Changing gear box oil in Hyundai family van

My Thai son has a Hyundai family van (in Chiang Mai), he has taken the van regularly to Hyundai for servicing. It's now out of warranty.

Sons' searching shows that there are several mechanic shops in Chiang Mai well capable of servicing Hyundai vehicles but Hyundai tell him that the gear box oil must be Hyundai brand oil only or there will be serious damage to the gear box.

The quoted cost (from Hyundai) to replace the gear box oil (oil only) is around 15,000Baht.

Would appreciate some serious comments, thanks. 

Cut and paste of my post earlier today:

"My Thai son has a Hyundai family van (in Chiang Mai), he has taken the van regularly to Hyundai for servicing. It's now out of warranty.

Sons' searching shows that there are several mechanic shops in Chiang Mai well capable of servicing Hyundai vehicles but Hyundai tell him that the gear box oil must be Hyundai brand oil only or there will be serious damage to the gear box.

The quoted cost (from Hyundai) to replace the gear box oil (oil only) is around 15,000Baht.

Would appreciate some serious comments, thanks".

My above post was quite wrong because I misunderstood my son. The real story:

- Son  has always used the Hyundai service facility in CM for his Hyundai family van.

The van is now just out of warranty and the Hyundai service centre gave him a quote of approx. 15,000Baht for full service check (outside of warranty), small maintenance and change the engine (diesel engine) and the gear box oil.

So my question is - can any CM members please suggest an alternative good quality service place, hopefully with staff who are familiar with Hyundai, and some suggestions of reasonable cost.

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Cut and paste of my post earlier today:

"My Thai son has a Hyundai family van (in Chiang Mai), he has taken the van regularly to Hyundai for servicing. It's now out of warranty.

Would appreciate some serious comments, thanks".

My above post was quite wrong because I misunderstood my son. The real story:

- Son  has always used the Hyundai service facility in CM for his Hyundai family van.

The van is now just out of warranty and the Hyundai service centre gave him a quote of approx. 15,000Baht for full service check (outside of warranty), small maintenance and change the engine (diesel engine) and the gear box oil.

So my question is - can any CM members please suggest an alternative good quality service place, hopefully with staff who are familiar with Hyundai, and some suggestions of reasonable cost.

Thanks. 

B-Quik.........They have all the oil info specs for the ride. You will be assured the best quality stuff with a written guarantee...

10 minutes ago, transam said:

B-Quik.........They have all the oil info specs for the ride. You will be assured the best quality stuff with a written guarantee...

Thank you. Just to be sure, I'm assuming you mean they check everything, brakes, etc, etc., and specific to the vehicle in question. 

Thanks again.

Just now, scorecard said:

Thank you. Just to be sure, I'm assuming you mean they check everything, brakes, etc, etc., and specific to the vehicle in question. 

Thanks again.

Yes they do....Of course like any business they will give an opinion to earn, but you can use your eyes as to what they are pointing out....:smile:

Just now, transam said:

Yes they do....Of course like any business they will give an opinion to earn, but you can use your eyes as to what they are pointing out....:smile:

Thanks.

Actually I am not car oriented, neither is my son, but son and I always ask for more details, 'show me what's wrong' etc., talk further to friends etc., before committing to any work.

Your comments and advice much appreciated, thanks again. 

Archived