Plumber's putty or Plumbers Mait - Wanted

a269652

i have a new sink basket that i'm trying to connect to a new ceramic bathroom sink, and despite my best efforts it's leaking.

i figure i will try to seal where the basket joins the sink hole in the top part of the sink.

i want to buy some Plumber's putty or Plumbers Mait to do the job but i can't seem to find any. suggests on where to buy and what the thai brand name(s) are.

Thanks.

Plumbers Mait is a non-setting plumbers' putty. Features: Ideal for sealing wastes, toilet connections and rainwater joints.

Plumber's putty is a type of putty used as a sealant in plumbing. It is a pliable substance used to make watertight seals around faucets and drains

mait.jpg

putty.jpg

You are using the rubber washer between the basket and the sink (on top of the ceramic) aren't you?

The locals use silicon (yuk) but I've not seen any of the plumbing putties here (not really looked hard mind).

Never seen putty either.  Like Crossy said, the locals use silicone - which will work OK.  You just need to put enough down (maybe more than enough) to make sure it's getting a good seal.  (Same as with putty)

Otherwise, your leak could be from the trap connection.  I almost went crazy a while back when a new drain I bought would not connect properly with the current - and then a new - trap pipe.  Finally ended up getting another new drain that fit.

X 3 on the rubber gaskets. I recently put 3 differant sinks in. The Cotto was the best made, easy to seal at the drain. Seems alot of the sinks here are not the same angle in the basin and underneath. One was a pita. I went with a Hafele drain  (in pic). Those and Cotto seem to be the best quality and best gaskets. I went a step further and had a heavy washer machined so I could really put the squeeze on that lower gasket. Next step would have been silicone but no need. 

I'll attach pic later. Can't do it from my phone. 

In case you haven't sealed her yet, here's the pic I mentioned. The Hafele & Cotto drains come with a heavier lower gasket that have an extra lip that goes up between threads on drain & ceramic/porcelain (whatever they're made of). You could use teflon tape on your threads also. The washer was overkill but I was in this fight to long to leave it to chance.

sink 1.jpg

I've used Aqua Putty (I think that's the name, if not, it's something close to that) to seal leaks in plumbing and bought it at Home Pro.  It's a two part epoxy-type putty that you squeeze/mash together and apply.

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I've used Aqua Putty (I think that's the name, if not, it's something close to that) to seal leaks in plumbing and bought it at Home Pro.  It's a two part epoxy-type putty that you squeeze/mash together and apply.

Do not use to seal sink waste fittings

4 hours ago, sappersrest said:

Do not use to seal sink waste fittings

I guess that I would have to disagree.  When I built my house 18 years ago the kitchen sink came with a set of gray plastic drain pipes that were designed to hook together with  gaskets and screw on fittings (attached to the pipes)  The problem with them was that the fittings would not tighten enough and would strip or "jump" the plastic threads, Teflon tape was useless. I  never could get them to completely seal and there were leaks.  I bought some "aqua putty" and sealed all of the fittings using it fully intending to replace the drains with PVC at a later date.  It's now 18 years later and the original drains are still in place.  The "aqua putty" is an epoxy glue and will dry hard but should supply the required seal.

I keep a tube in the workshop for emergencies and have temporarily repaired leaking pipes and even holes in large plastic containers.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

The "aqua putty" is an epoxy glue and will dry hard but should supply the required seal.

But, you will likely never get it off should the fittings need replacing (not often admittedly). Fine as a last desperation measure but not as a general solution.

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

But, you will likely never get it off should the fittings need replacing (not often admittedly). Fine as a last desperation measure but not as a general solution.

I agree, but so far where I have used it it's still in place doing the job intended, and I learned a long time ago "not to fix something that is not broken"!

Many (many) moons ago I bought a motorcycle, a Matchless 250 IIRC. Someone had used Araldite to retain the sump plug. Oil changes involved inverting the beast (take the tank off first) and draining the oil via the filler. Wish I'd kept it, would be worth $$$ now :sad:

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Maybe for a different thread but is this a case of people bringing their culture to a foreign country rather than adapting and using what is locally available?

Hahaha... Possibly.. But in this case it's more a case of superior technology rather than inferior culture..

Must admit I get really sick of only being able to find poor quality fittings or zero choice/selection due to limited stock.

Currently fitting a kitchen. The mixer tap has 3/8 inch female fittings but 1/2 inch is the norm here. Trying to find a 3/8 to 1/2 reducer just about impossible as I didn't want mild steel. Also needed an extension as the 1/2" tapered female port is flush with the wall and the cabinet backs are quite deep. No prob to find the 1/2" hex extension ( in brass - really wanted stainless ) but the tapered thread is so badly machined that the thread never reaches interference. The shoulders of the hex meet before the surfaces of the thread. Consequently this means using a mile of teflon tape to get a seal. Wrong ! Worse being that teflon is so slippery ( and brass is pretty soft ) it's impossible to tighten the fittings to 'stop' at the correct orientation. It's just Mickey Mouse and bad practice. Now waiting for a trip overseas to but some better quality fittings.. Won't even go into trying to locate a 1/4 turn stop valve with a female port - All the ones here are male. <deleted> !

I resorted to having a friend hand carry a small tub of Plumbers Putty in from the USA. I gave up looking here as all the Thai's pointed to the silicone seal method and I even tried making some from modeler's clay and oil but not so good.

Maybe for a different thread but is this a case of people bringing their culture to a foreign country rather than adapting and using what is locally available?

Most people will gladly use local products and technology unfortunately a lot of it is quite inferior to what a lot of expats are used to, so adaptations have to be sought and folk dont want half a kilo of silicone on every leaking joint

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Many (many) moons ago I bought a motorcycle, a Matchless 250 IIRC. Someone had used Araldite to retain the sump plug. Oil changes involved inverting the beast (take the tank off first) and draining the oil via the filler. Wish I'd kept it, would be worth $$$ now :sad:

Pity, it wasn't a Triumph. It would have constantly drained itself!

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Pity, it wasn't a Triumph. It would have constantly drained itself!

Just like all the Brit-bikes of the era, it had a vertically split crankcase, p***ed oil with the best of them.

There's a real Beazer twin that we pass each lunch time in a shop-house at Chatuchak, complete with regulation drip pan. The owner rides it most days, makes a "proper" noise.