Bus conductor returns 1 million baht cash to doctor, gets candy as reward

webfact

Bus conductor returns 1 million baht cash to doctor, gets candy as reward

By Coconuts Bangkok 

bc.jpg

Sumon Matidul (R), a conductor of Bus No. 511, was rewarded with two bags of candy for returning THB1.12 million cash to a doctor (L). Photo: Kapook

BANGKOK: -- In a feel-good Monday story, a noble bus conductor yesterday returned a forgotten backpack containing over 1 million baht in cash (more than USD29,000) to a passenger, who rewarded her for her honesty with — two bags of candy.

Sumon Matidul, 50, the conductor of Bus No. 511, which runs on the Bangkok outskirts, took the backpack filled with THB1.12 million in cash to the Samut Prakarn police, saying a male passenger had left it on a seat.

Sumon told police she remembered the passenger well — a 30-something man in glasses, who got on the bus at Bangna Intersection and left at Big C at Puchao Saming Phrai.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bus-conductor-returns-1-million-baht-cash-doctor-gets-candy-reward/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-07-24

Bus conductor returns lost Bt1.12 million, rewarded with snacks

By The Nation

a18ec45724d43fa61f937eed2d285b1c-atwb.jp

BANGKOK: -- A Bangkok bus conductor returned a backpack containing Bt1.12 million in cash to its owner on Sunday.

Sumon Mathidol, 50, reported the discovery to Mueang Samut Prakan police Sunday afternoon, wanting it recorded that she’d returned the bag to its owner, a gynaecologist from Chon Buri’s Si Racha district.

Daily News reported that the relieved physician, who was not named, rewarded the bus conductor with two packets of snacks.

The doctor had apparently withdrawn the cash that morning to transfer it to a bank in Samut Prakan’s Mueang district.

He took a bus from Si Racha to Bangkok and at the Bang Na intersection switched to air-conditioned bus No 511 on which Sumon was the conductor.

When he disembarked in Samut Prakan, he forgot about the bag sitting at his feet, only realising his mistake when he went to the bank to deposit the money.

The doctor went to the bus depot on Soi Crocodile Farm and was reunited with Sumon and his cash.

Sumon told police she’d found the bag while tidying the bus at the terminus and turned it over to the depot chief while she reported her fare sales to the cashier. The depot chief found the cash inside and asked her to be a witness while he counted it. 

The two were trying to figure out how to contact the owner when the gynaecologist arrived with his bank passbook as proof of ownership.

Sumon and the doctor took the depot chief’s advice and together notified police of the incident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321622

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-24

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Thainess at its best...

And I bet the doctor will put the costs of the candies on his next patients bill.

You really need to get your head examined, Lupatria, or leave this country for good, or both ...

When there's a storm in Khon kaen and someone gets hit by lightning, do you also write 'Thainess at its best' ?

Not even a pack of banana muffins from Makro? Who was that famous lady of the old  French aristocracy who called for cakes for the starving peasants? Noblesse Oblige has no international boundaries and lingers on peculiar forms.

I dropped a 1000bht note and a street vendor came after me and handed me the note and gave me a lecture about being more careful. I tried... really tried... to give her 200 bht but she absolutely refused, so all I could do was go into the 7/11 and buy her some upmarket ice cream and sweets. Restored my faith in the traditional Thai way ! If that story is true the doctor will suffered bad luck for that miserable response . 

If I returned someone's property... I wouldn't expect anything in return.  I'd be embarrassed if it was offered, would probably suggest a charity or two if they insisted.  Doing the right thing in hopes of a payout...

42 minutes ago, Katia said:

If I returned someone's property... I wouldn't expect anything in return.  I'd be embarrassed if it was offered, would probably suggest a charity or two if they insisted.  Doing the right thing in hopes of a payout...

Yes, yes...but not for a Bangkok bus conductor. 20,000 would be like the lottery. 

22 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Yes, yes...but not for a Bangkok bus conductor. 20,000 would be like the lottery. 

But I saw nothing that suggests she even asked for it.  It's the computer-chair jury here getting on the guy for not giving someone what they deem a big enough reward for not stealing someone else's property/committing a crime.