Trouble getting account at Bangkok Bank

I just got my US Social Security and I want it sent to Bangkok Bank in Bang Saphan. What do I need to do to set up a direct deposit account with them?

They seem to want my Social Security card which would require a replacement card ordered from the US. But from what I read on the BB website (see below), a letter of reference from the US Embassy would do it, which would be easier. Any others have experience opening a Bangkok Bank direct deposit account?

** Also, I wonder if I could simply photocopy my passport and sent it to the US Embassy, since I live 6 hours to the south of BKK.

Thanks

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

• ONE of the following documents:
    • A letter of reference from one of the following:
      • Embassy or international organization
      • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
      • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
      • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
      • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
      • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

The only thing they asked for when I opened a direct deposit account was my social security card. I had read the requirements ahead of time and I requested one at the embassy. It took a little over 2 weeks after I did the application to get the card mailed to here.

You are looking at the wrong page for the direct deposit application. Go to this page: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Then click on "Advice to Bangkok Bank customers receiving payments from US government agencies or private organizations (Direct Deposit)"

You will then see this as one of the requirements.

Submit all forms to Bangkok Bank with the following supporting documents:

Identification Card/Government Official ID Card/Passport together with a customer identification document such as your Social Security Card, Annuitant ID Card etc.

A document from the relevant agency giving evidence of your right to receive the payments.

Archived