Which country/embassy for ED visa second time/year?

Hi TV, I've spent quite a while reading here and around the internet before posting, so hopefully this question has a specific enough scope, and isn't too common.

I'm going to apply for an ED visa to study Thai language for a second year (I understand it's not actually a renewal). Vientiane sounds like a lot of work--take a plane to somewhere else, book a bus, get a visa, bridge fee, trade different currencies for exact amounts, go here but not there, wait many hours with a large crowd, speak an incantation and leave magic beads for the troll under the bridge, etc. So I thought Malaysia might be a better option.

However, I've read here that Kuala Lumpur can be difficult, and in fact my new school told me that they won't issue ED visas for *private* schools there.

Penang sounds like a possibly smoother trip, however my school has heard that while they will issue Year 1 ED visas, Year 2 may not be possible. (They are helpful and only reporting what they know, and they certainly know more than I do about this, based on the experiences of others with different embassies that appear to have their own rules/interpretations at times.)

Has anyone dealt with this particular scenario (especially Year 2 study), and can you share your experience? What's a good embassy to target for this? In this case I don't mind paying a little more airfare to avoid a lot of hassle.

Thanks for reading.

Vientiane is not all that bad. Go on Tuesday or Wednesday and it will not be that busy since that is the days the visa run vans are not there. You can fly direct to Vientiane from either airport in Bangkok. Or you can fly to Udon Thani and take a van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Kai.

Penang may be ok. Check with on of the agents there about their requirements is the best way to know what you need or if they will do it or not. Contact Jim to find out since he is the most well known one. http://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/

• Like 1

Completely unrelated to this thread (naturally), I enquired with an unnamed agent about an unnamed country (that isn't Laos) regarding my situation, and here is the total response I received:

"Well if u can show proof if money maybe I can help u"

Lovely. But I suppose that's what it all comes down to in this life, eh?

At least it's direct. Perhaps that's better than the person who smiles to your face, while stabbing you in the back. :dry: