• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My candidates:

This Sporting Life.

A Kind of Loving.

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

Brief Encounter.

Yeah, you've guessed. I'm older than my avatar looks!.

Funny thing is, my missus (who admittedly is a tad younger than me and Thai) won't watch ANY movie, now matter how brilliant, that isn't in colour and HD).

On the list of 50 movies I didn't notice any sequels. I am so disgusted by the lack of creative talent in modern Hollywood films, everything is a f**king sequel or remake. I recently watched the latest remake of "The Mummy" I hate when all the action in a movie is in the trailors, i did find the double pupil effect to be original. But overall I was disappointed. 

It seems to be a "oh oh the cash is running out, better make another remake"

example, Fast & Furious, really? 8 versions of the same joke of a story? The same with "Mission Impossible" come on Hollywood, give writers a fair cut on the residuals for movies they created. 

It depends on whether we are talking about movies about Britain, British actors, British scriptwriters or British studios.

Battle of Britain the best epic. Love Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

There seems to be a lot more good British ( Welsh, Scottish, Irish included ) actors than American actors. Perhaps that's because they can speak more clearly.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

In no particular order, my favourites are:-

The Full Monty

Snatch

Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels

Trainspotting

4 Weddings and a Funeral

Life of Brian

28 Days Later

Great films that I am happy to watch many times :smile:.

Just realised that these are my favourite movies - full stop!  i.e. not just favourite British movies :shock1:.

Edit - I'm wrong, as I'd include Blood Diamond in my list of favourite movies - an American film.

8 hours ago, vogie said:

The Hill, lots of the old time actors. Looking forward to the new version of Whisky Galore.

Great movie. It surprising how many people haven't seen this film.....especially Americans. Not sure it is available anymore. Odd the voice promoting it is American.

4 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Great movie. It surprising how many people haven't seen this film.....especially Americans. Not sure it is available anymore. Odd the voice promoting it is American.

I watched it on kodi/specto 3 days ago, really enjoyed it.

I would have to put "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Simm as one of those all time "only the British could make this movie". SImm at the top of his powers. But you have to go back to the 1950's for this one. It usually plays every Christmas on TV in the States.

For fun comedies, Love Actually and Four Weddings and Funeral are brilliant film making at its best. Comedies are the most difficult medium to work in successfully.

As for Roger Moore for a best Brit actor is a bit of a joke. The man could barely act. A lovely smile and a grimace was his complete range. He was originally Ivanhoe on TV in Britain....perfect for his acting with a helmet on. Connery and Caine with The Silence of the Lambs guy are pretty much it. But we sure had some of the best character actors in the world in the sixties.....just look at the cast of "The Hill"

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

I would have to put "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Simm as one of those all time "only the British could make this movie". SImm at the top of his powers. But you have to go back to the 1950's for this one. It usually plays every Christmas on TV in the States.

For fun comedies, Love Actually and Four Weddings and Funeral are brilliant film making at its best. Comedies are the most difficult medium to work in successfully.

As for Roger Moore for a best Brit actor is a bit of a joke. The man could barely act. A lovely smile and a grimace was his complete range. He was originally Ivanhoe on TV in Britain....perfect for his acting with a helmet on. Connery and Caine with The Silence of the Lambs guy are pretty much it. But we sure had some of the best character actors in the world in the sixties.....just look at the cast of "The Hill"

I take your point about Alastair Sim, great actor, which reminded me about the original 1954 production of The Belles of St Trinians.

Where could you find a line up like this?

Alastair Sim

Joyce Grenfell

George Cole

Hermione Baddeley

Beryl Reid

Irene Handl

Joan Sims

Richard Wattis

Guy Middleton

Sid James

Shirley Eaton

Arthur Mullard

Barbara Windsor

etc etc  and lets not forget Windsor Cottage....the horse

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

Laurence Olivier, Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Daniel Day Lewis, Gary Oldman, just to name some other world renowned British actors I can think of who are, imo, far more talented actors than Michael Caine or Sean (I always have a Scottish accent no matter who I am portraying) Connery.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:41 PM, aright said:

Sorry Mods I think this may be in the wrong forum. Please move to where ever you see fit

I don't know where you got the list from, but Lawrence of Arabia is at number 11 and at 41. If they added both scores together it might have come in the top 3...

I agree Italian Job should be top, but there are many fine films in the full list. Also some missing like Oliver, Those Magnificent Men (in there flying machines) and Mona Lisa for a start.

Archived