Public transport from CM airport

peterdwje2

They are just too infrequent and don't maintain a schedule.  Walk to Far eastern U..straight shot to the NW corner of the moat.  Other options involve walking 350 m farther to AP Plaza.  If you aren't mobile try a red dropping  someone off, and pay 100....or a real taxi for 200.  We have been getting a regular amount of these threads...usually seems to be about the wonders of Uber...but I am not quite sold.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

If you can get on the Khwanwiang Transport bus, it'll take you to the corner of Nopparat Road at the corner by Kad Suan Kaew. They have a Facebook page and you can check out other public bus routes on slice-of-thai.com/cmbus/ or just Google Chiang Mai bus. They don't have a regular schedule so you may wait a long time.

Otherwise take a songthaew (across Central Festival) for 20-50 baht. If they nod you on, you're  all set. If not, try saying "Sau" baht, which means 20 baht. (This works for many common locations like Panthip.) Good luck!

From the airport you have a couple options:

1.  Airport Taxi or Meter Taxi 

These two are about the same in cost, 160 Baht for an air conditioned taxi; I think the "Airport Taxi" (booked from the booth in the area where you pick up your bags, or from Domestic Arrivals) is the better one.  

2. Just walk outside and flag down a passing Red Bus "Songthaew" share taxi that just dropped people off.  More information about Songthaews is here: https://www.theblondtravels.com/ride-songthaew-chiang-mai/   (They will charge 30 baht per person now when sharing with other people)   In Chinese:  紅色雙條車 : http://tinyurl.com/jbem7qa

3. Tuktuk (maximum 3 people, or 2 with luggage) same as above but the fare is for the whole vehicle, likely about 80-100 Baht depending on what you negotiate.

4. Airport Minivan (International side only)

This is 40 baht in theory but only if they fill up a van in full with people going in the same direction, otherwise they may ask for more. This is probably not worth it unless you arrive at International and a van is about to depart.

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Which means obviously the driver made absolutely not one satang...ridiculous

20% goes to grab rest is driver...40 baht for a 5min ride is exactly what it should cost.

Edited by nikotin

OP yes the bus is still running and despite what other people in this thread have said it goes very frequently

it's air conditioned and it only costs 15 baht.

It is white coloured and it's a small bus  (not a minivan )-see a picture of it in the link below

keep a lookout for it when it enters the airport from the main road and goes around the loop first stopping at the international terminal and then the domestic terminal

http://slice-of-thai.com/cmbus/ 

Edited by midas

6 minutes ago, midas said:

OP yes the bus is still running and despite what other people in this thread have said it goes very frequently

it's air conditioned and it only costs 15 baht.

It is white coloured and it's a small bus  (not a minivan )-see a picture of it in the link below

keep a lookout for it when it enters the airport from the main road and goes around the loop first stopping at the international terminal and then the domestic terminal

http://slice-of-thai.com/cmbus/ 

BS..there are two buses going by the airport of the white 15 THB variety....once per hour, minus an hour in the middle of the day.  Not on any schedule.  Zero shade at that stop, too.  Much easier to walk to FarEastern U or Airport Plaza....where transport is much less.

On 7/13/2017 at 8:10 PM, nikotin said:

20% goes to grab rest is driver...40 baht for a 5min ride is exactly what it should cost.

I failed maths at school, obviously you did to.Its more than 5 mins and after dropping off the passenger you are in  no mans  land waiting/hoping for another client,lets not include fuel etc Every songteaw plying their trade now has a 30 baht minimum sign.I guess you would say travelling in a songteaw equates to an air conditioned car.My last trip to pick up a friend at 8pm it took 10 mins just to get out of the airport compound  

18 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

BS..there are two buses going by the airport of the white 15 THB variety....once per hour, minus an hour in the middle of the day.  Not on any schedule.  Zero shade at that stop, too.  Much easier to walk to FarEastern U or Airport Plaza....where transport is much less.

you are the only one spouting BS here and you have never wanted this service to succeed because you obviously have a grudge against it when you wrote this last year

I've never had any problems catching it many many times  

TOP SECRET: routes/times for air-con 15 baht local bus service!

The basturd drove right by me the other day. I was standing right at a stop on Thaphae Rd. It's obviously rigged for failure. The only other time I rode it in the last two weeks, the bus stopped in front of Siriphat Hospital, and a mom got on with two kids. The little girl did a high velocity vomit (looked like strawberry flute shek) all over the place. The bus stopped and they had to do a clean-up. No mas! I did see those other new busses to the airport earlier, and they seemed to be somewhat more frequent.

Edited by midas

Let's see a schedule.  There is one stop close to me they don't use at all and the ones they actually use on Suthep have no schedule and neither do the two at the airport, one of which heads south on HD rd..  I walk right by the stop at CNX, if there is one in sight, I will see which way it is going..otherwise there are about five options to get home pretty cheap.

6 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I failed maths at school, obviously you did to.Its more than 5 mins and after dropping off the passenger you are in  no mans  land waiting/hoping for another client,lets not include fuel etc Every songteaw plying their trade now has a 30 baht minimum sign.I guess you would say travelling in a songteaw equates to an air conditioned car.My last trip to pick up a friend at 8pm it took 10 mins just to get out of the airport compound  

Why did i fail maths?

Its freakin 5 minutes....i ride this 3 times a week...i dont know if u aware that u do not have to go back to the airport plaza and then turn right to hang dong,but can go straight along the runway and come out at tesco,probaly 1 min away from my house...

I guess u fail at driving skills if u need 10 mim just to get out of the airport 555