Waking in the middle of traffic? Why?

joeyg

I see it often here in Pattaya But yesterday was really something to see.  There were a group of men who's is nationality I will not state, six of them. They were walking north on second road completely occupying the left lane/bhat bus lane and half of the lane next to it going towards the center of the road. Two of them were walking hand-in-hand or more accurately "Pinky to pinky"  The other two were walking with their arm over their friends shoulder and the last guy was holding the hand of the man on the end.

The other day there was a Middle-aged couple who were walking north on second road completely blocking the left lane. The lane where the bhat buses pull over.  Anyway I see it constantly here. And it makes me wonder are people just completely oblivious?  Or fatalistic with a death wish?  Or what?

I find crossing second road a very risky and sketchy proposition Even on a light traffic day.

Anyone else ever seen this recurring phenomenon? Or have any thoughts whatsoever on why people would put themselves in harms way walking in a lane of a very busy street?

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Anyone else ever seen this recurring phenomenon?

Yes - all the time.

Chinese pushing/pulling suitcases along 3rd Road in the road even where there is a "serviceable" pavement. Wandering across a busy road thinking the traffic is going to get out of their way..........

I guess you were referring to people from the Indian sub continent in your OP. They really irritate me when they spread themselves across whatever soi they are walking down and act surprised that they are blocking traffic from getting past whether that be a car or a motor bike.

I think there's just a fairly sizeable proportion of people, no matter where they're from, who when they go away leave their brains in the hotel when they go out, even when it comes to something as important as perceptual awareness when wandering the roads of a country with an atrocious road safety record.  With some nationalities though, given the seeming VERY high proportion that wander around brainlessly, you'd think 'stupid' was a pre-requisite to getting a passport.  The way they do it does seem to imply differing prevailing mindsets, from 'I'm on holiday - no need to think', through total lack of self awareness through to total bloody arrogance (very noticeable, though not exclusively, I find with some tourists from the oil states) all with the 'my safety is your responsibility' outlook.  Even when driving / riding at a speed well within safety limits for the conditions the potential for these crazies to step out of nowhere is amazing.

All of them of course likely to create absolute merry hell, with families baying for blood, in the event of their loved one(s) getting wiped up while wandering the streets in 'prat mode'.  Irritating as hell I agree, especially when you're one of the drivers that has to swerve / brake suddenly to get out of their way.  

Edited by SooKee

They do it for attention and because they can get away with It!

Not to worry, a day will come when you see one or all of the misfits smashed into a vehicles grill or dragged under a vehicle for 5 blocks!

I see the Chinese do it every day here probably because they are just stupid.  I intentionally gave one a little push today with my fender. It's a very common occurrence that blacks in the states don't use sidewalks probably rebelling against society and authority like in every other aspect of their lives.  I especially love it when they do it all dressed in black at night.  When lying in the hospital with a shattered spine I wonder if they will think their rebellion was worth it.

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 5.52.43 PM.png

I see it often here in Pattaya But yesterday was really something to see.  There were a group of men who's is nationality I will not state, six of them. They were walking north on second road completely occupying the left lane/bhat bus lane and half of the lane next to it going towards the center of the road. Two of them were walking hand-in-hand or more accurately "Pinky to pinky"  The other two were walking with their arm over their friends shoulder and the last guy was holding the hand of the man on the end.

Definitely Indians...haha ..filthy, disgusting and smelly and stingy.. I know How? In india men hold hands together while eve teasing women..weird country and weird people.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

53 minutes ago, Dizer said:

Definitely Indians...haha ..filthy, disgusting and smelly and stingy.. I know How? In india men hold hands together while eve teasing women..weird country and weird people.

Walking along beach road with my lady, 3 Indians arms round shoulders, 1 staring so hard at my lady barged into me ! I shouted in his face but of course no apology....ignorant race .

I see it all the time but not in Thailand. I see it on military bases where soldiers will walk 5 or 6 abreast down a road and won't even bother moving when they realise there is a vehicle up their ass. Usually it is Brits and Yanks but others do it also. Guess they think they are invincible. I don't honk as they have guns and I don't :smile:

1 hour ago, Dizer said:

You will find men in many countries walk arm in arm or holding hands. Seen it in eastern Europe, middle east, central asia. The first time I saw it was in the Balkans and I was taken aback as you don't see that much in UK. The surprising thing is that most of the countries I see it in are more homophobic and of a certain religion that would be happy to stone gay men to death. Crazy world.

Both Chinese and Indian tourist in Pattaya think nothing of walking into you. I guess that's what's done in their country. For survival I had learned to stand my ground and walk into them if it is necessary to avoid being knocked out of the way. Not the way I want to be.

There have been many postings about Chinese in the middle of the street CM walking or stopping their motorbikes in the middle of the street to talk. My taxi driver was very patient driving down Soi 13/2 in Pattaya when the Chinese walking in the middle of the street didn't move out of the way. I wonder if drivers in China are as courteous.

18 hours ago, topt said:

Yes - all the time.

Chinese pushing/pulling suitcases along 3rd Road in the road even where there is a "serviceable" pavement. Wandering across a busy road thinking the traffic is going to get out of their way..........

I guess you were referring to people from the Indian sub continent in your OP. They really irritate me when they spread themselves across whatever soi they are walking down and act surprised that they are blocking traffic from getting past whether that be a car or a motor bike.

Yes , Yes  that's It!  Thank you for your frank response to an honest question.  "They really irritate me when they spread themselves across whatever soi they are walking down and act surprised that they are blocking traffic from getting past whether that be a car or a motor bike." And you really "hit the nail on the head."  I find myself feeling the same.  Only I don't get irritated.  I feel more bewildered/dumbfounded.  I think describes it better.  I spent several tours of duty over the years in India providing medical care to locals via NGOs.  After my last 6 month stint in West Bengal I swore I'd never go back.

18 hours ago, SooKee said:

I think there's just a fairly sizeable proportion of people, no matter where they're from, who when they go away leave their brains in the hotel when they go out, even when it comes to something as important as perceptual awareness when wandering the roads of a country with an atrocious road safety record.  With some nationalities though, given the seeming VERY high proportion that wander around brainlessly, you'd think 'stupid' was a pre-requisite to getting a passport.  The way they do it does seem to imply differing prevailing mindsets, from 'I'm on holiday - no need to think', through total lack of self awareness through to total bloody arrogance (very noticeable, though not exclusively, I find with some tourists from the oil states) all with the 'my safety is your responsibility' outlook.  Even when driving / riding at a speed well within safety limits for the conditions the potential for these crazies to step out of nowhere is amazing.

All of them of course likely to create absolute merry hell, with families baying for blood, in the event of their loved one(s) getting wiped up while wandering the streets in 'prat mode'.  Irritating as hell I agree, especially when you're one of the drivers that has to swerve / brake suddenly to get out of their way.  

Thank you for your insight.  I live just outside Pattaya but spend a fare amount of time "downtown."  I really appreciate your input.  I have found myself thinking, "Am I the only one that thinks this is complete madness."  Driving I rarely do.  the times I have though have been nerve racking.  And I'm a former "driving enthusiast."  Friend ask me what it's like to live in Thailand.  I usually say something like , "The most dangerous thing I do is crossing the street.  I have dreams of getting a motorcycle.  Been riding and racing bikes for a while since I was 14.  No way, not in Thailand.

Your post is very well said.  And completes the picture quite well of what I was drawing attention to.

17 hours ago, lucjoker said:

i never saw this ....If they pass in front of my car ,i would probably drive over them .....because 

i drive in the same "mode" as they are......i'm on holly day too.....lol

:drunk::intheclub::drunk:

16 hours ago, Kabula said:

They do it for attention and because they can get away with It!

Not to worry, a day will come when you see one or all of the misfits smashed into a vehicles grill or dragged under a vehicle for 5 blocks!

Really!  I never thought of it that way.  Knowing "their" mentality as I do, it's really not an unreasonable theory.

14 hours ago, csabo said:

I see the Chinese do it every day here probably because they are just stupid.  I intentionally gave one a little push today with my fender. It's a very common occurrence that blacks in the states don't use sidewalks probably rebelling against society and authority like in every other aspect of their lives.  I especially love it when they do it all dressed in black at night.  When lying in the hospital with a shattered spine I wonder if they will think their rebellion was worth it.

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 5.52.43 PM.png

Interesting food for thought, now that you mention it.

13 hours ago, Kevbo said:

Walking along beach road with my lady, 3 Indians arms round shoulders, 1 staring so hard at my lady barged into me ! I shouted in his face but of course no apology....ignorant race .

Unfortunately I've had similar experience.  I try to stay pretty aware of my surroundings always.  I will sometimes stop, move to the side and just give them a wide area to pass.  I love people watching.  I truly find this phenomenon fascinating.

13 hours ago, MW72 said:

I see it all the time but not in Thailand. I see it on military bases where soldiers will walk 5 or 6 abreast down a road and won't even bother moving when they realise there is a vehicle up their ass. Usually it is Brits and Yanks but others do it also. Guess they think they are invincible. I don't honk as they have guns and I don't :smile:

Spent time in the US military.  Many years ago.  I think I vaguely remember doing that only on the way back from partying and completely drunk.  We didn't carry weapons on shore leave usually.

13 hours ago, MW72 said:

You will find men in many countries walk arm in arm or holding hands. Seen it in eastern Europe, middle east, central asia. The first time I saw it was in the Balkans and I was taken aback as you don't see that much in UK. The surprising thing is that most of the countries I see it in are more homophobic and of a certain religion that would be happy to stone gay men to death. Crazy world.

Yes your right!

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

Both Chinese and Indian tourist in Pattaya think nothing of walking into you. I guess that's what's done in their country. For survival I had learned to stand my ground and walk into them if it is necessary to avoid being knocked out of the way. Not the way I want to be.

There have been many postings about Chinese in the middle of the street CM walking or stopping their motorbikes in the middle of the street to talk. My taxi driver was very patient driving down Soi 13/2 in Pattaya when the Chinese walking in the middle of the street didn't move out of the way. I wonder if drivers in China are as courteous.

Like I've said I've spent a fair amount of time in India.  A little in China so I know the drill.  Here in Thailand I do my best to avoid contact or just go completely around.  Driving in China is insane.