"hidden" "ethnic" Restaurant Wonders Of Pattaya!

Jingthing

Well, there is a fairly decent Brazilian Churrascaria in Bangkok. I think a New York style deli would be hard to do here but I heard there is a very good one in Singapore with New York prices as well. Moroccan is a good idea, with belly dancing, and a full feast. That food would be doable here. The closest we get in Pattaya is that Turkish place ... not very close.

Brazilian Churrascaria in Bangkok

http://www.fogovivo.com/

Turkish in Pattaya

http://www.door2doorpattaya.com/alaturka.php

Deli in Singapore

http://singapore-raffles.raffles.com/z912/restaurant_12.html

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Brazilian joint in Bangkok could do the same thing in Pattaya and get even better crowds. Their price is remarkably reasonable when compared to Manhattans Steak House which in my view is a ripoff.

Fogo Vivo Bangkok, note the great lunch promotion!

Pricing

Baht 490++: All you can eat Salad Bar and Grilled Meats, Poultry and Seafood, Dessert, Coffee and Tea

From Baht 175 Net: Brazilian Snack Plates and Set Lunches

From Baht 190 Net: Hot and Cold Sandwiches in the Bar

Dinner: Baht 990++. All you can eat Salad Bar and Grilled Meats, Poultry and Seafood, Dessert, Coffee and Tea (Please note that the selection of meats at dinner is greater, with more imported items)

Sunday "Brunch": Baht 620++ All you can eat Salad Bar and Grilled Meats, Poultry and Seafood, Pasta Station, Egg Station, Kids Buffet, Dessert, Coffee and Tea. Until 5.00pm.

Edited by Jingthing

Have you tried Fogo Vivo? How does it compare to the real thing. I think the current price for a decent churrasco in SP or Rio today is around 150-300 baht (10-20 reals), but if the quality was otherwise on par I wouldn't mind spending the extra money. The website does say "imported and local meats" so I guess it will be so/so ....

Agree with you on the Manhattan thing though.

Edited by Phil Conners

Have you tried Fogo Vivo? How does it compare to the real thing. I think the current price for a decent churrasco in SP or Rio today is around 150-300 baht (10-20 reals), but if the quality was otherwise on par I wouldn't mind spending the extra money. The website does say "imported and local meats" so I guess it will be so/so ....

You can't compare to Rio quality or prices. Good meat is expensive in Thailand. I have tried Fogo Vivo three times and I have also had Churrascaria in Rio and the US. It is not as good as good places in Rio or the US. But it still good. And totally worth it. For Thailand. Extra money? How about a ticket to Rio? Now thats extra money. BTW, there are usually South American people eating there (as if they have another choice for this food, but still a good sign.)

You might know there are cheap churrascaria places in Rio where the meat is low grade and the prices are cheap. Fogo Vivo is most definitely better than those places.

BTW, they have killer caipirinhas!

Edited by Jingthing

There are two seafood joints at the very end of the Jomtien Beach Road. (After that, to continue you must turn left). One is really at the end, and the other is on the left hand side very near the very end.

I have always tried the one on the left hand side (not the other way which is really at the every end) and a recent visit I found it as well priced and as good as ever, and no other farangs in site. Were you talking about the other one (at the very end)?

I must say the service at the one I go to has always been comically horrendous, but I consider it part of the entertainment.

The large open restaurant on your left before the end of Jomtien Beach Road is Poo Pen (Live Crab), excellent whatever you order, as is the one facing you at the end, where the road turns left. Daytime or evening, won't go wrong.

Thanks for that.

Is this one Poo Pen? There is no English sign.

post-37101-1173701572_thumb.jpg

I have no idea why that Bangkok street scene is showing, just look at the sign. On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if Pattaya had Bangkok style TAXI METERS to whisk us in comfort to our favorite out of the way restaurants?

post-37101-1173701688_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Yup, sign says Poo Pen.

> wouldn't it be nice if Pattaya had Bangkok style TAXI METERS to whisk us in comfort

> to our favorite out of the way restaurants?

Yes, but chances are you'll end up not with Bangkok style taxi meters but with Chiang Mai style taxi meters, driven by promoted baht-bus drivers who just wait around near tourist sites (instead of driving around) and then come up with all kinds of surcharges.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a good one - in fact one of the best I have found in a very long while, and will be of particular interst to those living east of Sukhumvit.

It's an Italian restaurant called Ticinos -been there for a few years already and is run by a smartly dressed, charming Swiss gentleman.

The restaurant is 100% open air, but the ambience is divine, and the food is excellent and very reasonably priced. They do the full range of Italian pasta dishes, steaks, veal, other anti pasta choices, and pizzas.

There were 4 of us and 3 had steaks, (the most expensive item on the menu) and I had veal. We had deserts, coffees, and an after dinner drink. The total price was 2,000 Baht.

The steaks melted in your mouth ( I know because I ate half of the wife's) and my guest said it was the best Italian meal he had eaten in Thailand - and believe me he is very fussy about his food.

Meine Host takes the orders himself, and as he speaks fluent Thai, he was very useful at explaining the dishes to our Thai wives, and also offering alternative sources, garnishes, pasta etc.

While we were dining was a constant passage of people coming to buy pizzas to take away, and we could see the loving care put into making each pizza from where we were sitting. The staff worked very hard and I guess they must be good.

If you want a nice meal out, without venturing across the great Sukhumvit divide, you could do a lot worse than Ticinos.

From Sukhumvit, you proceed along Siam Country Club Road until you reach the cross roads (with flashing lights, where you turn right to go to the elephant sanctuary.)

You turn right at this crossroads (left if coming from the lake), go past the Wat and Soi Muslim and keep going until the road forks left to the sanctuary. At this fork you bare right, and about 100 meters further along you will see Ticinos on the left, and a sign for Ticinos parking on the right. Their phone numbers: 038 734992, and 0846767376