National Insurance Number Uk Settlement Visa

Hi, I wondered if your partner gets a settlement visa for the UK, are they entiltled to use the National Health Service, just like a UK citizen? Thanks

Yes they can as mentioned above berries.

But why on the title of this thread have you put "National Insurance Number" ? This is a totally different area alltogether. She won't (usually) be given an NI number until she starts employment.

"But why on the title of this thread have you put "National Insurance Number" ? This is a totally different area alltogether. She won't (usually) be given an NI number until she starts employment."

Sorry - I thought that was linked to health care. I have been out of the UK for a long time and never actually worked there - I came here straight from uni - so my misconception was never corrected - until now - thanks!

And incidentally, she is a he! It shouldn't bother me that people always assume that people with thai partners are men - but it does!

:o

hi there

yes your partner will be able to get free nhs when in the uk, just go to your doctors, But will not get a National Insurance Number until he/she is working remembering you can only work if you have a settlement visa or leave to remain,You cannot work on vist visa etc

all the best pete and som

He will be self employed but I guess the DSS can still issue a NI number. I also wondered about bank accounts. I know having no credit history is as bad as having poor credit history but presumably it's still straight forward getting a standard bank account? Even I am concerned about going back as all my credit history is here. Is your credit rating transferable? I have a citibank credit card which I think is a global bank, right? I had thought about opening an HSBC account on the assumption that my credit rating would be more easily accessed when I return to the UK - not sure if that would make any difference or not.

Berries, when my husband arrive nearly 3 years ago on his RV he was automatically issues with a medical card, we then went along to the GP & registered together. He has never been required to show proof of residence at hospital or at the doctors since.

As for the NI number, there is no longer a DSS, so you must apply for an NI number at the job centre. They will then arrange an interview at one of their centres (not always the one local to you) Best thing to do as soon as your partner arrives is send his CV off to loads of jobs via the net or local paper even if they aren't suitable or he has no hope of getting it as the job centre will need to see that he is trying to get work before they will give an NI number out. The phoen the job centre & arrange an interviw as sometimes there is a long waiting time for an appointment.

One of the most stupid things in the UK is they wont issue a NI number unless you have a job or can prove that you are trying to get one with a bunch of rejection letters (at least 4 we were told, we only had 2 so was refused first application) but most agencies will only take someone on if they have an NI number, which is why the internet job searches are best. Local papers are good too. But FYI, the best jobs are with the agency so the sooner you can get him a number the better.

Oh & most agencies & employers will no longer accept a temp NI number which was usually made up with TM; date of birth & then if male or female e.g. TM 23-04-75 F.

They started cracking down on that 2 years ago so he really will need a real NI number ASAP.

It sounds complicated but it is just more time consuming & frustrating if you get some job centre idiot,

but once they have it it is his forever.

best of luck

About bank accounts, well this can be another pain in the bum. IF he is registered with an agency then LloydsTsb will let him have a basic classic account but as per above post, getting the NI number to register at the agency will take time. Otherwise from our experience, he willl need bills in his name at your address for 3 months to qualify for his own account (not including the first month or moving in) so the quickest & easiest way is to get a joint account which after a few months, he can then apply for his own at the same bank & branch. :o

Cant add much to Boo's comprehensive advice above. You dont say if its a bank account or just credit card you have with citi bank but you should know they have 4 branches in London. I dont think they have an ATM card agreement with other banks as they dont have the Cirrus or Maestro symbols. Opening an HSBC bank in Thailand is a pain (only one branch in Bangkok) and you may find you need a hefty deposit to open. If you used to have an account in UK a few years ago that should help if you have any records of the account number etc, however usually as soon as you get a job where you need a salary paid into your account and you have some utiity bills in your name you will find a bank who will open an account for you. That may be a reason to mix the bills some in your name and some in your partners if you dont share the same name.

The reason it's getting difficult to get an NI number in UK and they have this sort of Catch 22 situation is because once anyone has an NI number they have access to so much public assistance and there are plenty going to UK right now looking for just that.

Your partner will also need a NI number if he is self employed as he will have to make contributions in his own right. He will also have to register as self employed with the Inland Revenue within 3 months of start up. Good luck, its all possible if sometimes frustrating.

He will also have to register as self employed with the Inland Revenue within 3 months of start up.

Correct and if he doesn't, he is liable to be fined. Don't you just love the Inland Revenue (now known as HMRC, HM Revenue and Customs since April 2005)

As for Bank account. For my Mrs it was a doddle. Nationwide are the tops. Applied over the internet and all we had to do then was pop into a local branch to show proof of ID (passport) and her name on 2 utilty bills. The added bonus about Nationwide is that they don't charge for withdrawals over seas, so it saves you money when you go back on holiday to LOS. :o

That may be a reason to mix the bills some in your name and some in your partners if you dont share the same name.

Another good reason is for applying for ILR (indefinate leave to remain) the home office like to see as many bills in either both your names or an equal amount in yours & hubbies.

Irrespective of self-employment or PAYE, a National Insurance No. will be needed. Its the nearest the UK curently has to an ID card and information about its usage is accessible to the revenue, DWP etc.

Contrary to popular belief, and certainly the knowledge of most clerks from the Dept. for Work and Pensions (DWP) who issue them, you do not have to have a job to apply for one, nor evidence that you have aplied for jobs. Its the type of visa that counts. If you have an SV you are entitled to a NI number.

Somebody on this section of visas has already posted a link to Thailand-UK. Maybe someone can find the link on that forum that covers this very subject, including the details of the tribunal where clarification of the rules were made clear.

On the subject of national insurance numbers, regardless of settlement. a Thai wife needs a NI number when her husband dies to claim widowed mothers/old age pension. She needs this even if she has never set foot in the UK.

Since I am getting on a bit, I have explored the UK NI websites, but can find nothing on how to obtain a number. It seems one has to actually be in the UK to get one.

Anybody got any info

Thanks