and got to sit down and chat with the owners. Really nice gentlemen who love what they do. They have a history of food in Thailand down in Pattaya, so even though they are the new kids on the block, they have some experience under their belt. Place is really fitted out nicely, kind of a Southwestern theme to it with an actual hot rod sitting out front. They spared no expense decorating the place. Menu is kind of an eclectic mix of things from all day brekkie to steaks, thai food and everything in between. I had the pork ribs and the wife had the spag bol. We were give a sample of some homemade corn chips and salsa, both were excellent. I would buy both as a take away, it was that good.  The wife really liked her spag bol and the sauce is homemade and fresh. The ribs had an excellent sauce on them (tangy not sweet) and all the fixings that came with it was on the mark. If I had a complaint, it would be that the cole slaw was a bit watery and sweet for my liking, but everyone has their own favorite way. The rib plate was 395b and the spag bol was under 200b. 

FB_IMG_1506434336863.jpg

12 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Confused of Hangdong.

Is Rock City now Arizona Joe's or are there 2 new places? 

Whoever they are they should get on to the Kad Farang website http://kadfarangvillage.com

I think Arizona Joe's is the true name.....When I started this topic  a few weeks ago there was only a sign out front on the wall that said Rock City....

Guessing they wanted a more stylish and identifiable name ....

Edited by pgrahmm

12 hours ago, MisterTee said:

It's American style... trendy and identifiable all over the world.

We're more than just bombs and fat people, don't ya know?

Aye right enough, I forget about Walmart and guns and <deleted> nutters as well. Perhaps a better name would be "The Blatant Racist," or just simply "The Donald,"... even simpler "Simply being Donald."

23 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Aye right enough, I forget about Walmart and guns and <deleted> nutters as well. Perhaps a better name would be "The Blatant Racist," or just simply "The Donald,"... even simpler "Simply being Donald."

So - you've deemed Arizona Joe's a political movement/statement/dunning of "America"/one size fits all?

Yes - in that case, simple would most readily apply.....Just not in the way you desire....

Let's get back on topic....