Want to Sell House, BUT don't know WHERE to Start ??

Hi guys,  

I have been researching for a few days now,  I'm really headache,  don't know where to start,  I have bought and sold condo before,  but never felt like this difficult.

Well,  I have a Townhouse ( NOT a big name village ) used as an office (fully equipped), and now we're moving abroad.  I have tried to find the place to list it,  I have tried online ( eg. Prakard.com),  but what is stop me is I can't find my village from their default options,  so I have no idea where to start the post.

Also,  I have talked with several local Agents ( you know, found them from their Ad. board handing on the post outside 711  ),  but they seemed all need to nominate selling of my property ( They ask me to sign a year long contract to operate for me, but I don't want it that way).

So,  Please,  if you guys knowhow,  please share.  Or if there is any more website that possible to make a post,  please share :wai::wai::wai:

Thanks so much guys !!!

Edited by 911

I have sold two Preuksa Real estate houses in Bangkok , both townhouses.

Advertised on several free Real Estate sites on the internet. No response at all except from agents wanting 3% commission to do what I had obviously just done.

Made up some A4 posters with picture of house and stuck them on walls and lamp posts nearby.  No response.

Put a for sale sign up on the front gate.  A lot of interest and several offers from people who were living in the village who had interested relatives. Sold to one of these and gave 5000 baht to the lady who introduced her relative.

In both cases sold the houses within 4 weeks (  research honestly what similar property in your village is selling for ....check out ddproperty.com to do this ) If you want to sell ....price right and make sure that when buyers come your house looks clean and clutter free like a hotel lobby )

Did not use a lawyer at all. Downloaded a contract of sale ( in Thai ) from the internet and adjusted it to suit our property. 

In the contract don't forget to set down everything included in the sale ....i.e air conditions ,  fixtures and fittings etc. If you want to remove everything you have installed, do most of it beforehand and repair any holes etc in the walls so that it looks neat.

Received a 10,000  baht deposit from buyer as sign of good faith. 

In the first sale, the buyer was borrowing from a bank ( mortgage ) and the bank sent someone to inspect the place before granting loan. On the day agreed to exchange contracts we all met at the land office to change ownership. Money and title deeds were exchanged with witnesses from the office plus I took a few pictures and a short video ' souvenir '

In the second sale it was a cash purchase so we sat in the office counting out a couple of million baht ( took a while )

It often happens at the land office that a bit of corruption occurs. The seller declares the sale price at a lot lower than the real sale price. This results in a lot less tax being paid. The resultant saving is then divided equally between buyer , seller and corrupt official. Only mention this as it might crop up and if you don't go along with it things may drag along a bit slowly.

Good luck with it. Not as difficult as a lot of people will have you believe provided your house is presentable. 

21 hours ago, Denim said:

Advertised on several free Real Estate sites on the internet. No response at all except from agents wanting 3% commission to do what I had obviously just done.

Made up some A4 posters with picture of house and stuck them on walls and lamp posts nearby.  No response.

Put a for sale sign up on the front gate.  A lot of interest and several offers from people who were living in the village who had interested relatives. Sold to one of these and gave 5000 baht to the lady who introduced her relative.

In both cases sold the houses within 4 weeks (  research honestly what similar property in your village is selling for ....check out ddproperty.com to do this ) If you want to sell ....price right and make sure that when buyers come your house looks clean and clutter free like a hotel lobby )

Did not use a lawyer at all. Downloaded a contract of sale ( in Thai ) from the internet and adjusted it to suit our property. 

In the contract don't forget to set down everything included in the sale ....i.e air conditions ,  fixtures and fittings etc. If you want to remove everything you have installed, do most of it beforehand and repair any holes etc in the walls so that it looks neat.

In the first sale, the buyer was borrowing from a bank ( mortgage ) and the bank sent someone to inspect the place before granting loan. On the day agreed to exchange contracts we all met at the land office to change ownership. Money and title deeds were exchanged with witnesses from the office plus I took a few pictures and a short video ' souvenir '

In the second sale it was a cash purchase so we sat in the office counting out a couple of million baht ( took a while )

It often happens at the land office that a bit of corruption occurs. The seller declares the sale price at a lot lower than the real sale price. This results in a lot less tax being paid. The resultant saving is then divided equally between buyer , seller and corrupt official. Only mention this as it might crop up and if you don't go along with it things may drag along a bit slowly.

Good luck with it. Not as difficult as a lot of people will have you believe provided your house is presentable. 

I agree. You can also look on Facebook for groups that sell property in your area aand advertise on there, that is how we sold our last house. In my experience estate agents here Thai and farang are useless. They will come and take photos of your place and put it on their website, if it sells they get their money. No marketing or promotion involved no house show days etc. 

A real problem these days trying to get a buyer. My house in Bang Saray has been on the market on and off for a couple of years now with just time wasters and wimdow shoppers coming to look. It is not in a new housing estate and I have come to realize that this is a big problem. Two or three foreigners would have gladly bought it but their Thai lady's would have none of it.....they wanted the newest house going .....to show off to friends I suppose, don't really know.

I see one of the reply's said agents wanted 3% commission? and the rest say I.......here for the past number of years it has gone up to 5 %.....but as he says, for doing nothing. They don't even want to get off their bum.to take the photos, they want you to do it for them. They never call to have a look at the house to give themselves an idea of what they're selling, so when the odd time they do bring a customer it is the owner that has to do all the talking.

I  and wife have sold a few houses in Bangkok. The post by Denim gives an accurate picture of how to do it.  Housing agents are worthless- they do nothing and simply wait for someone to respond. then charge 3-5%.  There are individual Thais who go around trying to match potential buyers and sellers.  They want 3% of sale price.  I used one of these once and it worked well. No contract- a verbal agreement.

As the poster indicated- I put up a For Sale sign on the house and I also put up signs on lamp posts and electric posts in the area I lived and a few neighboring areas. This generated interest and eventually made a sale.  In both instance- it took almost a year to make the sale.

Make sure you have the Chanot to show prospective buyers and a copy of the persons ID that is on the Chanot so the prospective buyer can see that it is  legit.

If the prospective buyer is going through a bank for financing it will take longer as the bank will come to check the property and may request a land survey involving all the other landholders adjacent to the land.  A townhouse is easier for a survey for obvious reasons.

the land office is where the transfer of the property is done. I suggest making sure you understand the tax percentages being used and any 'deals' between all the parties and the land official.

I have never used a lawyer or any official to do these transactions. Best of luck

We've sold two houses pretty quickly just by using the free websites. There's quite a lot of websites - but you need to be able to search and put the details in Thai. If you're only doing it in English, that's a handicap.

I'm not sure which ones the buyers found us through but I put them on maybe 4 or 5 of the best-known free websites and we were done and dusted within 2 months in both cases. It's not true that Thais don't buy 2nd-hand. But it's a lot easier if you can sort it out in Thai as a seller.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

On 4 August 2017 at 5:31 PM, Denim said:

Sounds like a job well done.

Only suggestion I would add is to make / receive payment by bank cashiers cheque, to save on the long winded cash counting exercise.

Also why not try Thai Vias Forum marketing facility, I look at it often if only for comparison. But often some bit of land has caught my eye.

Edited by Tofer
Add comment

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2017 at 5:31 PM, Denim said:

Hi Denim,  sorry for didn't update the post for month, I didn't expect a reply like this, really,  it is just awesome !!!   Thanks so much,  I will defintely give a try to put some signs around,  my house is a corner unit,  I hope other people in the village may want to upgrade theirs LOL

On 06/08/2017 at 1:39 AM, KhaoNiaw said:

We've sold two houses pretty quickly just by using the free websites. There's quite a lot of websites - but you need to be able to search and put the details in Thai. If you're only doing it in English, that's a handicap.

I'm not sure which ones the buyers found us through but I put them on maybe 4 or 5 of the best-known free websites and we were done and dusted within 2 months in both cases. It's not true that Thais don't buy 2nd-hand. But it's a lot easier if you can sort it out in Thai as a seller.

Possible to share some free websites that you have used ?  :wai:

4 minutes ago, 911 said:

I have made post there for weeks (in English) however very quiet ...

Yes.....that is the same experience as I had. Posted on 4 different sites with no replys except agents.

Might be also that it is a bit more difficult to sell right now because the economy is a bit sluggish.

Good luck with it anyhow.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:21 AM, 911 said:

Possible to share some free websites that you have used ?  :wai:

We had them on 

https://www.kaidee.com/ 
http://www.clickthaihome.com
http://www.hometodays.com/
We did more but I can just find my log-in emails from these ones. Just google and a whole bunch come up. They don't all get many views and you get some agents, but not too many. 

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes.....that is the same experience as I had. Posted on 4 different sites with no replys except agents.

Might be also that it is a bit more difficult to sell right now because the economy is a bit sluggish.

Good luck with it anyhow.

The vast majority of Thais are buying on financing, and much of that financing is builder-financing of new properties. So it's much easier for a Thai person to buy a brand new house than a used house.

With re-sales of used houses, sales depend far more on people who actually have cash-in-hand. That market is very small among Thais.

And the market of farangs buying houses (as opposed to condos, which they can legally own) is even smaller.

Edited by Senechal

8 hours ago, Senechal said:

With re-sales of used houses, sales depend far more on people who actually have cash-in-hand. That market is very small among Thais.

It's really not as small as people would have you believe. Both our houses went to first-time buyers who were able to get mortgages. Location was the important factor in both cases and it wasn't any more difficult for them to get the loan on a used home than it would have been new.

Edited by KhaoNiaw