Paying Duty on Imports

OliverKlozerof

1) Seems like a few years ago I could find a kind of table or schedule that listed what duty you might have to pay on different categories of imports. Well, I searched again a bit but could only find an example at the Thai government site showing 60% duty. Anyhow, I might buy a small, Chinese made, electric travel guitar from Singapore. Do you know what the duty might be on such an item? 

2) Also, I googled "duty/import tax" to try to understand the rationale behind it. I guess most countries have one, on some products at least. The rationale seems to be to "level the playing field" so that citizens of a country are still able to compete in certain products. For example, Country A may levy a duty on imports of cheaper beef from Country B so that ranchers of Country A are able to keep their livelihood.

In the case of Thailand, some duties may make some sense in this way. But, if I'm to pay a duty on this Chinese made mini guitar (which I have been unable to find in Thailand), how does my importing it harm a theoretical Thai worker or company? Or, is much of the customs import duty business just a racket to extort money from people who have the means to import products from abroad (i.e., the elite/wealthy)?

3) Have you found any ways to get around it?

I just received something the vendor declared @ $200 AUD....

I was charged 7000฿ in import duties/fees....

That would be close to your 60%.....

My item was only available from the UK & AUS.... 

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp?lang=en&left_menu=menu_integrated_tariff_search

this and its left menu's is where you can find it all

I was recently charged 10% + 7 % vat on some fitness equipment

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp?lang=en&left_menu=menu_integrated_tariff_search

seems to be 40% on  string instruments, dont forget its taxed on shipping and price and after the tax vat is applied.