Ketogenic (Keto) Diet/Lifestyle

DividendGuy

@Pungdo

I agree with everything you said, except I think it will take only three months (90 days) before Turgid (post 57) knows if keto is for him or not.

If he sticks to it religiously for 90 days there will be significant weight loss and his body will have accommodated to the diet change, so I'm sure he'd know.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

whats interesting about keto is that you don't feel hungry all the time….I can barely eat more than a meal a day….fat is more satiating than carbs for sure.

Sure, why be hungry with a gut full of fat and meat and no BM for days on end?....

34 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure, why be hungry with a gut full of fat and meat and no BM for days on end?....

people who aren't getting BM on keto are doing a few things wrong…..they need to drink a lot more water than before, to start with….this is to flush out the kidneys and soften the stools…they should also up their fibre drastically

I choose flaxseed meal (which I make into tortillas with almond and coconut four) and oat bran everyday and I have seen an easing in BM problems. Also must eat lots of low carb veggies like broccoli, spinach etc….

another less drastic alternative to Keto is the Dukan Diet….look it up.

Edited by JHolmesJr

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

people who aren't getting BM on leto are doing a few things wrong…..they need to drink a lot more water

than before to start with….this is to flush out the kidneys and soften the stools…they should also up their fibre drastically

I choose flaxseed meal (which I make into tortillas with almond and coconut four) and oat bran everyday and I have seen an easing in BM problems. Also must eat lots of low carb veggies like broccoli, spinach etc….

Can I talk you out of the recipe for the tortillas?

13 minutes ago, rijb said:

Can I talk you out of the recipe for the tortillas?

1/2 cup almond flour (fine)

1/2 cup flaxseed meal

1/3 cup coconut flour

2 tbsp psyllium husk powder (binding agent)

Add all ingredients in a bowl, mix together and season with salt (cumin, cayenne optional). Drizzle some olive oil.

Add a quarter cup or more of warm water…and knead it into a ball with your hands.

Shape into dough balls and roll between two sheets of baking paper…do not attempt to roll with naked rolling pin

it will stick and make a mess. The shape you get will be like an amoeba…..just place a pot cover on it and tear off the extra bits, leaving a perfect circle.

Cook on a griddle using butter, coconut oil spray….goes great with anything.

Edited by JHolmesJr

• 2 weeks later...

So, as much as a joke about these diets, I started one 2 weeks ago.

I am usually good height and weight it is not hard as I am close to 6'3".

But had an injury a couple months ago and was sitting on my butt to much gained about 10 pounds.

I lost the 10 in 2 weeks.  Here was my diet:

Breakfast:  3 scrambled eggs, 3 pieces of lean Ham (not bacon), broccoli or asparagus.

Lunch:  Chicken salad with breast meat dressing on the side, large bowl of soup with meat and veggies.

Dinner:  Large Chicken breast or piece of fish, asparagus or broccoli, and bell peppers.

For a snack I would eat a Guava or watermelon.  Treat was a diet Coke.

Took a one hour walk everyday and had several interactions with ladies producing a good sweat. :)

Is this anything, Keto or whatever?  It was not that hard just seemed like common sense as a way to lose weight.

On the constipation issues, I drank a lot of water but every other day I took a good dose of sugar free Metamucil.

Anyway, good luck to those trying to lose weight.

Edited by bkk6060

On 7/29/2017 at 4:56 PM, bkk6060 said:

The guy on the left looks like a 40 yr old fat guy.

The guy on the right looks like a 60 yr old skinny guy.

As one gets older I actually think people look better with a little extra weight. Older skinny dudes seem to look unhealthy.

But, maybe they feel better.

95% of the people I know who have gone on the low carb deal have gained it back.  

Good luck to those who try it.

good lord, wonder what you looked like at 40.

47 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I wouldn't call this keto....fruits are high in carbs and sugar. Not conducive to weaning your body to accept fat as fuel.

ok thanks.  I read about them and it said especially Guava,  is low in sugar. But it all seemed to work for me so I am happy.

@bkk6060

Your regime was quite low in carbs, and it's a sensible low-calorie eating plan which will lose 10lbs quickly, as it obviously did. You're clearly not the type of person who really needs a 'diet' because you understand portion control and calories. 

If someone had a lot more weight to lose it would be worth being more strict on the carbs and going into the keto zone, where fat is metabolised in preference to carbs and more weight would normally be lost. 

Fruit and veg aren't banned in keto but it's important to know which ones contain a lot of carbs. 

42 minutes ago, Tapster said:

@bkk6060

Your regime was quite low in carbs, and it's a sensible low-calorie eating plan which will lose 10lbs quickly, as it obviously did. You're clearly not the type of person who really needs a 'diet' because you understand portion control and calories. 

If someone had a lot more weight to lose it would be worth being more strict on the carbs and going into the keto zone, where fat is metabolised in preference to carbs and more weight would normally be lost. 

Fruit and veg aren't banned in keto but it's important to know which ones contain a lot of carbs. 

Thanks. The day after I stopped I got a iced coffee drink obviously loaded with sugar.

After about 3 sips, I stated getting a splitting headache. Maybe a coincidence not sure seemed strange as the first processed sugar I had in 2 weeks.

7 hours ago, Tapster said:

I've not experienced a headache but I had a Dr Pepper after two weeks of keto and I couldn't believe how sweet it was. I couldn't finish it! 

Use Erythritol and/or monk fruit (luo han guo) powder as sweeteners....both are all-natural, 0 carb, 0 Cal, 0 GI sweeteners.

Erythritol gets eliminated in the small intestine....altho some have reported a case of the squirts with it. I use it to make  keto ice cream with coconut milk.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 12:03 PM, Thai Ron said:

Ketogenic diets will give you fast results in terms of weight loss but it will mostly be water weight.

As soon as you eat carbs again, the glycogen in your cells will store 4 X their own weight in water.

This is why some dieters are so disheartened when they check the scales after a pizza the night before only to discover they feel bloated and have put on 2 or 3kg overnight (which is exactly what they've done).

I went through the highs and lows of elation and frustration trying to shed fat this way and eventually  gave up.

Started relying on cardio/resistance training and the cold hard math of caloric deficits and just consuming less than I expended.

Takes longer but the fat loss is consistent.

I find the cold hard math of caloric deficits is much easier on keto diet. Because when I eat keto I feel full all the time and I feel full after eating only a little bit. But hey, we are all different. And ofcourse, I can imagine if you constantly relapse (go out of ketosis) the setbacks will be disheartening. But so will stopping going to the gym etc.

On 12/14/2017 at 2:47 PM, questionsreplies said:

Hello, keto diet seems the best choice for someone who cannot limit his carbs intake. How long have you done it ? Any tips to help beginners ? Thanks.

Start with cutting out refined sugars first. No more sweet drinks! No more coke, no more lipton ice tea. no more... u know what i mean... God I miss those.... switch your beer to San miguel light (add lime inside :))

Then cut out noodles and rice.. Just order whatever dish you usually eat minus the rice or the noodles... so noodle soup without the noodles.. fried vegetables without the rice.. etc...  and ofcourse say "no sugar" .. not that they listen half the time :D

Some people say you should try to eat extremely strict in terms of carbs in the beginning so that you will burn your glucose stores quickly as not to prolong the sometimes painful (headaches etc) transition between burning glucose and burning ketones.

Edited by hobz

On 9/15/2017 at 5:18 PM, JHolmesJr said:

whats interesting about keto is that you don't feel hungry all the time….I can barely eat more than a meal a day….fat is more satiating than carbs for sure.

Yes! It's incredible! I would order 2 or 3 plates for lunch, breakfast and dinner... the usual thai food,, fried vegetables with rice, noodles, etc etc + fried egg on top. That's 6 to 9 dishes per day! (ok, that's thai size portions, but still!) And then I would snack in between! Never satisfied! Like a true drug addict, but for food! 

Now on keto I eat like 2-3 meals per day, and it's only 1 plate for each meal.... and I feel full all the time! Sometimes If I crave something I have a sip of coconut oil or heavy cream :D

Edited by hobz

Here's a doctor whining about how unhealthy keto is....yes it's unhealthy.....for their earnings. No one with blood sugar problems (diabetes)...no one with obesity related illnesses to fleece.

wasn't it the doctors who told us that fat was the enemy decades ago...the same doctors who received money from the sugar lobby to say that. cant trust any of these white coated turncoats.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/ketogenic-diet-is-the-ultimate-low-carb-diet-good-for-you-2017072712089

love how the comments set him right.

Edited by JHolmesJr

• 3 weeks later...

@Thai Ron

You're correct in saying that early spectacular losses are mostly water weight, but.....

• Losses after that aren't mostly water weight, and how many people are going to try the keto diet, then stop after the first stage, when water is lost? That doesn't make much sense. If you're going to start a diet and are informed, then anyone would know that it's mostly water at the beginning.
    Why would you eat carbs again immediately. That's just silly. Diets are supposed to last more than a week.
    By coincidence, I started a keto diet just over a week ago. I have been very strict and lost 4.4kg in the first week. Not bad, but I certainly don't expect to continue at that rate, because that's not how it works.

• On 7/29/2017 at 12:03 PM, Thai Ron said:

I went through the highs and lows of elation and frustration trying to shed fat this way and eventually  gave up.

I'm afraid you weren't following a keto diet.

• After you're in ketosis and your body is adapted to using your own stored fat to produce energy, then you are losing weight constantly, especially if you are eating less than normal, and maybe fasting a little as well.
    Meals can be much further apart as hunger is reduced, because if your body needs more energy when you aren't eating, it is adapted to use your onboard reserves. That's quite a bonus with this diet.
    Calorie intake is significant here because obviously if you eat too many calories your body will use those and not your stored fat. You might even gain weight. Calories are important if you're using a keto diet to lose weight.

If anyone is trying the keto diet, I have some ketone indicator sticks for showing the levels of ketones in your urine.

I bought two packs when I should have bought only one. It turns out that you don't need them very often but that they are a useful tool to check that you're in ketosis.

OK, so one sealed box of 50 "Uristix" for 440 THB.

I'm based in Phuket.

On 28/01/2018 at 3:50 PM, Tapster said:

If anyone is trying the keto diet, I have some ketone indicator sticks for showing the levels of ketones in your urine.

I bought two packs when I should have bought only one. It turns out that you don't need them very often but that they are a useful tool to check that you're in ketosis.

OK, so one sealed box of 50 "Uristix" for 440 THB.

I'm based in Phuket.

Are they just the strips you dip into the urine, no gadget required ?? If so i will happily take them off your hands, I'm in Pattaya so post would suffice, send me a PM with your bank details and I will deposit it for you and give you my postal address.

On 06/08/2017 at 5:56 PM, InMyShadow said:

One has to dedicate your life to this diet. Slipping back onto carbs will take you straight back to where you were.
I lost 15kg in 2 months but slipped up by drinking beer and that of course was followed up by the odd pizza
Anyway Already started the diet again and ready know what the results will be.. It's almost like a science

Drink whisky. No carbs. 4 bottles of single malt a year costs less than 1 box of beer every month.

And eat salami omelettes with prawns instead of pizza.

Just a matter of choices.

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Drink whisky. No carbs. 4 bottles of single malt a year costs less than 1 box of beer every month.

And eat salami omelettes with prawns instead of pizza.

Just a matter of choices.

San miguel light supposedly has very few carbs as well. Put some lime in there and it's almost good for your health :D

Just now, hobz said:

San miguel light supposedly has very few carbs as well. Put some lime in there and it's almost good for your health :D

Except light beer is piss weak. Single malt is full flavour. Rather drink water than light beer.

I have lost 6kg now on Keto diet since Jan 7! 

The first kilos are supposed to be easy I guess.. from 139kg to 133kg ... I'm 189cm tall, so my BMI is still Obese... I hope it keeps working and I hope to be able to report that I'm under 100kg before year 2018.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

I have lost 6kg now on Keto diet since Jan 7! 

The first kilos are supposed to be easy I guess.. from 139kg to 133kg ... I'm 189cm tall, so my BMI is still Obese... I hope it keeps working and I hope to be able to report that I'm under 100kg before year 2018.

Add in some walking or bike riding. Weights once or twice a week.

Edited by Justfine