Phuket muscles in on Patong taxi, tuk-tuk drivers over parking spaces

snoop1130

Phuket muscles in on Patong taxi, tuk-tuk drivers over parking spaces

The Phuket News

1501498298_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Tuk-tuk and taxi drivers in Patong today were given until Thursday (Aug 3) to enjoy their current status as parking space kingpins before they will be relegated to occupy only 21 taxi ranks in Phuket’s busiest resort town, instead of the 84 they now operate.

The news was handed down by the Provincial Public Transportation Committee (PPTC) at Patong Police Station this morning (July 31).

About 30 of the “public transport” drivers waited outsided the police station while the news was delivered. Many of them carried worried expressions on their faces.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-muscles-in-on-patong-taxi-tuk-tuk-drivers-over-parking-spaces-63259.php#OBpx00zEvD8xTJZg.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-7-31

It's only temporary surely, these moron drivers won't be told and will revert to their usual standover tactics for the high season.

Surely it'd be better to revise the fares down from their current astronomical levels

'If you are not happy, we have no choice,” he said. 'Don’t blame us,” he repeated time and again says the head of the traffic police to the drivers.

What a wimp. HE should be standing behind the decision, not crying to his driver mates.

If he did his job properly the army wouldn't be getting called in. The man should be sacked for comments like this.

2 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Will it be safe to park my car in any of the newly liberated parking spaces ?

I wouldn't... lol

without wanting to appear too negative.... this initiative will fail

oops... I did it, didn't I? Too negative :cheesy:

11 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

Lets see what transpires on the 3rd....LOL

What will happen is what always happens. They will vacate the spaces for a week or so then return to "normal"....There is no longer term enforcement.

Too little, too late. 

Due to the transport debacle on Phuket, the majority of tourist coming here now use prearranged coach buses for the duration of their trip.

In any case, it is laughable that it takes a Nation's defence force to enforce motor vehicle parking laws, and that's after 3 years of inaction, if it actually happens at all.

22 hours ago, stuarty said:

What will happen is what always happens. They will vacate the spaces for a week or so then return to "normal"....There is no longer term enforcement.

They will just park wherever they want anyway..........allocated parking spaces, pfffff!

49 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Well, it's 3 August. Anything happening on the beach road regarding tuk tuk parking?

Perhaps our forum transport correspondent, who lives in Patong, could give an on-the-spot report.

I think rain stopped play :smile: