Phuket hidden travel gems advice from locals

Xaos

Well I wasn't really about to date about Nui beach. Last time I have been there was about 2012 and back then it was 250 Baht for entry including a sunbed and a beer. Didn't think it was such a bad deal as the owner would have to maintain the road as well (which gets washed out in every wet season) and sunbed+beer was 180 Baht everywhere in Phuket anyway. The new price of 350 without any drink and the mafia stories seem to make it quite unappealing. 

@csaboPlease let us know your experience.

31 minutes ago, wump said:

Well I wasn't really about to date about Nui beach. Last time I have been there was about 2012 and back then it was 250 Baht for entry including a sunbed and a beer. Didn't think it was such a bad deal as the owner would have to maintain the road as well (which gets washed out in every wet season) and sunbed+beer was 180 Baht everywhere in Phuket anyway. The new price of 350 without any drink and the mafia stories seem to make it quite unappealing. 

You can't let criminals seize possession of public beaches for obvious reasons. I am sure most of the visitors were unaware they were contributing to a criminal enterprise. I will definitely recon the area and report back. 

Nui Beach is absolutely stunning and peaceful. You need to bring along your motorbike skills though. Tough road.
Full of rubbish. Plasic bootles etc. Now

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

On 8/12/2017 at 1:22 PM, wump said:

Assuming we're talking about the same beach (from Rawai towards the viewpoint IIRC) - I agree with everything you say.

A very active friend was visiting (a few years ago) and was sensible enough to refuse to ride a scooter, whilst happy toiling up the hill on a bicycle :shock1:  - which is how we discovered this amazing snorkelling spot.  I'd never noticed it on my own as 1) I rarely go that way and 2) riding a scooter, I'm moving quickly and concentrating on the road/possible hazards etc.

I recall it costing 200 bht for entry/sunbed plus drink (and again, IIRC) it also included a 'jeep' to take you down to the beach and back up to the road again?

Being charged to visit a beach came as a suprise, but it was definitely worth the money.

Edit - various and numerous types of reef fish, and even baby blacktip reef sharks!

Edited by dick dasterdly

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 4:59 PM, csabo said:

You can't let criminals seize possession of public beaches for obvious reasons. I am sure most of the visitors were unaware they were contributing to a criminal enterprise. I will definitely recon the area and report back. 

"You can't let criminals seize possession of public beaches" - criminals have already seized, and held for several years, Phuket's transport system, and public parking.  

It comes as no surprise the beaches would be held to ransom as well.