Healthiest Thai bread?

Tokay

I haven't seen many options other than the Farm House whole wheat and the fine whole wheat, but the more I look into bread I am unsure they are that healthy as I don't think they are 100% whole wheat grain, and instead simply unbleached flour as it says on their website (www.farmhouse.co.th).

Has anyone already looked into this or found better alternatives?

Thank you.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Local breads are very fluffy and really only good for toast. Whole grains are only available in specialty shops. Tops has a good selection.

I started years back to bake my own. Best solution for surely good and healthy bread, if you don't know how to bake, would be a baking machine . Veras has a few. Good whole wheat flour is available at Max Value. There are also some good grains .

Pics attached is the flour from Max Value and a rye bread , what's left of it anyway.

post-154134-14279322027169_thumb.jpg

post-154134-14279322894425_thumb.jpg

Local breads are very fluffy and really only good for toast. Whole grains are only available in specialty shops. Tops has a good selection.

I started years back to bake my own. Best solution for surely good and healthy bread, if you don't know how to bake, would be a baking machine . Veras has a few. Good whole wheat flour is available at Max Value. There are also some good grains .

Pics attached is the flour from Max Value and a rye bread , what's left of it anyway.

That looks really good! Excellent idea too! How long does your homemade bread generally last (doesn't go bad) if you don't eat it all first.

We usually eat it within 5 to 7 days. I keep it in the fridge . Only once it got bad after a week, must have touched it with something on my fingers.

If we go somewhere for a couple of days I just slice it all up and freeze it in tight plastic bag.

Not sure where you are based but that wholewheat flour is also sold in Best supermarket near the dolphin roundabout in Pattaya.

I used to live in Pattaya but moved up north to Chiang Mai a few years ago when the Russians invaded. Nothing against the Russians, just giving a reference of time.

It just so happens that only after 2 years in Chiang Mai, the Chinese invaded. blink.png It's still nice though. Just have to be careful when driving because they are hell on wheels.

I'll ask around up here and see if I can find the flour. Baking my own sounds like a good idea.

To start with and simply for convenience a bread machine is a great option. The recipes are endless. Adding sunflower seeds, herbs, spices, roasted garlic and/ or onions all great ways to experiment with.

post-154134-14279393807451_thumb.jpg

To start with and simply for convenience a bread machine is a great option. The recipes are endless. Adding sunflower seeds, herbs, spices, roasted garlic and/ or onions all great ways to experiment with.

A few questions if you don't mind:

- Is that the model you have?

- Approximately, how long does it take to bake it?

- Is it easy to clean?

- Is the process pretty straight forward, or is there some trial and error to it?

You made my day, thank you for sharing. I'm very excited now to make my own bread!

instead of "whole wheat" it is common to just color the bread in Europe.

White flour + color. Tastes like white bread so the fatties are happy to have something they like to eat and believe they eat healthy.....

- Is it easy to clean?

- Is the process pretty straight forward, or is there some trial and error to it?

You made my day, thank you for sharing. I'm very excited now to make my own bread!

This is not the one we have. Ours is three years old and I cannot find it anymore. If you check out verasu Web page you can find many. There are often promotions on these. The page has also a video. White bread takes 3.5 hours from putting the ingredients in to fully baked.

Have a look at YouTube and you get a bit of extra inspiration. Good luck baking. These things are simple and produce good bread.

The only backdraw I see is that the bread will have a small hole in the bottom, where the kneading arm sits. To me not a big deal.

It is easy to clean.

I would start with a standard whit loaf and progress from there. So you have a success story before going into trial and error fancy recipes. YouTube is your friend.

Edited by StefanBBK

Whole wheat bread is usually only about 20% whole wheat and 80% strong white flour.

When you use a higher percentage of whole wheat it doesn't rise properly.

(But you can add lots of chemicals and sugar to make it rise)

Commercially 100% whole wheat with no additives just isn't viable.

Whole wheat bread is usually only about 20% whole wheat and 80% strong white flour.

When you use a higher percentage of whole wheat it doesn't rise properly.

(But you can add lots of chemicals and sugar to make it rise)

Commercially 100% whole wheat with no additives just isn't viable.

it rises, but it doesn't get as soft as white one....a little it tastes like a mix of sawdust and sand.

And what is much more important....it can't be processed as reliable....you do everyday the same and you get 100 % the same result. It needs more care from someone with knowledge.

It may collapse when backing it....commercial disaster....

I usually add a little bit white durum wheat flour as it is super strong.

=1 to getting a bread making machine and making your own

I have one and must say the involved work is just 5 min, and than the endless waiting (endless if you don't start before you are hungry).

Fresh hot bread with shredded garlic in olive oil is just too good.

The only place in Bangkok that I know which sells really good bread which is good value for money is Danbake, located in Sukhumvit Soi 33/1, in that little soi behind the Villa Market. They have an excellent heavy wholemeal wheat loaf called Combicorn at 90 baht, the best bread you can get in Bangkok and far better value for money than anything you can find in Tops, Gourmet Market, etc, etc, where most "wholewheat" loaves are full of air and vastly overpriced. And it's unsliced, as good bread should be, and baked on the premises.

They also have other types of loaves of lighter make-up which are very good, even an "English Loaf" which is just like the traditional white-bread unsliced loaf you get in British bakers.

In fact in this city full of low-class pseudo-bread, Danbake is a miracle.

Edited by sprq

I bake my own bread at home using a dough mixer at time and a bread machine, I have both,

my bread is mostly whole wheat, oat, rye and only about 20% is white bread flour, to keep the bread

raising and make it less dens... I add 1/2 tea spoon bread improver and some gluten when needed,

wait for it to cool slice it and freeze the loaves and use as I go ..... l

Farmhouse bread is based on a low price and as usual you get what you pay for. Easy to buy several options of flour and grains grains and experiment until you reach what you like.

In Chiang Mai we buy from Yok

- Is it easy to clean?

This is not the one we have. Ours is three years old and I cannot find it anymore. If you check out verasu Web page you can find many. There are often promotions on these. The page has also a video. White bread takes 3.5 hours from putting the ingredients in to fully baked.

Have a look at YouTube and you get a bit of extra inspiration. Good luck baking. These things are simple and produce good bread.

The only backdraw I see is that the bread will have a small hole in the bottom, where the kneading arm sits. To me not a big deal.

It is easy to clean.

I would start with a standard whit loaf and progress from there. So you have a success story before going into trial and error fancy recipes. YouTube is your friend.

How long can you keep the ingredients? ( ie flour) is it expensive? Ie how much per loaf

Thanks

I bake my own bread at home using a dough mixer at time and a bread machine, I have both,

my bread is mostly whole wheat, oat, rye and only about 20% is white bread flour, to keep the bread

raising and make it less dens... I add 1/2 tea spoon bread improver and some gluten when needed,

wait for it to cool slice it and freeze the loaves and use as I go ..... l

Where do you get these ingredients?

The only place in Bangkok that I know which sells really good bread which is good value for money is Danbake, located in Sukhumvit Soi 33/1, in that little soi behind the Villa Market.

I know this shop and must try it.

I always wondered if Farmhouse is really wholemeal/wholewheat.

But how about, once in a while, going unhealthy and try Tops Sourdough bread? Just like the white bread of my childhood in

London.

And to make it even more unhealthy, lashings of butter.

The bread that I buy is from Yamazaki bakery which is a japanese chain found in the big cities. Their breads and cakes are much better than Tops and 100% better than anything sold at Tesco's or 7-11. A good sign is the cakes and bakery stuff quite often has a sticker advising a 1 day eat by date. I buy a weeks worth of bread and put it in the freezer.

Yamazaki in the Central Plaza in Khon Kaen makes fantastic French baguette-----close to France standards. Their other bread is excellent as well and we find the large rye loaf keeps very well in or out of refrigerator..

my best advice is to make your own like I do its an easy process and once made you will never ever buy bread again its funny today I have two whole wheat with wheat germ and Rolled oats proving as this is typed I will add some photos of my bread so you can see ok I do not use added yeast either I have a starter which is now in its 7th year of use and again so easy to make and once made just feed it once a week and it should last much like my own.

if you want to try then here is the basic starter ok and follow it all the way sorry your starter takes 8 days as did my own but here I am with a starter 7 years old and works every time.

a plastic pot with a lid (lid used after 8 days ) day one 1 cup of whole wheat flour 1/2(half ) soft wheat flour + wheat germ/wheat bran 1/2 cup mixed

1 teaspoon salt

add two full measured cups warmed water (105 degrees ok ) stir and cover with kitchen paper or a thin cloth put on a shelf.

days 2 to 7 inclusive

take one full cup of mix out (not needed ) add 1 cup of your mixed flours & 1 cup of warmed water stir and on the shelf

day no 8 its bread making day

375 grams of mixed flours 50 grams wheat germ 50 grams wheat bran 50 grams of ground rice flour 225 grams soft wheat flour mixed all flours together add 1& 1/2 salt , take 180 grams of the mix in your plastic pot ,300 mils of warmed water not above 105 degrees

ok now before you make the dough a job to do is add to you pot of mix 1 cup of flour 1 cup of warmed water stir well put on the lid tight and into the fridge .

large bowl add flour salt bran wheat germ rice flour and mix well add salt and mix well make well add firstly the mix then add the water stir and then knead with both hands till you form a dough use a board I use a marble slab dust with flour then knead the dough for at least 10 to 15 minutes put in a pre greased bowl cover with cling film then a cloth and here the fun put it outside in the wonderful sun it the best prover ever made for at least 2 hours after this time tip the dough which has doubled it size punch it down (removes gas) shape your dough to what you want it to bake like ? a batch loaf would be good or a tinned loaf I will add photos ok outside covered again for a good 1 hour ok pre heat the oven to 210 c center shelf where the bread will be baked once your ready pop it in the oven and give it 35 to 40 minutes take it out tap the bottom sound hollow its ok now golden rule "LET IT COOL COMPLTELY DO NOT CUT IT BEFORE ITS COOL OK "

Edited by kinjay2014

just a though I use a ceramic pot to store my made bread no lid just wrap the bread in a loose cloth the small loaves keep for 9 days this way as do rolls breakfast brioche as well I have about 2,000 bread and bun recipes been baking since aged 3 years old (that was a cake though ) but that gives me just on 64 years of baking cakes bread and lots more aye please do try my bread recipe and starter my two small loaves have now proved the oven its hot and it will go in just after this post