Phuket expats call for action over deadly Patong Hill road

rooster59

Phuket expats call for action over deadly Patong Hill road

The Phuket News

1500658574_1-org.jpg

The tour bus on July 10 was carrying 36 passengers when it failed to stop and crashed at the bottom of the hill, just past Wat Patong. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: An online poll launched by The Phuket News has sparked a flurry of emails from readers calling for specific action to be taken to make the deadly road down Patong Hill safer.

The Phuket News last Saturday (July 15) launched the poll, asking the simple question, “What should Phuket do about the deadly Patong Hill road?” (See story here.)

The poll was launched after two tragic tour bus crashes on Patong Hill claimed three lives in less than two weeks.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-expats-call-for-action-over-deadly-patong-hill-road-63149.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-23

For those unfamiliar, this is the corner, at the bottom of the descent, where the runaway buses do their most damage. Try not to linger there.

bus stop.JPG

Imprinted in my brain for life is the arm of a dead driver hanging out of a crushed car after the bus was removed from it a couple of years back.

Edited by Old Croc

Yes, I am always aware if any larger vehicles are behind me on the decent. Long before I reach the down hill I have already planned to stay behind heavy vehicles. That quite standard for me on any of the up/down slopes. Stay way way back on the up slope.

+1

always aware of large vehicles behind me on the down slopes, watching for any carnage starting, and try to steer clear of hill anywhere near peak times, it is entertaining in a downpour as most drivers do not slow for conditions and there is nearly always a bump...

The hill is not the problem, driver competence and common sense is.

As if they would care??? How long has it been such accidents are going on? What happened so far? Nothing. And nothing will happen as well. And talking about expats??? Really? Do you think they care? Im sorry but thats the reality

There were 10 'China buses'  chugging up the hill in front of me the other day- I didn't feel safe til I was past them.

They were doing about 10 kph- a hazard to everyone, especially when one that could do about 12 kphstarted to overtake another one. People riding inside these buses must be terrified at times.

As  for 'expats call for action' does the publisher of the article really think authorities give a hoot what they think!

Edited by Psimbo

37 minutes ago, natway09 said:

All the business people & the council are too busy banking all the tourist receipts to worry about a hill.

The tunnel was planned 20 years ago & funded. Where did the money go  ???

Only the 2 studies were funded. That moey was quickly 'pocketed'. I don't believe any construction money has been approved by central goverment.

On 23/07/2017 at 10:58 AM, Old Croc said:

For those unfamiliar, this is the corner, at the bottom of the descent, where the runaway buses do their most damage. Try not to linger there.

bus stop.JPG

Imprinted in my brain for life is the arm of a dead driver hanging out of a crushed car after the bus was removed from it a couple of years back.

Me too. Very horrifying video of the car being crushed against the concrete barrier.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, Old Croc said:

As far as I remember the bus side swiped the small car crushing it flat and the bus continued on a few more meters and crashed into an electric pole. Likely the only way the driver could stop the bus from killing more people.