Thailand seizes $21 million in assets from dead founder of dark net marketplace AlphaBay

webfact

Thailand seizes $21 million in assets from dead founder of dark net marketplace AlphaBay

BY REUTERS 

alexandre-cazes-626x336.png

Image supplied

BANGKOK (Reuters) – Thai police have seized nearly $21 million worth of assets, from cars to cryptocurrency, belonging to the late founder of dark web marketplace AlphaBay, who died in a Bangkok jail this month, they said on Monday.

Alexandre Cazes, a 25-year-old Canadian citizen, was arrested in Thailand on July 5 at the request of the United States.

Thai police on Monday confirmed he was the administrator of AlphaBay, an online site devoted to the sale of illicit goods, ranging from computer hacking tools to drugs and weapons.

AlphaBay was widely considered the biggest online black market for drugs, estimated to host daily transactions totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Cazes was found dead in his cell at the Narcotics Suppression Bureau in Bangkok on July 12 before he was due to be extradited to the United States, deputy national police chief Chalermkiat Sriworakan said.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/thailand-seizes-21-million-assets-dead-founder-dark-net-marketplace-alphabay/23146/

ttt.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Tech 2017-07-25

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Smiley Face said:

I just wish Thailand was just as eager to prosecute criminals as they are to grab their money but it's hard to overcome the inbred money-first nature of this country.

Maybe they need to institute a bounty system to catch criminals? Rat on your neighbor and win the lottery. Double if you turn in a relative.

9 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

"Died" in jail prior to extradition. How inconvenient he could have provided many leads to further investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeap. I imagine this guy had lots of dirt on some very high up people and he would have sung like a canary to get a good deal in the States. I don't believe this guy hanged himself for a second. 

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yeap. I imagine this guy had lots of dirt on some very high up people and he would have sung like a canary to get a good deal in the States. I don't believe this guy hanged himself for a second. 

Agreed! He's been in LOS long enough to know it's not over until the fat lady eats som tum! Baht can buy get out of jail card.

1 hour ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Who gets the 21 million? or parts there of. 

The money can be used for helping poor destitute farangs in Thailand when they fall sick and do not have sufficient funds for treatment. Or helping recovering alcoholics?

2 minutes ago, saakura said:

The money can be used for helping poor destitute farangs in Thailand when they fall sick and do not have sufficient funds for treatment. Or helping recovering alcoholics?

or...maybe the general pockets it?

Who doesn't need a little walking around money?

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

"Died" in jail prior to extradition. How inconvenient he could have provided many leads to further investigation.

Exactly.

First thoughts of any crime in this country are police - then there are some folks think there are soldiers involved in crime also...

Whether it's true or not, there are some ignorant and cynical people here on Thai Visa that insist they encourage or allow crime with proper kickbacks.

It is not good for the country for these institutions to suffer further, so it's best to allow the guy an easy way out.

I hope the Thai gov keeps the ill-gotten gains.  Heck, the US gov would sure as heck keep it....

[The Justice Department's inspector general found that civil-asset forfeitures took in nearly $28 billion in the last decade. In 2007, the DEA reportedly seized around $4.15 billion in cash alone. Additionally, The Washington Post reported that in 2015, seizures out-earned the losses from burglaries in the US.]

http://www.businessinsider.com/civil-asset-forfeiture-doj-new-policy-2017-7

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Yeah that's the operative word here, isn't it? "Imagine"

You're just speculating because you've nothing better to do on a Tuesday morning.

You don't have a clue if he had "dirt" on some very high up people. Indeed, one of the first rules of this kind of activity is don't bite your host's hand while you're in his house.

The guy had spent much of his young adult life living in luxury - cars, villas, cash, women etc - and, the minute he was arrested, he knew it was all over

At just 26, he was facing the prospect of life in prison being gang-raped by jailhouse meatheads.

He chose an alternative

6 minutes ago, thequietman said:

See how quickly that was done when a foreigner was involved.

Now Yingluck, that's a different matter .............................:passifier:

Yeah, the poor, victimized farang

He wasn't identified by the Thai authorities.

He was identified by the Americans who asked the Thais to bring him in.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Apparently, they keep forgetting to take away people's socks and such when they're put in detention. Crazy how people keep killing themselves or otherwise dying in high-profile cases shortly after being arrested here.

And I suppose the detention area either a] didn't have CCTV cameras, or b] they just happened to have malfunctioned that day or were offline for servicing. Perhaps they can consult with the DSI on how to remedy these kinds of problems, since they have some expertise in this area.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're just speculating because you've nothing better to do on a Tuesday morning.

Yes but my speculation is far more plausible than that suggesting the guy was murdered because he could expose some imaginary Thai "bigshot".