The greatest British Movie of all time

aright

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

What about the Long Good Friday exellent film

Number 44 on the list. 

One movie that (for my top50 at least) is missing would be: "In the Name of the Father" but it depends what is the basis for a British movie... in this case the director is Irish but most of the actors are British and the movie was filmed Britain. Does production and distribution companies come into the equation? Esentially where the film was financed?

59 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

Number 44 on the list. 

One movie that (for my top50 at least) is missing would be: "In the Name of the Father" but it depends what is the basis for a British movie... in this case the director is Irish but most of the actors are British and the movie was filmed Britain. Does production and distribution companies come into the equation? Esentially where the film was financed?

The list as published seems floored at least one film mentioned twice.

Absolute 1st choice without thinking Scrooge (1951) starring Alastair Sim, That might have been the USA release title. Pinetree and Elsree studios and many many UK professionals are behind so many US productions it is hard to separate then

A Clockwork Orange

Life of Brian

My personal tastes include sexy beast, "Bend it" and Lock Stock and two smoking barrels.

Imagine the Bridget Smith series is actually a American production masquerading as British?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Brave heart as a film was brilliantly made.

Loads of films beat that list.

A matter of opinion of course

Factual wise events approx 220 years before the arrival of Braveheart the film not the chappie, precludes its inclusion in this list of British films 

The official date of the 4th of July 1776 is a little clue

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

meatboy, Ben Hur was an American film, not British.

Take more soda with your drink next time mate.:cheesy:

OH FK and me dont like anything american not even their burgers.

so its got to be ZULU, i remember sat in jimmy macs soi 6,when ivan emanuel singing MEN OF HARLECH.

yes colin its only soda the past 11months.

Laurence of Arabia in at 11 AND 41.....?

The Wicker Man and Get Carter at 30 and 32 respectively.

All 3 above films would be in my top 10.

I love both the Guy Ritchie movies Snatch and Lock, Stock.

Layer Cake... Kes....

Always difficult to give one's top 10, top 5 etc...

But, Hot Fuzz in the top 30? Yes it's funny, but c'mon, Yahoo, you're having a laugh...

10 hours ago, starky said:

Wallace and gromit? Yeah right.

Brilliant movies. Especially if you have kids. My dad aged 79 does'nt get them.

Oh and i saw Sexy Beast mentioned, one of the scariest performances by an English actor. Ben Kingsley?

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Brilliant movies. Especially if you have kids. My dad aged 79 does'nt get them.

Oh and i saw Sexy Beast mentioned, one of the scariest performances by an English actor. Ben Kingsley?

That may be but in top 25 ever? Better than lock stock? Everyone has an opinion I suppose. Your dad probably would have voted for the carry on films which I don't think should have been there either. ;)

13 hours ago, starky said:

That may be but in top 25 ever? Better than lock stock? Everyone has an opinion I suppose. Your dad probably would have voted for the carry on films which I don't think should have been there either. ;)

Nah, he's a bit cultured and dislikes Carry On movies intensely. He's more Dave Allen and the Goons, Milligan, Python etc.

Made him watch Despicable Me with my lad (his grandson), we thought it was hilarious, he did'nt get it either.

However, the first movie i ever saw in the cinema, aged 9 ish, was Battle of Britain. My Dad took me. Brilliant movie, to this day.

He was in the RAF.....

On 7/12/2017 at 5:05 PM, Mansell said:

Great movie. It surprising how many people haven't seen this film.....especially Americans. Not sure it is available anymore. Odd the voice promoting it is American.

I'm a yank and I saw The Hill in Cochabamba, Bolivia in 1966...I know, it's hard not to generalise especially where those appalling yanks are concerned...Ossie Davis stole the show...

Women in Love, The Long Good Friday, The Devils of Loudon, Bronco Bullfrog...not much in the way of box office but excellent film making...

Dance with a Stranger, 1985 Mike Newell director...script by Shelagh Delaney who did A Taste of Honey in the 60s...also a great film...

a melodrama with horror and abuse but you can't take yer eyes offa the screen...a magnificent Miranda Richardson as the doomed Ruth Ellis who was hanged for her passion...fine performances by Ian Holm and Rupert Everett...

trembling with horror from the spectacle but also in admiration of the power that a 'small movie' can convey...minimalist in the extreme...

it should be enshrined...

tutsi is at the video rental place to return the film in El Cerrito, CA in 1986 and the girl there sez 'how about that one then Mr tutsi? a good film? (she was a film enthusiast and we had spoken before)...and I said: 'one of the best in recent years...'

and she sez: 'but it is so terribly depressing...' and I raised my voice: 'depressing??? have you not ever known anyone trapped in an abusive relationship??!!!'...and the girl took 2 steps back, alarmed...

she was only 19 or so, a pudgy redhead and I liked her and I immediately regretted my outburst...

see that film now...

21 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Dance with a Stranger, 1985 Mike Newell director...script by Shelagh Delaney who did A Taste of Honey in the 60s...also a great film...

a melodrama with horror and abuse but you can't take yer eyes offa the screen...a magnificent Miranda Richardson as the doomed Ruth Ellis who was hanged for her passion...fine performances by Ian Holm and Rupert Everett...

trembling with horror from the spectacle but also in admiration of the power that a 'small movie' can convey...minimalist in the extreme...

it should be enshrined...

tutsi is at the video rental place to return the film in El Cerrito, CA in 1986 and the girl there sez 'how about that one then Mr tutsi? a good film? (she was a film enthusiast and we had spoken before)...and I said: 'one of the best in recent years...'

and she sez: 'but it is so terribly depressing...' and I raised my voice: 'depressing??? have you not ever known anyone trapped in an abusive relationship??!!!'...and the girl took 2 steps back, alarmed...

she was only 19 or so, a pudgy redhead and I liked her and I immediately regretted my outburst...

see that film now...

Yes, I used to go in the pub in South Hampstead.

Chiller, like 10 Rillington Place.

Miranda was brilliant.

:thumbsup:

Tutsi, that's not Dustin Hoffman, you are talking about the movie like the Last King Of Scotland. Not what you want on a first date.

Try The Shop Around The Corner next time.

Archived