Accomodation and private school

joehawkins

Hi Folks ,

May I ask some of the residents some advice  , I am looking at prices for a small but nice room /apartment to rent in Chiang Mai

and  private international school for my son , I am not looking at anything to exclusive but fairly decent , could any abody advise me on how much

roughly this would cost per month ?

all advice is greatly appreciated

LIST -- Lanna international school

CMIS-- Chiang Mai International School

NIS -- Nakorn Payap International School

Google school name.

International schools will only accept students who live at home or stay in approved homestays with guardians. They cannot stay alone no matter the age.

Satit is located on the CMU main campus, on the Suthep Rd side..so it is a public school, but students are taught in Thai.  It is cheap and good, but like the better State Units in America, it is very competitive to get a seat.  LIST is well above average, but uses a British curriculum, and CMIS uses a US curriculum, but I think both use mainly teachers certified in their own countries.

many thanks for the information ,very much appreciated   I am trying to find a school that also has farang or mixed children so my son wont feel isolated as my wife lives in a very rural part of lampang and from what I gather the local primary school isn't up to much , the other issue I have is that he has lived in in England for sometime and doesn't speak Thai , so he wont understand a word the teachers and other kids are saying,  so I need a good school whilst I am working in the UK , once again thanks for the info

10 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

If my kid was Thai, I would send him to CMU Satit (demonstration school) and even if Grandma offered to pay for Prem (most expensive international school); I would likely still choose Satit, and let grandma keep the 500,000 per year difference.

You can't just send a child to Satit, there's the minor challenge of competing against more than a thousand applicants from around the area.  A very good choice if your child can get in, though.

Varee International School (Cambridge Curriculum/best facilities), LIST (Cambridge Curriculum/longer established),  CMIS (US Curriculum/Oldest International School in town), NIS (US Curriculum I believe/).  These schools are all going to cost you in the region of 200,000 a year, give or take and I'd advise a visit to all of them before deciding where to live.  Traffic at school times can be brutal and many people are (rightly) apprehensive about sending their little ones off in the care of a red songthaw or minibus maniac every morning.

My guess is price is important to u.
Forget Prem etc.
A friend, an intelligent and educated man, sent his daughter to a Muslim school which he said is genuinely secular and he was very pleased.
I believe the name is Wichai Wittaya on Changklan Rd nr CM Land
He says all included about 130k per annum.
Nong Hoi might be a good place to live not so expensive and not far away.
Riverside Condo might suit.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Keep in mind everyone that the student does not understand Thai.  Only international schools with all-day English curriculum would be appropriate for the boy.  Of course, the international schools also offer courses in Thai as a foreign language.

NIS is pretty good.  On the second ring road so easy to get to.  Not a uniform school and a pretty good mix of races/cultures, a bit more laid back.  My kids are middle and high school and really like the teachers.  Keeps them interested in learning.  Tuition not that cheap but definitely not Prem prices.  Here is the tuition link:

http://www.nis.ac.th/admissions/fee-schedule/

Good luck!

You may also like to look into Bi-lingual schools, which are usually cheaper than International Schools - language lessons  in Thai and English, and Thai and English speaking staff present in every class. Have a look.

We have experience at Ambassador Bilingual School, which is also opening an International School on the campus. You can decide which kind of education best fits your child there.

Good Luck, there is lots to choose from.