Prescription Glasses and Prescription Glasses in Bangkok.

Kjglen

Hi all,

I have quite a high prescription (-10 in both eyes) and therefore require my glasses for pretty much everything. 

Unfortunately, my glasses have broken and I need to get some new ones ASAP. I don't need a prescription. As I have to wear glasses a lot I don't mind spending a bit on them, (my ones which broke were designer ones, and I'd be looking for the same).

I have been trying to research and having very mixed reviews. Anyone got any good recommendations? I live in BKK so area doesn't really matter.

Thanks in advance 

I cannot help you with a place to get glasses ASAP in BKK however I can tell you where to get a backup pair at a very reasonable price if you are willing to wait for two or so weeks.  Go to zennioptical.com and put in your prescription details, choose your frames and pay. There is a video on how to order on the site.

I have progressive transition glasses with titanium rimless frames and they cost me about USD200.

If you need to update your prescription go to Dr. Paradon at St. Louis hospital in Sathorn.  He is thoroughly professional giving both an eye exam as well as a prescription.  He speaks excellent English.  Cost is about 1500 baht.  He just does your eye exam and doesn't push you to buy glasses from the hospital.  Don't go to one of the chain optical shops for an eye test, these people who preform the tests are virtually untrained.

Not an immediate solution for you... although i'm sure you have at least two pairs of glasses anyway (especially with that prescription...) but my sister was -10 and had successful lasik several years ago.

Lasik is always improving even more, and now Relex is another option - google it - but TRSC has had it as an option for a few years, and now have seen it advertised at Bangkok General also. (by the way, i had PRK laser refractive correction done over 25 years ago, and i still consider the best money i've ever spent - and that was before the more comfortable lasik and better wavefront lasers.....)

Edited by coops

You did not say what type of glasses you need but I can tell you it is difficult to get a decent, hi-index pair of progressives in Bangkok for less than B25,000.

I also used Zennioptical.com and got my progressives (also a high perscription) in 10 days, delivered in Bangkok. $130 i got my prescription done a Rutnin Eye Hospital in Asok

If you really do need them immediately, there are a number of optical shops on Petchabury near Ratchthewi BTS..They will bargain a bit but they will pressure you a lot to trade-up, as will almost every  optical store you go in to.

Don't expect to get them same day anywhere...usually 3 to 4 days.