Patong Mayor calls to ramp up safety after deadly Phuket tour bus crash

webfact

Patong Mayor calls to ramp up safety after deadly Phuket tour bus crash

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1499833542_1-org.jpg

Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup yesterday called for the road itself to be made less dangerous. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- The Mayor of Patong has called for the government to re-engineer the deadly road down the steep hill descending into the key resort town in the hopes of preventing further tour bus accidents claiming the lives of tourists and local residents.

The plea came at an emergency meeting of officials called by Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong yesterday in the aftermath of the tragic accident on Monday night that killed a 10-year-old Chinese tourist boy and his father. 

It also followed another tour bus crash just two weeks ago, when a bus killed a 40-year-old woman riding a motorcycle in the small street that all runaway tour bus drivers use to avoid slamming into the giant concrete wall installed at the bottom of the hill.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-mayor-calls-to-ramp-up-safety-after-deadly-phuket-tour-bus-crash-62981.php 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-12

Cable cars- that's the way ahead!

By that I mean a Thai cable car- strap a cable to each car as it goes over the hill. Problem solved ( until the brake on the  cable 'fails'). :partytime2:

Dear Madam Mayor, if you care to visit this Mountain in the morning between 7.30 and 9.30 you will see many Busses stuck on the road. If they can not make it up the Mountain they also don't have well maintained brakes.

It is all about servicing these vehicles and training the drivers. Without is this situation will never change.

Thanks and regards

Just now, jobwolf said:

Dear Madam Mayor, if you care to visit this Mountain in the morning between 7.30 and 9.30 you will see many Busses stuck on the road. If they can not make it up the Mountain they also don't have well maintained brakes.

It is all about servicing these vehicles and training the drivers. Without is this situation will never change.

Thanks and regards

And please bring a gas mask, it is hard to breath and also hard to see through the smoke these Busses and lorries leave behind.

Just another one trying to shut the stable door...............

The tunnel should have been built 20 years ago..... How much money have the rate payers made out of tourism?

Another case of lack of forward planning on infrastructure but profit through the roof

2 hours ago, jobwolf said:

Thanks and regards

Despite them being banned at those times! That 'enforcement' is working well isn't it. :shock1:

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Just another one trying to shut the stable door...............

The tunnel should have been built 20 years ago..... How much money have the rate payers made out of tourism?

Another case of lack of forward planning on infrastructure but profit through the roof

Hahahaha- the tunnel will NEVER be built. It's completely unnecessary and the money has been made from the B40m 'feasibility studies'. I could have done the study for  free-'Is is feasible?' 'No'. Case closed. It's a money pit that will never happen-  anyone who believes it will is smoking crack.

What would ease the volumes of traffic is to drive the roads over the hill from Chalong to Nanai and Kathu to Kamala as previously proposed- a huge amount of traffic at night on the coast roads is Fantasea related.  The routes already exist in rough form and can be done in 4wds. From the S end of Hasip Pee at Nanai drive a double laned road down to the 'middle road'. Needs about 500m of land to be appropriated.

12 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Despite them being banned at those times! That 'enforcement' is working well isn't it. :shock1:

Hahahaha- the tunnel will NEVER be built. It's completely unnecessary and the money has been made from the B40m 'feasibility studies'. I could have done the study for  free-'Is is feasible?' 'No'. Case closed. It's a money pit that will never happen-  anyone who believes it will is smoking crack.

What would ease the volumes of traffic is to drive the roads over the hill from Chalong to Nanai and Kathu to Kamala as previously proposed- a huge amount of traffic at night on the coast roads is Fantasea related.  The routes already exist in rough form and can be done in 4wds. From the S end of Hasip Pee at Nanai drive a double laned road down to the 'middle road'. Needs about 500m of land to be appropriated.

The Chalong to Nanai road has been on the books for years & I always wondered why it never got completed to the stage where it can be used by all vehicles. Not enough money in it I guess.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, Valentine said:

The Chalong to Nanai road has been on the books for years & I always wondered why it never got completed to the stage where it can be used by all vehicles. Not enough money in it I guess.

The Chalong to Nanai road would be the steepest ever. it is almost impossible to drive with a motorbike. Strong rains and landslides happen in the area and to make this road safe would cost too much. They can build a tunnel for this kind of money and it would be much safer.

On 12/07/2017 at 10:45 PM, janclaes47 said:

May be she could start with having a word with that high ranked phuket policeman who a few weeks ago stated that enforcing traffic rules was not a solution.

I missed that one.  Do you have a link?  I need a good morning laugh.