Regular returns to home country a plus for immo?

56 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I believe the was a rule a few years ago about maximum of 90 days in 180 days. I think they removed that limitation when they removed the triple entry visas.

As I wrote there has never been one for tourist visas. From 2006 to 2008 there was a rule for visa exempt entries that limited them to to a total stay of 90 days within 6 months.

I think it is becoming more and more obvious that Thai immigration have been instructed to look more carefully at those people who are using Tourist Visas / Visa Exemption entries to reside long term in Thailand, especially those under 50, who do raise the suspicion that they could be working here, the onus would then be on them to somehow prove that they are not and that they can support themselves independently of Thailand, a trip back to their own country of birth does lend credence to proving this.

If somebody is spending an extended period of time here based on tourist visas, extending these, then going to a neighbouring country and getting another, repeating this several times will seemingly now raise flags and they could be investigated on the suspicion of working, plus, quite possibly the IO will be thinking why does this chap not go home, what has he got to hide!

Perhaps they need to introduce a new class of visa for the wealthy long term tourist, ooops sorry, they have with the Elite Visa!!

Seriously, there are very few countries in the world where you can live utilising just tourist visas indefinitely, UK for example, the maximum a visitor is allowed to stay in the country is 6 months in any given year, if different is needed, then you need to have a different reason and class of visa.

Those who are on rotational jobs and using Thailand as a base and are not married or qualify for a retirement visa, should be OK so long as their stay outside of Thailand is 2 weeks plus and eventually they get a tourist visa, I'd even consider having a covering letter from my employer explaining the job and so on, just something to show the IO or supervisor as a backup if questioned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I think it is becoming more and more obvious that Thai immigration have been instructed to look more carefully at those people who are using Tourist Visas / Visa Exemption entries to reside long term in Thailand, especially those under 50, who do raise the suspicion that they could be working here, the onus would then be on them to somehow prove that they are not and that they can support themselves independently of Thailand, a trip back to their own country of birth does lend credence to proving this.

If somebody is spending an extended period of time here based on tourist visas, extending these, then going to a neighbouring country and getting another, repeating this several times will seemingly now raise flags and they could be investigated on the suspicion of working, plus, quite possibly the IO will be thinking why does this chap not go home, what has he got to hide!

Perhaps they need to introduce a new class of visa for the wealthy long term tourist, ooops sorry, they have with the Elite Visa!!

Seriously, there are very few countries in the world where you can live utilising just tourist visas indefinitely, UK for example, the maximum a visitor is allowed to stay in the country is 6 months in any given year, if different is needed, then you need to have a different reason and class of visa.

Those who are on rotational jobs and using Thailand as a base and are not married or qualify for a retirement visa, should be OK so long as their stay outside of Thailand is 2 weeks plus and eventually they get a tourist visa, I'd even consider having a covering letter from my employer explaining the job and so on, just something to show the IO or supervisor as a backup if questioned.

I think your first two paragraphs have summed it up very well. I agree age has quite a bit to do with it. Someone 65 and older is hardly a threat to Thai jobs. Now that TAT is trying to lure (love that word) medical tourists to Thailand then immigration need to a bit more flexible with the duration of stay if evidence can be provided of medical treatment. I think also appearance and attitude comes into play.

2 hours ago, blorg said:

My understanding is that rule only ever applied to visa-exempt entries, never to visas.

I think the issue was more that you applied in Singapore.

I agree, but that was the rule she decided to say to me (even tho I knew full well it was not applicable).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote there has never been one for tourist visas. From 2006 to 2008 there was a rule for visa exempt entries that limited them to to a total stay of 90 days within 6 months.

Then she was fabricating a rule that was only 50% obsolete (90 within 180) but even when in existence would not be applicable (since I was on SETVs).  On either case, despite showing a 3 month continuous stay in the EU an excuse was used to disallow an SETV.

So I'm not entirely sure they care :)

53 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I'm super cool for them looking closely, and trying to discourage people from using the wrong visa to stay here long time (or effectively live here).  To me, that is not the problem.  To me, the problem is that their rules are not published well.

If they would publish that you could only have 2 SETVs per year, or you could only be here 90 out of 180, or you are capped to 180 days per calendar year, etc. etc.  And if these rules were consistent in all consulates, then I would have no problems.  But they do not publish the rules that they use (which differs from the ones on the websites), and they do not enforce it uniformly (Penang/Vietnanne vs Singapore for example).

In either case, back to the OP: I don't think they care you went back home, but they probably will be happy if you spent at least the last 6 months continuously back home.  Or if you just never come :)

28 minutes ago, JayBird said:

To me, the problem is that their rules are not published well.

Yes, this I would tend to agree with, the information available in the public domain is poor at best and what is on various sites is outdated, it also comes down to the IO at the time and their understanding of the rules and even they are unlikely to know them properly, then the enforcement seems to be very random.

It really is not difficult to publish the rules and make the info available, plus enforce them uniformly.

A little off topic, however relevant in a way, I came back from Singapore in to BKK airport late on Wednesday night and did notice that there are some electronic billboards that display the financial requirements for entry, a bit daft really, as by this time it is too late!

Never seen immigration so busy with so few desks open, the queues were down the ramp in to arrivals area, equating to thousands of people and the left hand queue (so the longest) only had 3 desks open, it took me 1.5hrs to get through immigration and I was one of the luckier ones in that the queue was relatively short when I joined it.

I timed how long it took the IO to process my entry and it was about 5 minutes, I was entering on a multiple re-entry permit, extension of stay based on working, with a long history of the same, but he certainly seemed to scrutinise my passport more than a usual entry.

Edited by Mattd

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Thailand then immigration need to a bit more flexible with the duration of stay if evidence can be provided of medical treatment

They already are !   Extensions of stay based on receiving medical care / treatment are available if supported by a hospital based doctor. 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, Happy enough said:

I was speaking to a fella recently who thought that if someone had returned back to his/her home country then it would suggest that person probably wasn't 'wanted' for anything back home to serious also. I thought he was talking <deleted> but that was his take on it

How do they know?  The U.S. stamps its citizens neither in nor out.  A Thai Immigration Officer can see when you entered and departed Thailand, but at least if an American, he can't actually tell that you were in your "home country".   Or do the computer records they have on the screen in front of them include actual flight data ICW your arrivals and departures?

Just now, hawker9000 said:

How do they know?  The U.S. stamps its citizens neither in nor out.  A Thai Immigration Officer can see when you entered and departed Thailand, but at least if an American, he can't actually tell that you were in your "home country".   Or do the computer records they have on the screen in front of them include actual flight data ICW your arrivals and departures?

Try looking up Advance Passenger Information System................................. If you believe you can hide from Big Brother best you awake to reality. 

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Or do the computer records they have on the screen in front of them include actual flight data ICW your arrivals and departures?

Their system certainly does record inbound and outbound flight information. I think their screen shows origin/destination city. However, they might not be able to tell that you visited your home country in all cases, especially if part of the trip was by land.

21 hours ago, Mattd said:

It shows you have the money for trans-continental flights - but that, alone, has failed for several folks.  You also need "cash in hand" (not on plastic) and, if entering exempt, a flight out within 30-days.  Then, you can still be rejected, maybe because you had a history of staying here longer-term in the past - or for making the mistake of saying you intend to get another visa after your current entry.

I think it is more about a history of staying in Thailand for extended-stays - and the "went home" factor has far less weight.

Other countries have different economic and other reasons for their policies.  I can understand the "reciprocity principle" - and Thais saying, "Look what they do to us - we will show them!" - but I think this emotional reaction is ultimately self-defeating.  Sometimes fighting fire with fire is not a sound strategy.  Thais are welcome to enter most countries where wages are close to or below their own without the hassles.  The policies are "not personal" - just economics.

As to those on rotational jobs - many posted here of giving up spending their down-time in Thailand, after having been told, "This is the Last Time - Get a proper visa," - when they cannot get a visa out in the ocean, and don't want to spend the first days of their time off, each visit, in some neighboring country obtaining one.  Were they supposed to start each off-time break with 3 days in Penang - then get a new passport every 2nd or 3rd trip, when Penang puts the "This person travels to Thailand frequently on Tourist Visas" extra-stamp in there?  It's one hassle after the other - so they announced their goodbyes here and left.  Many more with non-rotational offshore incomes have followed.

In trade for the now-gone and dwindling visitors in those categories, we have 90-min queues, streets jammed with tourist-buses, and crowds that walk around following a flag, while buying little - zero-dollar tour-package customers.  No local I have met is happy with this swap.  And how many of them does it take to offset the losses of one "Ok then, goodbye" O/G worker or under-50 offshore-businessman who kept a condo here year-round?

The worst part, is that it didn't need to be a trade of one for the other.  These 2 groups don't eat at the same restaurants (if 7-11 can be called a 'restaurant'), or live in the same types of dwellings.  Most of the long-termers could have used fast-track at the airport to avoid the hordes.  Thailand could have kept both happy, but has chosen to tell one group to leave - and chose to boot-out the group which does not create infrastructure problems.

Yes, there is the Elite - but this generally caters to people with ~50M+ THB in liquid-assets.  There is a lot more global-income available from people who do not come close that threshold.  To those folks, asking that much simply for "permission to be here and spend money," is a slap in the face - given so many of Thailand's neighbors are much more accommodating and reasonable.

I am reminded of a scene where someone runs around their kitchen, trying to kill a fly with a baseball-bat, smashing everything in the process.  Then they empty boxes of Gekos on every counter and into every cupboard, and say, "Ah, this is better - no more pesky fly, now"  All to stop some "backpacker types," "scuba instructors," and "English-teachers" - Really?

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

If you have a non-o visa you can stay as long as you want and never have to leave Thailand unless you want to as long as you keep extending your visa on time once a year.  I've been here for years and immigration has been very easy because I'm organized with my paperwork.  I know others who have been here for 20 plus years on non-o visas and have never left Thailand in 20 years.  There's no issue with not returning to your home country if you're on a non-o visa but I don't know about tourist visas though.  

On July 14, 2017 at 0:10 PM, YetAnother said:

does this insinuate that immigration has a bias against us long-stayers ?

I'm honestly not sure what they're talking about but if you're on a non-o visa you're good to stay here for life if you want as long as you extend your visa on time every year.  I've been here for 3 years and have never had any problems with immigration and I know other people that have lived here on non-o visas for over 20 plus years.  There's no bias against us not that I've seen anyway.  Immigration has been good to me.  I've learned not to listen to everything thing I read on here or read to much into what people say.  As long as you follow immigration's rules you shouldn't have any problems on a non-o anyway.  I don't know about all of these other visas though.  If you're a long stayer than I assume that you must be on a non-o.  

17 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

I'm honestly not sure what they're talking about but if you're on a non-o visa you're good to stay here for life if you want as long as you extend your visa on time every year.  I've been here for 3 years and have never had any problems with immigration and I know other people that have lived here on non-o visas for over 20 plus years.  There's no bias against us not that I've seen anyway.  Immigration has been good to me.  I've learned not to listen to everything thing I read on here or read to much into what people say.  As long as you follow immigration's rules you shouldn't have any problems on a non-o anyway.  I don't know about all of these other visas though.  If you're a long stayer than I assume that you must be on a non-o.  

follow jackthompson's thinking and posts; am starting to agree with him

18 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

Those who can get Non-Os and extensions based on Non-O criteria have no-worries at present.  At most, they need 20K baht when entering, if using a "Visa" - and that is not needed if on an "extension of stay" issued by Immigration.

Those unmarried to a Thai, under-50, and retired cannot get a Non-Imm type visa, except for ED.  The ED, Tourist, and visa-exempt type visas are where you may run into problems entering if you have a history of longer stays.  It would seem there is an alert showing up for anyone who has ever stayed here long-term - even if they have been gone awhile.  If on ED, TR, or Exempt, that history may lead to problems entering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

follow jackthompson's thinking and posts; am starting to agree with him

You mean Jim Thompson?  I heard he disappeared here back in the 60's lol.  I've been to the Jim Thompson Farm before.  

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It would seem there is an alert showing up for anyone who has ever stayed here long-term - even if they have been gone awhile.  If on ED, TR, or Exempt, that history may lead to problems entering.

The computer alert is at 6 for visa exempt that's it.

The TR's and ED's are visually checked, like all other visas or extensions.

Edited by lkv

"Thai Immigration has a system in place that counts the number of entries on a passport under a visa-exempt stamp. While this system does not detect back-to-back entries, it’s designed in a way that counts the number of all the visa-exempt stamps you’ve had.

This means even legitimate tourists from Singapore who come to Thailand once a month over the course of a year will alert Thai Immigration officers around their 6th entry, even if the entry is just for one day. This does not mean, however, that you will be banned on your 6th entry. Somewhere between your 6th and 10th entry is when an immigration officer is likely to question your entry. In such a scenario, showing proof of onward travel and/or proof of financial means might help. An officer will assess the entry based on the passport-holder’s record. And from there he will decide whether you’ll be granted or denied entry."

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/legal/thailand-visa/

PS: I totally recommend the above article, for whoever is interested, it's the most informative, comprehensive and accurate article I have ever seen on Thai Immigration. Good read and good links in it.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lkv said:

Well I'm on a non-o marriage visa so I don't have to worry about that.  I'm on my 3rd extension now.  By the way I don't really have PR I was just kidding but I might as well be on PR status because once you are on a non-o extension as I am life's a lot easier because you no longer have to leave the country anymore unless you want to.  

Actually if you do leave the country on a non-o visa extension you have to get a reentry permit so that when you come back to Thailand your original extension is still valid.  If you don't get a reentry permit you have to get a whole new visa and start all over again.  

When I went to the Metallica concert in Singapore last year I had to get reentry permit when we came back to Thailand, and we were only in Singapore for 2 days.  

16 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

Well I'm on a non-o marriage visa so I don't have to worry about that.  I'm on my 3rd extension now.  By the way I don't really have PR I was just kidding but I might as well be on PR status because once you are on a non-o extension as I am life's a lot easier because you no longer have to leave the country anymore unless you want to.  

Actually if you do leave the country on a non-o visa extension you have to get a reentry permit so that when you come back to Thailand your original extension is still valid.  If you don't get a reentry permit you have to get a whole new visa and start all over again.  

When I went to the Metallica concert in Singapore last year I had to get reentry permit when we came back to Thailand, and we were only in Singapore for 2 days.  

Just to clarify, when I say "The TR's and ED's are visually checked, like all other visas or extensions", I don't want some to misunderstand what I am saying.

I mean the IO browses through the passport. If an IO may see ED visas followed by TR visas for instance, the IO may start to ask questions. Or may not. 

People doing multiple exits or entries on any other type of visas or extensions (nonB, non O etc), associated with re-entry permits, do not trigger any computer warnings and should not attract further scrutiny.

Edited by lkv

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, BritTim said:

Their system certainly does record inbound and outbound flight information. I think their screen shows origin/destination city. However, they might not be able to tell that you visited your home country in all cases, especially if part of the trip was by land.

So if your flight itinerary to/from home country includes a stopover in  Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul ... , as nearly all from the states do, then they don't even know you've been "home".

2 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

So if your flight itinerary to/from home country includes a stopover in  Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul ... , as nearly all from the states do, then they don't even know you've been "home".

In that case, it would depend. I am unsure if the system attempts to capture eventual destination city (easy if traveling on a single ticket) if using the "stopover" just for a quick transit. I guess you would be correct if someone is taking the opportunity of, say, 3 days in Hong Komg, Seoul or Tokyo.

4 hours ago, lkv said:
9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It would seem there is an alert showing up for anyone who has ever stayed here long-term - even if they have been gone awhile.  If on ED, TR, or Exempt, that history may lead to problems entering.

While unsure about this, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that @JackThompson is correct, and there is now also an alert for increased scrutiny when someone has been in Thailand over 180 days within a year. There are too many recent reports of immigration pointing this out to travelers, I think, for this to be the official doing quick calculations of his own. Senior officials are obviously aware that there is no rule against spending over 180 days a year on tourist entries, but I do think it is being flagged, and used as part of decision making.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

during your visit to your home country, you obtain an SETV issued at the local thai consulate/embassy.  then when the IO is processing your entry, he/she will see that the visa was issued in your home counry rather than in a nearby country.

i'm from USA and had success staying long term in thailand by going to USA, coming back with an SETV, (+ext) then leaving for two weeks to a nearby country, returning with a visa exempt entry+extension.  then repeat, go back home (stay at least a month), get the SETV, etc...  i also made other side trips during the vailidity of the stay under the SETV via re-entry permits (this was done to avoid piling up visa exempt entries).  and during the last 18 months or so of my doing this, i also carried 20,000thb and bought 'throw away' tickets showing onward travel from thailand.  i recently turned 50 so i'm on the extension of stay retirement now.

edit - and each time you come back to thailand, the IO pages through your passport and sees SETVs issued from your country which means you've been back home on a regular basis.  so they really see multiple trips, not just one (other than the first one of course).

Edited by buick

10 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

To erase all doubt, get a Tourist Visa while at home.  I'm not sure it would help, much, if you have been in Thailand, say 200+ days in the past year - but would show the IO you "went home" (if they care). 

I'd prefer flying to Vientiane or Penang on the way back from a much closer Thai-Consulate, than going on a long-journey to my passport-country - but if going to your passport-country anyway, might as well get a Tourist Visa while there.

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

To erase all doubt, get a Tourist Visa while at home.  I'm not sure it would help, much, if you have been in Thailand, say 200+ days in the past year - but would show the IO you "went home" (if they care). 

I'd prefer flying to Vientiane or Penang on the way back from a much closer Thai-Consulate, than going on a long-journey to my passport-country - but if going to your passport-country anyway, might as well get a Tourist Visa while there.

Agreed.  Esp. if the TV(s) obtained in home country is/are dated several months after the corresponding last departure.  I guess they could put that much together.

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

if you have been in Thailand, say 200+ days in the past year

it seems like someone with this profile is going to get taken aside for an interview at some point (assuming they are using tourist visas).  i don't know if it is year 1, 2, or 3 of playing the 'game'.  i know you and i both had to deal with the under 50 issue and use tourist visas, etc..  to allow more long term stays. 

i was interviewed around year 4 (6 years ago), pulled aside due to too many visa exempt entries.  i had never used a tourist visa, back in those days, most of my friends were on overstay and paid 20,000thb when they left.  it was their typical routine.  but i was never pulled aside again, and i wondered at times if the supervisor put something in my record that helped me. 

i don't know if this is too personal a question but have you been through an interview ?  and maybe another question to the larger audience, has anyone been interviewed twice ?

and then another question would be does your travel history help you during the interview ?  will multiple SETVs from your home country give you an edge over multiple SETVs from neighboring countries ?  it is really a two level test of sorts, first you have to pass the intial IO and then, if that fails, you have to pass the supervisor.

1 hour ago, buick said:

it seems like someone with this profile is going to get taken aside for an interview at some point (assuming they are using tourist visas).  i don't know if it is year 1, 2, or 3 of playing the 'game'.  i know you and i both had to deal with the under 50 issue and use tourist visas, etc..  to allow more long term stays. 

i was interviewed around year 4 (6 years ago), pulled aside due to too many visa exempt entries.  i had never used a tourist visa, back in those days, most of my friends were on overstay and paid 20,000thb when they left.  it was their typical routine.  but i was never pulled aside again, and i wondered at times if the supervisor put something in my record that helped me. 

i don't know if this is too personal a question but have you been through an interview ?  and maybe another question to the larger audience, has anyone been interviewed twice ?

and then another question would be does your travel history help you during the interview ?  will multiple SETVs from your home country give you an edge over multiple SETVs from neighboring countries ?  it is really a two level test of sorts, first you have to pass the intial IO and then, if that fails, you have to pass the supervisor.

I was interviewed on exit from Poipet - fairly extensive but polite.  I had a long "rap sheet" of entries and exits at the time.  "Why did I make (this or that) trip?"  Because my TR Visa was running out, and I needed to get a new one, to avoid overstay - so I took a short vacation to (where ever).  "You got a new passport?"  Yes.  I told the gentleman that I was using Tourist Visas until I turned 50 - the truth.   I didn't see the point in trying to BS the guy.  He knew what I was doing, and I knew I was obeying the law - and going to considerable trouble not to break it.

I was never questioned again, after that - but never tried Poipet again, or Airports, which could be the reason.

19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I didn't see the point in trying to BS the guy.  He knew what I was doing, and I knew I was obeying the law - and going to considerable trouble not to break it.

right, that is how i went about my discussion with them.  i knew i'd followed the general rules and had left every 30 days, and i only made one same day in/out visa run.  i remember talking about retiring from my job and explaining that.  but the topic of home country visits never came up.  glad to hear you passed your interview !!