How to send photos from my laptop to a friend's phone?

robsamui

Hi - I've been puzzling over this one, and even the rep at AIS didn't know the answer.

Probably because today everyone is toting their phones with Messenger or WhatsApp or Line installed - and that's fine for taking a photo with the phone camera and then sending it to other people.

But I have tens of thousands of images on my computer, and there are times I want to send some of these to a friend's phone. I have heard there's a way to do it by email - ie send it to [email protected] or something along these lines. But although my emailer shows it has been sent (and doesn't notify me it can't deliver it) nothing is received at the phone I'm sending to.

Any ides about how to do this?

Thanks in advance

For a few photos I tend to use LINE or FACEBOOK account to share photos, as that's what most of the mobile phone uses here consistently use and understand (mostly).  Line also has a PC version of the program.

The second route is to upload to a 'cloud' account and share the link with others.

Apple iCloud, Google Drive, or Dropbox type of online account.

Email and MMS is very old school, and MMS potentially would cost the person receiving them. 

FWIW, Whatsapp now has a PC version that you can install on desktop/notebook computers.  I don't use it, but I'd think you could send photos from your computer to a Whatsapp user that way?

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

For a few photos I tend to use LINE or FACEBOOK account to share photos, as that's what most of the mobile phone uses here consistently use and understand (mostly).  Line also has a PC version of the program.

The second route is to upload to a 'cloud' account and share the link with others.

Apple iCloud, Google Drive, or Dropbox type of online account.

Email and MMS is very old school, and MMS potentially would cost the person receiving them. 

Old school for sure.

But nothing like as old school as plugging a thumb stick into my pc so I can copy a photo so that I can transfer it to my telephone to send it. Ridiculous!!

The problem is that today 90% of people sending photos dont use a PC - they use a telephone. But seeing that I have thousands of photos  on my hard drive - some of which I need to send to the kids with LINE, - there has to be a way to do it.

The PC version of line will only work if you originally set up your LINE account on the PC. I have a phone-based LINE account. The PC version uses your email to log in. And won't accept a phone number,  making it dead in the water if you already have a LINE account!

Edited by robsamui

I have a galaxy S6  , I went in my computer ,  new email,   attached picture from file,    then send email to my own email address.

Opened email on my phone, and saved picture in my gallery.

Now the picture is in my phone to share via text

2 hours ago, robsamui said:

Old school for sure.

But nothing like as old school as plugging a thumb stick into my pc so I can copy a photo so that I can transfer it to my telephone to send it. Ridiculous!!

Hey! I have a friend in the States that just bought a dual plug USB flash drive to transfer files between his phone and PCs. When I asked why he said he 'forgot' how to do the other way and the USB stick looked simpler.

2 hours ago, robsamui said:

The PC version of line will only work if you originally set up your LINE account on the PC. I have a phone-based LINE account. The PC version uses your email to log in. And won't accept a phone number,  making it dead in the water if you already have a LINE account!

On your mobile version of LINE you need to 'register' an email address, open Setup (COGWHEEL) / Account / Email (Register Email) 

After logging into the PC version using your now registered email address I believe you also have to do a one-time Authorize of the PC app by acknowledging it on the mobile LINE app.

3 hours ago, robsamui said:

Old school for sure.

The problem is that today 90% of people sending photos dont use a PC - they use a telephone. But seeing that I have thousands of photos  on my hard drive - some of which I need to send to the kids with LINE, - there has to be a way to do it.

You can use the same Line account on your PC as you have been using on your phone.

Nobody mentioned that to use LINE on the PC, first you have to go onto your phone, locate your LINE account and in the options 'enable email' and setup with a password.

Now I've discovered this, I'll have another go.

And LINE-PC won't run on Windows 10 either!

Edited by robsamui

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

And LINE-PC won't run on Windows 10 either!

Runs fine on my Win10 laptop.

59745e13be81d_LINEforPC.JPG.1264bb99895c50adc2ea201741cbf829.JPG

** sometimes with problematic apps I try launching 'as Administrator' once so they have elevated privileges to make whatever necessary changes Win10 needs to allow them to actually run when launched normally.

Edited by RichCor

On 7/23/2017 at 8:28 AM, RichCor said:

Runs fine on my Win10 laptop.

59745e13be81d_LINEforPC.JPG.1264bb99895c50adc2ea201741cbf829.JPG

** sometimes with problematic apps I try launching 'as Administrator' once so they have elevated privileges to make whatever necessary changes Win10 needs to allow them to actually run when launched normally.

mmmm . . . unfortunately I've got a 2-in-1 tab/laptop with version 1 of Win 10 on it - for various reasons it cant be upgraded to the workable current version and I think this is the problem.

My other laptop and my desktop (both 64-bit Win 7) run the line app with no problem.

Install Google photos app on yours and your mates phone use google photos backup tool on PC to upload, then open app on your phone and select to share the whole library or select which photos to share.

If you dont use google then another service will no doubt have a similar offering.

• 1 month later...

I do this quite often, after an event.

Just upload all the photos from a PC or mobile, to a folder on Google Drive, then create and email the link. I don't think the recipient even needs gmail- it works with any email , or gdrive.

I would imagine you can do the same with any cloud-based, or even NAS-based, set-up?

I tested it with my Synology NAS and it worked fine. But Google Drive is simpler.

On 22/07/2017 at 1:51 PM, robsamui said:

Old school for sure.

Kind of old school solution but sounds like you need to get a lot of images onto a USB drive and then connect your phone to the same PC and import all images. There is a tool called Pictrace that will scan your whole drive and save every photo to its drive ensuring nothing is duplicated.