Thailand seizes $21 million in assets from dead founder of dark net marketplace AlphaBay

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Thai Ron said:

You know what you can do with you "question", don't you?

Not expect an answer 'cos you don't know?

Read up on these things before you post comments criticizing how other members rationalize their thoughts based on reading the information.  

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Not expect an answer 'cos you don't know?

Read up on these things before you post comments criticizing how other members rationalize their thoughts based on reading the information.  

I know just fine but I don't see why I should do your research for you.

I think your rationalization is laughable.

You've just conjured up a Thai bogeyman in the shadows for what reason I can't begin to imagine.

Al the hallmarks of what a pubescent child addicted to crime novels might come up with

Just now, Thai Ron said:

I know just fine but I don't see why I should do your research for you.

I think your rationalization is laughable.

You've just conjured up a Thai bogeyman in the shadows for what reason I can't begin to imagine.

Al the hallmarks of what a pubescent child addicted to crime novels might come up with

To paraphrase a well-known newspaper here;

'Officials found a laptop already signed in with a list of names and accounts for customers and clients. Officials don't believe the names are of any Thai nationals"

Phew, that's a relief. Imagine if someone very big and important from Thailand were on there. They'd have to go and arrest them and it would be all over the newspapers. 

I'm not asking you to do any research for me. Until you can answer my question, I will assume you don't know and you haven't read the reports properly. Based on this information I will dismiss any ideas of yours. 

Just now, rkidlad said:

'Officials found a laptop already signed in with a list of names and accounts for customers and clients. Officials don't believe the names are of any Thai nationals"

Phew, that's a relief. Imagine if someone very big and important from Thailand were on there. They'd have to go and arrest them and it would be all over the newspapers. 

I'm not asking you to do any research for me. Until you can answer my question, I will assume you don't know and you haven't read the reports properly. Based on this information I will dismiss any ideas of yours. 

I'm happy for you to assume whatever you like about my reasons for not answering your stupid question..as long as it gets me out of this tiresome, boring round of bickering.

Just now, Thai Ron said:

I'm happy for you to assume whatever you like about my reasons for not answering your stupid question..as long as it gets me out of this tiresome, boring round of bickering.

It's called debating. If you don't do your research, you get dismissed. 

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

If you scroll up and download the alphabay forfeiture link I attached it has all the info.

Seems the Thai's wil get <deleted> all as it was a FBI/DEA operation.

59 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Answer my question. What's the warrant exactly for?

Google it yourself. Many of the news stories say EXACTLY what it was for. 

Money laundering, conspiracy to sell drugs etc etc. There what's about 6-8 charges. 

Jeez some people are just lazy or stupid on here to Google anything. 

Just now, jabsjabs said:

Money laundering, conspiracy to sell drugs etc etc. There what's about 6-8 charges. 

I think you missed the point of me asking. I know why. I've read the reports. It was a question aimed at someone who hadn't. 

1 minute ago, jabsjabs said:

amazes me why people dont download the seizure link I posted, its all there in black and white !!

Remember the Thai wife of the guy who got whacked (assassinated) in Pattaya???  But, but, but....he was JUST a website designer.....

I guess you could say... this guy was a website designer too...  I never had any idea that website designing could be so dangerous. :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Remember the Thai wife of the guy who got whacked (assassinated) in Pattaya???  But, but, but....he was JUST a website designer.....

I guess you could say... this guy was a website designer too...  I never had any idea that website designing could be so dangerous. :ph34r:

LOL.

If you design in the dark you might stumble.

If you read how he build the hardware in the picture above the guy definately had skills and probably could have made big bucks in a honest way as well.

1 minute ago, meom said:

LOL.

If you design in the dark you might stumble.

If you read how he build the hardware in the picture above the guy definately had skills and probably could have made big bucks in a honest way as well.

Not sure he would have made 22 million dollars in 3 years though.

It wasn't so long ago that Thailand had the war on drugs.

It wouldn't be my first choice of residence if I was running one of the biggest international drug operations on the planet.

I'm not surprised he ended up dead.  Maybe suicide, maybe not.

1 minute ago, lkv said:

Not sure he would have made 22 million dollars in 3 years though.

I don't think so either but then again how much do you really need to live comfortable?

2 minutes ago, meom said:

Yes pretty amazing how the FBI/DEA immediately transferred  some of the assets to their accounts.

8 million dollars of digital currency, while the Royal Thai Police was watching.

Imagine that was going through the mind of the RTP at that time :)

Edited by lkv

12 minutes ago, lkv said:

8 million dollars of digital currency, while the Royal Thai Police was watching.

Imagine that was going through the mind of the RTP at that time :)

LOL.

They might get their cut when the confiscated cars and houses go up for auction...

23 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Thanks for posting that. It DOES make for a very interesting read.

Heck, it took the feds almost 5 pages of the complaint just to recite/list all the different cars, houses, bank accounts, cryptocurrency holdings, etc. that this guy and his wife had, spread out over quite a few different countries, not just in Thailand. He truly was an international (illegal) financier -- albeit now, a dead one.

I'm kind of thinking, the feds probably would have liked to interview and grill this guy at length, if they had been able to get their hands on him for the longer-term.  But as the saying goes, dead men tell no tales.

But according to the complaint, this guy was hardly acting alone. The complaint says there were 8-10 people working on his site and getting paid salaries for doing so. Wonder what's happened to the others???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But according to the complaint, this guy was hardly acting alone. The complaint says there were 8-10 people working on his site and getting paid salaries for doing so. Wonder what's happened to the others???

They were getting paid those salaries in digital currency, they could be anywhere on this planet.

54 minutes ago, meom said:

LOL.

They might get their cut when the confiscated cars and houses go up for auction...

They would get a 100% cut of those in my opinion, plus whatever they find in Thai bank accounts.

All they have to do is pretty much what the Americans did, write a piece of paper and run it through the Thai courts that he spent here proceeds of crime (money laundering), therefore he has broken Thai laws, etc etc.

Or perhaps it all vanishes somehow.

Happened to Yingluck :)

The Americans had their cut when they found the computer open and unsecured, got his passwords, went into all his accounts and depleted them of 8 million, under the nose of the Thais.

I don't think the RTP had a clear understanding of what digital currency is when they did conducted the bust.

Or maybe they did, you guys take the digital currency we take the rest. :)

Edited by lkv

23 hours ago, rkidlad said:

While I agree with most of your comments this must be the most telling. Surely mister darkweb super coder shadow man aint leaving laptops around already signed in with comprehensive details of names accounts and clientz hhahaha

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

They would get a 100% cut of those in my opinion, plus whatever they find in Thai bank accounts.

All they have to do is pretty much what the Americans did, write a piece of paper and run it through the Thai courts that he spent here proceeds of crime (money laundering), therefore he has broken Thai laws, etc etc.

Or perhaps it all vanishes somehow.

Happened to Yingluck :)

The Americans had their cut when they found the computer open and unsecured, got his passwords, went into all his accounts and depleted them of 8 million, under the nose of the Thais.

I don't think the RTP had a clear understanding of what digital currency is when they did conducted the bust.

Or maybe they did, you guys take the digital currency we take the rest. :)

What you really think he wasnt hacked? You think I guy of this magnitude leaves his computer and servers open and unsecured? Yeah right

3 minutes ago, starky said:

While I agree with most of your comments this must be the most telling. Surely mister darkweb super coder shadow man aint leaving laptops around already signed in with comprehensive details of names accounts and clientz hhahaha

He did. That's how they got him if you read the pdf file.

It was a law enforcement controlled shut down of one of the servers, which forced him to be on his laptop doing a reboot while he was busted.

That's how they found him with his computer open and unsecured.

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, lkv said:

He did. That's how they got him if you read the pdf file.

It was a law enforcement controlled shut down of one of the servers, which forced him to be on his laptop doing a reboot while he was busted.

That's how they found him with his computer open.

Yeah but what your describing isnt just thai cops wandering in and finding his whole network open on his lappy is it. RTP couldnt find their arse with two hands and a flashlight and im pretty sure majority cant read english either.