Running shoe soles wear unevenly - what to do?

simon43

As reported in other threads, I've been jogging on a treadmill since February (I don't mean continuously!!).  I'm now running 10 Km in about 55 minutes, with no discomfort to my legs or feet.

I wear a pair of Adidas Glide running shoes.  These are very light and comfortable.

Today, when looking at my shoes, I noticed that the soles had worn unevenly.  Specifically, the heels were worn more on the outer edge of each foot, rather than on the centre of the heel.

I also note the same type of wear on my day-to-day shoes.

Clearly, when I'm jogging, I'm not landing on the centre of my heel.

Should I be landing on the centre of my heel?

Is it a problem that I seem to be landing on the outer edge of each foot?  (I don't feel that I'm landing awkwardly, and there is never any pain or discomfort after my runs).

Should I do something to correct this outer-edge wear and, if so, what do I need to do?

If you're running without pain or injury, all you can do is replace the pair when the more heavily shoe is worn out... I wouldn't be messing with my running style; that's what could lead to injury.  Take comfort in the fact that you're doing very well.  The cost of a new pair of shoes that may have to be replaced a little earlier than you anticipated is a small price to pay for the success you're achieved.  Keep on runnin'!

• 11 months later...

Did you get this resolved? You are over-pronating and would be better off with a running shoe designed to counter this. Asics used to have a range of shoes to counter pronating and I would imagine Brooks ect would also have them. Over pronating can cause injury over time. There are also specific exercises that help.

No, it's not resolved, other than buying a new pair of running shoes every year, (same as the previous make ==> Adidas Alphabounce).

To be honest, it hasn't caused me any problems so far.  It is not a pronounced unevenness, and I do like the Alphabounce shoes, like wearing ballet shoes ?

Archived