Trump says wall may not need to cover entire U.S.-Mexico border

webfact

1 minute ago, ddavidovsky said:

Seems you still don't get it. He talks big for rhetorical effect. It worked.

I don't dispute the fact that he's an idiot. But he wasn't elected for his IQ - brainiacs are ten-a-penny - but for his position on certain issues.

For all those scoffing about the wall issue, here's some assistance:

- try not to think of it literally as a 'wall'. That may be the problem that most people are having. It's a fence.

- acknowledge that the border has long been fenced in the most permeable places.

- acknowledge (this takes some psychology) that even just talking about a wall is calculated to send a stern message to wannabe illegal immigrants.

Now please explain your solution for preventing hordes swarming freely across the border? If you don't have one, don't bother replying.

You acknowledge that the most permeable places were already fenced.  Now defend your claim that hordes are freely swarming across the border.  The number of illegal immigrants in the US has declined since the beginning of Obama's presidency.  http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/27/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/   

You are correct on one point, talking BS has a fine rhetorical effect, especially if your audience is unconcerned with facts.

Regardless of the size of the bags of drugs being tossed over trumps wall, I would want to be aware of who was on the receiving end, if I was doing the tossing... ergo no danger to border patrol officers

mind you... on the other hand... bullets will go thru a wire fence, which may be a greater danger to border patrol officers, than being hit by a bag of drugs, as they drive past in their patrol vehicles 

the old saying about engaging the brain before putting mouth into gear, comes to mind

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You acknowledge that the most permeable places were already fenced.  Now defend your claim that hordes are freely swarming across the border.  The number of illegal immigrants in the US has declined since the beginning of Obama's presidency.  http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/27/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/   

You are correct on one point, talking BS has a fine rhetorical effect, especially if your audience is unconcerned with facts.

So, having no solution to border permeability, you're reduced to denying absolutely that illegal immigration and smuggling across the Mexican border is any kind of a problem. Outstanding.

The article you cited shows a chart that displays clearly that this is a severe long-term problem.

The mental gymnastics in trying to disagree on this must be painful. It would actually be easier to agree with Trump on this one.

16 minutes ago, iReason said:

Perhaps you don't get it.

He talks big on everything.

And achieves nothing.

"hordes swarming" ?

Hyperbolic nonsense.

:coffee1:

Hyperbolic truism? I know people who live in Texas and they've told me what it's like, and the way the world is going it's a fair prediction that migration pressures will only increase.

What Trump is achieving is a readjustment of values. And it's all part of the oscillating two-party political system Americans should be relieved to have. Next time it will be the left's turn, and so on. In this way, by left-right shifts that adjust from one administration to the next, the country eventually hits on compromises - because you can't please all the people all the time.

I get that you hate Trump. You've invested your identity in hating him. Uh-huh. I have no position left or right. I watch the show objectively.

So, having no solution to border permeability, you're reduced to denying absolutely that illegal immigration and smuggling across the Mexican border is any kind of a problem. Outstanding.

The article you cited shows a chart that displays clearly that this is a severe long-term problem.
The mental gymnastics in trying to disagree on this must be painful. It would actually be easier to agree with Trump on this one.

So Trump is taking border permeability seriously? "You may need 700 to 900 miles". Well 700 miles of fence already exists so I suppose he could claim "Job done". All he is doing is continuing the policy of the previous two administrations. For some reason this policy was disastrous under the previous administrations but tremendous under this one.

12 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

I get that you hate Trump. You've invested your identity in hating him.

Primarilly, insulting.

And more marginalizing hyperbolic gibberish.

I hate nothing. I never use the word.

I detest people who do. In any way or form.

Please don't project your personality upon me.

depise the occupier of the White House.

And people like you, who flippantly attempt to label others with such words.

22 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Problem?  Would you like links showing that illegal immigrants in the US are less likely to commit crimes (other than their illegal status) than legal residents?

I never denied smuggling was a problem.  Smuggling in both directions, drugs into the US, guns into Mexico, is a huge problem.  However reducing demand for drugs on this side of the border, through decriminalization, would do far more to reduce smuggling in both directions than new walls.  It would also make Mexico a much safer place.

Similarly, an intelligent, well-run guest worker program in the US would do far more to reduce illegal immigration than walls.  However politicians aren't promoting intelligent options such as this because it would result in more foreigners in the US legally.  The fools inspired by Trump's "build that wall" rhetoric weren't concerned unfilled jobs in agriculture and other areas, they are freaked out by the browning of the US, and that there are some places that are (God help us!) becoming bilingual.

All this wall nonsense was, and still is, an appeal to paranoid white supremacists. 

Now show us your mental gymnastics that show how illegal immigration will be prevented while there is an abundance of un-filled, relatively well paying jobs in the US. Walls and wall rhetoric won't stop illegal immigration, more intelligent government will.

26 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Hyperbolic truism? I know people who live in Texas and they've told me what it's like, and the way the world is going it's a fair prediction that migration pressures will only increase.

What Trump is achieving is a readjustment of values. And it's all part of the oscillating two-party political system Americans should be relieved to have. Next time it will be the left's turn, and so on. In this way, by left-right shifts that adjust from one administration to the next, the country eventually hits on compromises - because you can't please all the people all the time.

I get that you hate Trump. You've invested your identity in hating him. Uh-huh. I have no position left or right. I watch the show objectively.

I'm curious, your Texas friends that tell you "what it's like", what do they tell you that it's like? 

I'd like to compare it to what my family in Texas tells me.  I can also compare it to what my friends in New Mexico, Arizona, and California say.  So far none of them seem particularly freaked out about illegal immigration.

8 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I can also compare it to what my friends in New Mexico, Arizona, and California say. 

So far none of them seem particularly freaked out about illegal immigration.

Mine also.

In all those same states.

Including Texas.

We ( US) have been talking about border walls since 2001. It was a campaign promise, if anyone thinks something resembling the Great Wall of China is to be built, sorry.  It is unfeasible and actually would be an ecological disaster as there are many animals including bears, endangered jaguars, etc. whose natural habitat would be bisected.

Better to just pull from far flung deployments and put elements of the US military on the border, already funded and equipped anyway.  Give 90 day notice that the frontier is closed to foot traffic and everyone must come through checkpoints and airports. Everything on two feet will be engaged with deadly force first , questions asked later. Problem solved.

Edited by Dipterocarp

43 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Citing the testimony of alleged acquaintances as valid evidence for what's going on in the state of Texas - the biggest and second most populous state in the USA - only proves that you don't have a clue as to what objectivity really is. Your evidence wouldn't even be valid for Rhode Island or Delaware. Unless of course your acquaintances are a randomly chosen sample in accordance with statistically valid polling methods. 

13 hours ago, webfact said:

when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them. They hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over,"

This explanation sounds like someone in Border Patrol felt the need to explain in terms a five-year old could understand why a concrete 30 foot wall isn't practical. Maybe Barron helped father Trump too. Does he get a top secret clearance too?

9 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

- acknowledge (this takes some psychology) that even just talking about a wall is calculated to send a stern message to wannabe illegal immigrants.

No, it doesn't take "some psychology" to acknowledge that even just talking about a wall is calculated to send a stern message to wannabe illegal immigrants.

It takes something else entirely but forum rules do not allow me to use the words to describe it.

Do you really think that illegal immigrants willing to risk everything crossing the border will change their minds because some clown talks about building a wall?

"Hey Maria, I'm thinking about heading to the US. I'm broke and can't get a job so don't know what else to do.

But Pablo, please reconsider. Don't you know that they're talking about building a wall...or fence...or something, right across the US....or parts of it....maybe, sometime in the future?

Oh sh!t, I didn't know. Better stay at home then!"

I mean, seriously??

On 7/14/2017 at 5:40 AM, webfact said:

"As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them. They hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over," Trump said.

Climate change: Hoax

300 million guns in the country and growing: not a worry.

Healthcare: Repeal! Don't worry about replacing.

Bag of drugs thrown over a wall: DANGER!!

T

5 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Climate change: Hoax

300 million guns in the country and growing: not a worry.

Healthcare: Repeal! Don't worry about replacing.

Bag of drugs thrown over a wall: DANGER!!

T

But, but, but...he beat Hillary!  And Obama was a bad, bad president.

:cheesy:

:wai:

19 hours ago, farcanell said:

Regardless of the size of the bags of drugs being tossed over trumps wall, I would want to be aware of who was on the receiving end, if I was doing the tossing... ergo no danger to border patrol officers

No, there are thousands of muscular Mexicans sitting behind trees on the other side of the border randomly tossing bags of drugs across.  Trump was hit on the head by one as a baby, which explains his fascination for the topic.  And a lot of other things...

"As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don't see them. They hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It's over," Trump said."

How do cartels get drugs into the US?

Rear Admiral Christopher Tomney is director of Joint Interagency Task Force South for the US Coast Guard:

"We cover over 40 million square nautical miles, and reach well out into the Atlantic, throughout north,

central and south America as well as all the way out into the eastern Pacific."

"Now well over 95% of the drugs are moving on the water via container ships, non-commercial vessels, pleasure boats, sail boats, fishing boats."

"They also have fast boats which try to outrun our law enforcement assets."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34934574

"they throw the large sacks of drugs over"

I don't know who is more simple-minded, the inept one or the supporters who fall for his ignorant nonsense...

the wall thing isn't so far fetched to many in his base... really.  folks who literally believe Noah built an Ark.. an actually ship in which they put 2 of each species..... The Wall fits in just fine. we have a new museum in the USA that is built around that {the Ark thing]... and The Wall is "believable"....

especially when you have a magical "builder" POTUS to go with it....

it rings a lot like many Bible stories do. 

it ain't no accident of words that these same folks will say that the do not "believe" in Climate Change, instead of putting it as they are "not convinced" or that it is "too complicated to understand"... they believe in a wall. even if he doesn't ever build any of it at all.       

Edited by maewang99

23 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

the wall thing isn't so far fetched to many in his base... really.  folks who literally believe Noah built an Ark.. an actually ship in which they put 2 of each species..... The Wall fits in just fine. we have a new museum in the USA that is built around that {the Ark thing]... and The Wall is "believable"....

especially when you have a magical "builder" POTUS to go with it....

it rings a lot like many Bible stories do. 

it ain't no accident of words that these same folks will say that the do not "believe" in Climate Change, instead of putting it as they are "not convinced" or that it is "too complicated to understand"... they believe in a wall. even if he doesn't ever build any of it at all.       

??

Trump is a the culmination of "wanting a president just like one of us" :

fake piety

easy answers to complicated issues

white male

a worldview based on strong convictions devoid of facts

bogus "family values"